What's new

Art of shaving your thoughts ?

No other brands would be fine. As long as they perform as good as AoS. I haven't had much luck with proraso. It makes my skin very dry. I'm sure there are many other brands out there.

I went from AoS -> The Gentlemen's Refinery (TGR) -> Mühle Organic -> MdC Unscented -> MdC Original

I have very sensitive skin. Probably the least irritating were TGR and Mühle Organic with the MdC (a soap, not a cream) having better performance. However, the MdC ones have a level of cushion and slickness not available in TGR and Mühle so it provides a closer shave. TGR and Mühle would leave the skin with a feeling of something left behind so you could almost go without a moisturizer. MdC leaves the skin with a clean feeling, so you do need a moisturizer. I currently use a face oil for that. With MdC, it helps to leave the jar open with the scented ones as that seems to reduce the concentrated scent of the essential oils that they use, making it less irritating.

Most other creams (including very pricey ones like AdP) cause my skin to start flaking, almost like a chemical burn.

Last edited:
I went from AoS -> The Gentlemen's Refinery (TGR) -> Mühle Organic -> MdC Unscented -> MdC Original

I have very sensitive skin. Probably the least irritating were TGR and Mühle Organic with the MdC (a soap, not a cream) having better performance. However, the MdC ones have a level of cushion and slickness not available in TGR and Mühle so it provides a closer shave. TGR and Mühle would leave the skin with a feeling of something left behind so you could almost go without a moisturizer. MdC leaves the skin with a clean feeling, so you do need a moisturizer. I currently use a face oil for that. With MdC, it helps to leave the jar open with the scented ones as that seems to reduce the concentrated scent of the essential oils that they use, making it less irritating.

Most other creams (including very pricey ones like AdP) cause my skin to start flaking, almost like a chemical burn.

Do they ship to US? I have the same skin issues. mine looks like I got a layer of super glue on top of my skin. Then it starts flaking.
What brand aftershave/face oil do you recommend?

Do they ship to US? I have the same skin issues. mine looks like I got a layer of super glue on top of my skin. Then it starts flaking.
What brand aftershave/face oil do you recommend?
MdC does ship to the US. It costs around 20 euro I think. The tub lasts a year. I used to use Weleda as the moisturizer, but wanted to go more natural so I use F. Miller now (they make a shave oil that is much less expensive, but I haven't tried that).

Looks like Pasteur shaving carries some of their soaps.

I like the Olibanum + Black Pepper, as well. I think it's pretty great for winter shaving. The scent is slightly dark and works well with the season (even though it's around just for the time it takes to shave). The quality of the shave I get with the cream is also pretty good.

That said, I've only tried this one, the Peppermint, and the Coriander and Cardamom. The peppermint is cooling and should work well when the temperature is hotter, like during summer. The Coriander and Cardamom has a bit more of a green scent to my thinking. It would probably be better during spring, but should also work during winter.

I just picked up "Oud" about a month ago. (came in a gift set with the Oud Suede cologne, a great deal at $50) and this one is also a winner. The scent of this one really does stick to your face hours after the shave, so it's advisable to find either an unscented or "close" aftershave (still searching). AOS has an Oud balm, but it's pricey.. I'll wait for a deal somewhere.

AOS has great creams. More expensive than most, but good quality. I would pass on the hardware (razors, brushes, and blades). They are overpriced and you could do better elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One other thing that I noticed is that the scent of AOS creams seems to stay with you and linger for several hours. Not necessarily a bad thing, but just an observation. Of you wear cologne, just make sure you wear something that doesn’t clash.

The scent of many other creams seems to fade quickly after I’m finished shaving.

Tried the unscented sample 3 pack: the preshave gel smells cinnamony due to the herbs, while the cream and as are indeed unscented. Excellent lather.

Top Bottom