What's new

Art of Shaving- Sell out?

Guys. Guys. GUYS!
This gives me a great idea!
Are you ready for it?

A straight razor....with a vibrating handle! The gentle vibration helps cut through hairs and exfoliate your skin.

I better go call my mom because I'm gonna be a millionaire.:wink2:

I guess you could call it "exfoliating". I have a hunch you'll only be able to do it once, though.

Guys. Guys. GUYS!
This gives me a great idea!
Are you ready for it?

A straight razor....with a vibrating handle! The gentle vibration helps cut through hairs and exfoliate your skin.

I better go call my mom because I'm gonna be a millionaire.:wink2:

Yeah...the only problem with this is only WOMEN would buy it!!:001_tt2:

Silly. This IS the time of year when many uninformed and clueless people succumb to the wiles of advertising and plunk down good money on gimmicky small electric gadgets which they believe will become great gifts.

Does anyone remember the Gillette cartridge shaving brush from the late 80s? It came out about the same time as the Sensor. It was a round device with a synthetic shaving brush on top which contained a rubbery tube in its center through which the special shaving lather cream was dispensed. Turning the knob on its base like a deodorant stick pushed the cream product up the tube on to the brush surface. It wasn't really that good. I used one for about a year or two and grew tired of it.

not sure if it's better or worse then this, i saw it on Dragons Den a few months ago:

I had a booth at a local craft show a few weeks ago and had to explain to some teenage girls (who had seen the Dragon's Den) that, no, the brushes do not squirt shaving cream!

The thing that should have tipped you off to them is the fact that they are completely comfortable charging $175 for a Fusion razor...you can buy the same one at Walmart for $10! They charge $14 for a PACK of Merkurs for cryin out loud! I don't know how they are able to sleep at night. Just goes to prove P.T. Barnum right...there IS a sucker born every minute. Yeah..glad I never bought anything from them and never will.

Their soaps are still fantastic. Why deny yourself because some of their other stuff is gimmicked and focus grouped beyond ridicule?

Well, there's a very old and robust concept of sticking to one's principles. The company did literally sell out a few years ago to Procter & Gamble. Personally, I don't want anything to do with corporations like that and I'll add there's something particularly evil/cynical when the great enemy of traditional shaving pretends to be a friend via niche branding.

"Denying" oneself is often very healthy, productive and rewarding.

Hey, we may not like it and recognize it for the gimmick that it is, but think of all the guys out there who look at it and say, "Hey, I should give that a try." Better yet, the SWMBOs who are at their wits' ends trying to find something, ANYTHING to give their guys for Christmas, birthdays, holidays, etc can pick it up with some cream for the gee whiz factor. That's more guys on our team, and I say that's a good thing.

Laugh now boys, but when you get old and the rheumatoid arthritis kicks in, you will be kicking yourself with your walking cane for not picking one of these up. :lol:

you can complain about the company's practices all you want and about some of these gimmick devices they market, but if it wasn't for AOS I would have settled for a crappy shave with a can and a 4-blade contraption. I was an AOS guy for 3 years before I even thought about looking to see if there were other products out there. The quality of their creams, soaps, and yes even their ASB (no mention of praise for the pre-shave from me), kept me coming for more and satisfied with their software. Yes I got suckered into their power fusion and got ripped off for $150. Didn't feel that way before I discovered the world that is B&B and the products it "markets." I took care of that fusion contraption and it gave me some great shaves (really the software did but how did I know).

AOS eventually led me to B&B. From what I've read, it's done that for others as well. And I'm happy to say that even after 1.5 years on B&B, and 50 soaps later, AOS software is still tops for me. Sell out or no, they're doing something right. Whether it's creating great software or increasing the reach of wet-shaving and introducing us to vintage shaving, AOS deserves some credit for that.

Does it matter? The soap just works. In fact, it's better than that. It's one of the top soaps currently being produced. By Valobra in Italy, if it makes you feel better. And no, you are not required to buy a badger vibrator to go with it. :001_tt2:

Does it matter? The soap just works. In fact, it's better than that. It's one of the top soaps currently being produced. By Valobra in Italy, if it makes you feel better. And no, you are not required to buy a badger vibrator to go with it. :001_tt2:

It matters very much! Perhaps the thing to do is buy it from the real manufacturer and not participate in the charade, whatever the cost. FOr me, this places Valobra on a blacklist of sorts. There are more important things than money...

It matters very much! Perhaps the thing to do is buy it from the real manufacturer and not participate in the charade, whatever the cost. FOr me, this places Valobra on a blacklist of sorts. There are more important things than money...

Only 30 days in and you're already writing off two of the best soaps on the planet?

Only 30 days in and you're already writing off two of the best soaps on the planet?

I'm certainly a newbie to this forum, but I have been wet-shaving for two decades. Also: I am not writing off 2 soaps. It seems that Art of Shaving (P&G) are rebranding Valobra, with very little moral authority--the whole point to my objection. That is my issue, not the actual soap itself if "unmarketed."

Last edited:
I don't know how any of this is Valobra's fault. But, you spend your money on what makes you happy.

AOS is just high. $75 for a $52 Merkur 38CHD. $26 puck refills, Trumpers is $18, Valobra is $10. Pucks in bowls for $45, more expensive than anything similar on WCS site. $25 pure badger brushes for $55. Merkur blade 10 pk for $12, $7 @ WCS. Then they pimp those cartridge razors. Needless to say, I'm not spending a dime with AOS.

One way of looking at it is that AOS introduces people to classic shaving which is good. Another way of looking at it is that people get the impression from AOS than one must spend a lot to get into it, which isn't true, and get discouraged from pursuing it any further.

Top Bottom