What's new

Art of Shaving - worth the premium

I have always balked at the AoS stuff b/c of the sticker price, but I work for the corporate office of a large dept. store and we have started carrying it - I would get 25% off on all purchases. Is it worth trying or just expensive for the sake of being expensive?

I'm fairly certain most have tried it. You'll end up "trying" a whole lot of stuff one of these days.
As you say it may be more expensive than the less pricey products our there, but there are some priced in the same same range or higher. Use what you like, but keep your options open if you have no problems paying for them.

There old tallow based formula soap was among the best I've tried. I haven't tried there new formula. With that said, even with the discount, you could find cheaper and just as good if not better performance products online.

I have always balked at the AoS stuff b/c of the sticker price, but I work for the corporate office of a large dept. store and we have started carrying it - I would get 25% off on all purchases. Is it worth trying or just expensive for the sake of being expensive?

For 25% off I'd definitely try some of their shaving creams. A little AOS cream goes a long way. I think most here like the cream, but think it is overpriced. I haven't tried the soap, but hear decent things.

I also like their pre-shave oil quite a bit and pay retail for it, from time-to-time. Many here do not like it at all, and wouldn't buy it at any price. For 25% off, I'd try a small size to see if it works for you.

The brushes do not get very a good response here, from what I have read (no personal experience), but again mostly due to value.

You might want to check out either smaller sample sizes, or a one of their sets of assorted products. Then you know, going forward, which of their products works for you and provides value, and which do not.

The AoS (tallow) soap was previously made by Valobra in Italy; it's unclear which U.S. company makes its new, non-tallow version, though reviews seem to say that it's still excellent. Except for the brush stands, the hardware is way over priced.

I was about to post "software only" but if you get 25% off of everything, that might make some of their hardware items competitive with other vendors. For instance, their Merkur 34C is listed at $60, which is a rip-off. But if you get 25% off, then its $45, which is much more in line with on-line vendors (WCS has the 34C listed at $43.49). Also their chrome Futur (for some reason listed as the "Futura") at $90, once again a rip-off. But with the discount, its $67.50, which is actually about $10 less than average (WCS has it listed at $78.26). Also, their straight razors are made by Thiers-Issard, and their cheapest model would be $112.50 which is a good deal for a TI straight.

I have no experience with their brushes and their silvertip (size: "one size"????) is $180. Even with the discount, its $135, but you have no idea what kind of silvertip it is and what size it is. Other than the razors above, I would definitely recommend their creams. I'm a big fan of the Ocean Kelp, and with the discount, its a little less than $19.

I use their creams and AS Gel (oily skin), and think they're Okay at retail, as a small amount goes a long way. 25% off is well worth trying some.

I've got and use AOS cream and it is not overpriced. The only other creams I own that are on par with AOS cream are Trumper's cream and Crabtree& Evelyn, both of which are relatively expensive as well (and I have over 20 other creams in my collection). My measure of how good a cream is relates to its slickness, and especially its residual slickness after it is rinsed off - which means I don't have to reapply lather for a further pass.

The only thing I don't understand about AOS is the pre-shave oil they sell. Applied in small amounts, it works really well - with other lesser creams. It is totally superfluous with AOS's own great creams.
Regards,
Renato

Your discount makes it all the worthwhile to give it a try.

Even with the recent price increase I think AOS is high quality product, I have only used their shave creams and balms and have not tried their soaps. Their Lavender and Sandalwood are some of the best scented products in the marketplace.

There old tallow based formula soap was among the best I've tried. I haven't tried there new formula. With that said, even with the discount, you could find cheaper and just as good if not better performance products online.

what's the difference between a tallow soap and one without?

I would definitely try some of their soaps if had access to a discount like that. Give them the sniff test and pick one. If you don't like it, you should be able to sell it at a minimal loss.

I grabbed a sampler of the lemon at lunch. My wife liked it the best, and well that's what we are all shooting for right?? It came with a sample sized brush, which I guess you use on a sample sized face? I'll be giving that to one of the kids.

"sample sized face" Haha. They are tiny. I had two of those brushes which I included in kits I made up for others to dip their toe in the wetshaving experience.

"sample sized face" Haha. They are tiny. I had two of those brushes which I included in kits I made up for others to dip their toe in the wetshaving experience.

I also have one of the mini brushes. Expected it to be complete junk, based on some comments. Well, it's more of a toy than a brush, but it isn't terrible by any means. If I thought it would hold up, I might use it as a travel brush. It feels better on my face than the Tweezerman--lathers better, too.

I find it amazing they can support such a retail infrastructure.

When they only had a few shops (and fewer with barber services) it wasn't as hard to believe. But now they are freaking everywhere! It does look as though they pick their locations well, however. I wonder how many, if any, of their stores fail.

What I have tried from AoS and my thoughts:

1. Fine badger brush :thumbdown - if you like a floppy brush to work with creams, it is OK, but over priced - even at 25% off. If you want it to work with soaps - forget it.

2. Sandalwood pre-shave oil :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown - feels like slightly pliable tar. I used mine 17 times and gave it away. I would not take it if you were paying me to.

3. Sandalwood cream :blink: - shaves well, nice and easy to use. I had issues with it slowing down my sink's plumbing and leaving a thick mess in the sink that had to be cleaned weekly. It was like plaque in arteries - pleasant to get there, but not so much fun to get rid of. My wife was glad when this cream ran out, but I did use it to the end. If I was going to be traveling or getting a cream exclusively for travel, I would consider this one very highly, but it is not as convenient as a shave stick.

4. Sandalwood AS balm :thumbup1::thumbup1: - this stuff is great. It lasts a very long time and, while $40 is pricey, I will probably replace mine when it expires.

Top Bottom