What's new

Art of Shaving Retail Store Experiences

Forgive me for this post as it is a bit of a rant/ramble.

So today I decided to call up L'Occitane which has a storefront downtown in my city and it turns out, they had a Plisson Brush, their last apparently so I purchased it over the phone and went to pick it up. It seems really nice and soft and just now, I lathered it up a few times, took some getting used to as I'm used to boars, but it seems like a great brush.

The real story came next door to L'Occitane in the Art of Shaving, which I've never visited before oddly enough. I liked the way the store was set up and immediately, I started smelling Shaving Creams as that was the ONLY thing there I was interested in today. The Lemon smelled really nice, Ocean Kelp was interesting too, but the Sandalwood reminded me a little too much of Proraso, which I find too earthy and woody. I understand this is the way sandalwood should smell but right now I prefer cologne type sandalwoods.

Anyway, after a few minutes this lady that works there comes up and I start explaining how I would like to try some of these creams, but sometimes I get allergic to some fragrances or ingredients and I haven't nailed it down yet. I had concerns about the creams and was curious if they had samples. Well, she begins insulting my routine and telling me how to shower, how to shave, etc. basically, insulting what I'm using to shave with (boar brushes), and basically starts giving me a lesson on all that because she's an "expert." It was interesting because I didn't recall telling her I needed to know how to shave I just was curious about the creams. This berating continued. So she and I start going back and forth. I tell her, I have several scented creams, scented soaps, safety razors, straight razors, and I'm aware of how to shave because this is a hobby of mine and....I do this every single solitary day. The only problem I have is with some fragrances so if I can, I like trying before I buy via samples and if the product doesn't irritate me, I typically purchase it. Unfortunately, this did not change her approach to me which was baffling. Then she tells me I shouldn't be using boars and they need to be disinfected, sent off to be dry cleaned and that is what is irritating me. Also, I needed to add in their pre shave oil which was like 25 or 30 bucks and I'd be doing great, and wouldn't receive any skin reaction from their products as they've been on the market for years. Wow. These people are poor listeners.

What are your experiences at these stores? I have to say, although I was interested in the Lemon and Ocean Kelp creams, I left, she made me not want to go back and I probably won't. She said she had no samples of the scented creams by the way.

A discussion about irritation caused this exchange

Her: Using boar brushes will irritate your face
Me: I don't test creams or soaps with a brush, I lather them on my hand, then I apply them to my face with my hand to take the brush out of the equation
Her: Well are you properly sanitizing your brushes? Sending them off to be dry cleaned? This is what is causing your irritation and the bacteria is causing you infections
Me: I don't get irritated when I use the brush and I don't get irritated with any cream or soap in my current rotation, just certain new ones in my process of trying new products

Other exchanges after I got irritated:

Me: Oh you have straight razors here?
Her: Yes have you ever seen them or shaved with them?
Me: Yep, I have a couple at home.
Her: We have many made in France and Germany.
Me: Yeah, too bad ya'll only have Thiers Issards with Art of Shaving written on the blade

I approach the safety razors and immediately recognize the Muhles

Me: Nice Muhles, I've been wanting to try one.
Her: Yep those are Muhles (She mispronounces it). Have you ever shaved with a safety razor?
Me: Yep just did before I got here.
Her: Well we at Art of Shaving try to carry other manufacturer's products
Me: I'm very glad for that.

I have never been in an Art of Shaving store. But what I have done is bought from Artisan soap makers. They are some of the most helpful people ever. I have e-mailed them numerous times to ask them about soaps, scents, samples and pretty much any information I need. I even had an experience where I e-mailed a maker to tell them what soaps I have tried and ask them if there soap smelled similar. They took the time to not only read my e-mail but look up the description of the soaps I mentioned to compare in their opinion of course. I have also received FREE samples from soap makers. So I don't really see a need or desire to go into an Art Of Shaving store. Also, there are many fine online retailers that go above and beyond to help with purchasing and just general questions. If you want any names or suggestions just ask. But, I feel like you already know who I am talking about.

I visited an AoS store a few weeks ago. The sales guy there was very polite and helpful. I think you just got a bad un..

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Service varies store by store. Just like every other retailer. My experence was just the opposite. Very knowledgeable, friendly, not pushy salesman. We talked, he answered my questions, I bought some body soap and left.

It's more a reflection of the management in that particular store than AOS as a company.

It was an interesting experience. Perhaps I could try one elsewhere. Glad to hear you all didn't have the experience I had. If they would have done right by me, I'd be a customer.

There were times when I was just exasperated and could not believe the way she was acting. Oh well, hey there are plenty of other vendors to try and to respond to VW_Ninja, you are exactly right. As far as artisans go? There is no customer service in shaving like them period. Soap Commander, Knockout Shave, Mystic Waters, Caties Bubbles, etc. are above and beyond.

I appreciate that there is somewhere I can go and see products in person. However, I usually buy on-line where the prices are better. To give them their due, they make some outstanding products. The older tallow versions of their shave soap are the best soaps of the dozens I've tried. Luckily, I've got half a dozen extra pucks in storage.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
It was an interesting experience. Perhaps I could try one elsewhere. Glad to hear you all didn't have the experience I had. If they would have done right by me, I'd be a customer.

There were times when I was just exasperated and could not believe the way she was acting. Oh well, hey there are plenty of other vendors to try and to respond to VW_Ninja, you are exactly right. As far as artisans go? There is no customer service in shaving like them period. Soap Commander, Knockout Shave, Mystic Waters, Caties Bubbles, etc. are above and beyond.

Some people don't have the personality for sales and customer service. Either to shy, to assertive, or simply can't be taught. Sounds like she fit in to one of those categories.

In KC, I was rather impressed with the sales lady's willingness to let us (wife and me) try the cologne. She had pretty decent advice and she was a little pushy but, not too bad. The mark up was pretty high for my budget but, I will buy from the store as they did offer me service.

AoS is to wet shaving what Bose is to home audio--they sell low to mid-range products at high end prices. This is because their primary product is a lifestyle. And because people want to be part of something exclusive and because money is the easiest metric to measure exclusivity, like with Bose, AoS products are way overpriced.

The lecture you received was part of the sales pitch. They want you to conform to their prescribed method of shaving so you'll buy their recommended products. When I hear the person talk--and it's always a woman curiously--it's like hearing an 18 year old at Best Buy tell me about TVs. All I hear is "blah, blah, blah, I don't know what I'm talking about".

I only go there to get samples. Of course they'd rather you buy something, so that's the direction a salesperson will go. If they don't give you samples, just turn around to leave. Their balm is OK, but their oil is wayyy too thick. I used a sample and it coated my sink and gunked up my razor, so use very, very sparingly.

Last edited:
AoS is to wet shaving what Bose is to home audio--they sell low to mid-range products at high end prices. This is because their primary product is a lifestyle. And because people want to be part of something exclusive and because money is the easiest metric to measure exclusivity, like with Bose, AoS products are way overpriced.

The lecture you received was part of the sales pitch. They want you to conform to their prescribed method of shaving so you'll buy their recommended products. When I hear the person talk--and it's always a woman curiously--it's like hearing an 18 year old at Best Buy tell me about TVs. All I hear is "blah, blah, blah, I don't know what I'm talking about".

I only go there to get samples. Of course they'd rather you buy something, so that's the direction a salesperson will go. If they don't give you samples, just turn around to leave. Their balm is OK, but their oil is wayyy too thick. I used a sample and it coated my sink and gunked up my razor, so use very, very sparingly.

While the hardware is clearly overpriced and can be found for less elsewhere, some of their products are among the best made. You will find many long time members here are big fans of their soaps, creams and pre-shave products. The tallow version of their soap is not only the highest quality soap I've ever tried ( I find it superior to Martin de Candre, D.R. Harris and any of the multiple artisanal soaps I have), but it is fairly priced. While pucks of artisan soaps cost less and are bigger (Mike's, Stirling and Razorock for example), AoS is triple milled and very dense, giving far more shaves per puck. I get well over 100 shaves per puck. I also have never purchased it when not on sale, usually getting it for under $20/puck.

While the hardware is clearly overpriced and can be found for less elsewhere, some of their products are among the best made. You will find many long time members here are big fans of their soaps, creams and pre-shave products. The tallow version of their soap is not only the highest quality soap I've ever tried ( I find it superior to Martin de Candre, D.R. Harris and any of the multiple artisanal soaps I have), but it is fairly priced. While pucks of artisan soaps cost less and are bigger (Mike's, Stirling and Razorock for example), AoS is triple milled and very dense, giving far more shaves per puck. I get well over 100 shaves per puck. I also have never purchased it when not on sale, usually getting it for under $20/puck.
My commentary dealt mainly with AoS's business model and I stand by what I said--AoS is selling an exclusive lifestyle and charging for it. They aren't unique or fiendish in doing this, so I have no serious criticism with the way they do business. That said (and as you agree), their hardware borders on "gouging", charging +/-100% more than you would pay for the exact same hardware elsewhere. I'm glad that you (and others) enjoy their other products, but why would you think their software pricing is any different?

I'm not going to argue a subjective experience. AoS works well for you so you pay what you believe is a fair price (which, you'll note, is about 2/3 what they normally charge). I'm not saying their stuff is bad, just that it's not a particularly good value. Bose makes good noise-canceling headphones. Their surround sound systems are fine for what they do, but the suck for the price Bose is charging.

I'm not knocking anyone who shops there as long as they're doing so with their eyes wide open. Because, as it is, from personal experience and the testimonials I've seen, AoS has by & large mis-educated those new to wet shaving and attempted to mislead those already involved in wet shaving, all while price raping everyone who walks in their doors with hard sell tactics.

As a point of comparison, at ~$45/200g the pretty high priced MdC comes out to 4.45 g/dollar. At $30 for 3.3oz, AoS comes out to about 3.12 g/dollar.

Last edited by a moderator:
My only experience with a TAoS salesperson came in a New Jersey store. The young woman could not have been more pleasant, gave me a lathering demo (this was before I'd gotten into the hobby), and gladly handed out samples.

I went to the AoS in Tyson's Corner and they stared at me the entire time I browsed. Never asked if I needed any help, just stared. As soon as I saw the prices I left. Sorry, but I'm not paying $50 for sandalwood soap in a wooden bowl. Even Crabtree and Evelyn has their Moroccan Myrrh soap in a wooden bowl for half that price. The woman in the store was middle-aged and I figured she was the manager and she did most of the staring while the kid at the register was one of those sarcastic hipsters with the fad stubble thing that seems to be all the rage. I did not get a good vibe from that store, and if I ever want to pay $200 for a nickel-plated Fusion or Mach 3 handle, I'll find someone else. I'll stick to my trusty brass Slim that I picked up for $35 shipped and will last me the rest of my life. I don't understand how that chain stays in business with those prices.

Never been to an AOS store.
Don't plan to go to an AOS store.

Just in case someone's been wondering.

Last edited:
I've only been to two; one was in Louisville and the other, Atlanta. The experience was OK and I like and use the products my girlfriend gave me as a present. Their AS balm is among the best ones I have. Sometime I 'might' buy some of the AS lotion they just released as I've heard it's pretty good and MUCH better than the gel that was discontinued.

Top Bottom