What's new

Art of Shaving still in soap business?

Art of Shaving (AOS) soaps are down to lavender and lemon on the AOS website. Unscented, gone. Sandalwood, gone.

Anybody know what’s up at AOS; are they getting out of the shaving soap business to emphasize higher profit margin creams? Maybe they were getting too much push-back on $30 pucks?

Too bad. I like their shaving soap but there are other fish in the sea.

Last edited:
Art of Shaving (AOS) soaps are down to lavender and lemon on the AOS website. Unscented, gone. Sandalwood, gone.

Anybody know what’s up at AOS; are they getting out of the shaving soap business to emphasize higher profit margin creams? Maybe they were getting too much push-back on $30 pucks?

Hmmm, interesting; their shaving soap selection is down but they still have a full compliment of shaving creams. TAOS shaving soaps are still available on Amazon.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

My guess is that their reforumulation to tallow-free is not popular with those who actually would buy the soap, so sales likely down, so the least-popular ones are first to the chopping block.

TAOS shaving soaps are still available on Amazon.

Checking amazon now, and the sandalwood soap is unavailable. (Soap and bowl still there, but the refill is not.)

My guess is that their reforumulation to tallow-free is not popular with those who actually would buy the soap, so sales likely down, so the least-popular ones are first to the chopping block.

Checking amazon now, and the sandalwood soap is unavailable. (Soap and bowl still there, but the refill is not.)
You're right, sorry about that; however, it is a good looking bowl...little pricey though...

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
bowl...little pricey though...
I wouldn't pay $50 for the puck and bowl, even with tallow.

AOS has always been on the high side for pricing, but for those of their products where they do/did provide a really good quality item, it could be "worth it" for those more interested in great shaves than great saves (of money).

Plenty of $15 pucks that were not too much of a step down from the $30 AOS tallow soaps for example, and I wouldn't fault an informed shopper from choosing either option.

Alas, I will probably not be purchasing anymore AOS products. I have three pucks of unscented and one puck of sandalwood plus my other soaps so I am good...for now. :)

Thank you all for your thoughts!

I for one wouldn't be upset if they left the shaving soap business. The veg based soap just does not perform well for me, and the price is laughable. I got a puck of sandalwood a few years ago and ended up using it as a bath soap.

last AoS tallow soap I bought was a refill for $20. As I did it I thought it was a lot to pay when I can buy Haslinger for about $5 each. It is a great soap and lasts a long time but for me they’ve priced me out even at an auction site discount. I just don’t get 2-3x the enjoyment from it and there are many great alternatives.

I got AOS tallow pucks on ebay for a ridiculously low price a few years back. 3 for $20 if I recall correctly. Good stuff if you can find it

I have 3 pucks of tallow Sandalwood which should last me years and years. Not my favorite sandalwood scent, but it works.

I got a puck of Sandalwood last Christmas. I love it. But yea, there are other options. The Fine Accoutrements Santal scent seemed to be very close to the AOS Sandalwood..

If you're open to new scents, Volabra hard pucks and Czech & Speake are the same base as the AoS tallow.

Top Bottom