What's new

Article in our local paper

I was suprised to see this article in my local paper this morning. Three years ago on an Easter Sunday my brother in law and I went into the rapids in his boat to fish and Tony came out of the woods to tell us there were no fish in the area we were fishing in. We invited him on the boat to show us where to go and he took us around "his island" to another area. He was a very nice man and really seemed to have his head together. And he said the exact same thing as in the slideshow.

Too bad he doesn't know anything about shaving!

Some days that seems like the way to go. Kudos to these guys for finding refuge so close to the city. Looks like a beautiful spot.

AACJ

We get such highly inventive squatters in the Don Valley here in Toronto. It makes me wonder, what sends such people flying from their fellow man? Obviously this is a man of some resource and intelligence; what makes him and others like him spend their lives in hiding? I think that if we could find an answer to that, we might learn something useful about ourselves.

Best Regards

Graham

The paper should've used a better photo. It dehumanizes the man to show him like that. It makes look like a wild animal. They could've taken a photo of people around a fire to inject some humanity.

" ..the friends often cook dinner over an open fire, sometimes with guests, always with beer."

AACJ

We get such highly inventive squatters in the Don Valley here in Toronto. It makes me wonder, what sends such people flying from their fellow man? Obviously this is a man of some resource and intelligence; what makes him and others like him spend their lives in hiding? I think that if we could find an answer to that, we might learn something useful about ourselves.

Best Regards

Graham

Everyone is motivated by different things and have their own demons, mental illness, alcoholism etc. I doubt most of them are hiding from anything. Freedom is what it's all about. I spent two wonderful summers without a home and phone and damn what I wouldn't give to do it all again. Waking up in a tent when the sun hit the nylon shell in different, but always beautiful places, with the sounds of gurgling rivers and the wind in the trees to lull me to sleep. Doing what I wanted when I wanted and doing nothing I didn't want to do. Unfortunately I have more freekin' responsibilities now that make it unlikely I'll ever be that free again. I still have the memories though.

Grayling

Perhaps you're right, and in any case if those two men have found some measure of peace, a little trash on an otherwise unused island seems a small price to pay.

Best Regards

Graham

Top Bottom