What's new

Art of Shaving lavender

I was about a year-and-a-half into my "traditional" wetshaving career at the time. AOS creams were really nice back then - still made in England, and quite dense, relative to how they are now. I still think they're good, but they were a bit more special back then...or maybe that's just the fondness of nostalgia creeping in.

To me, AOS Lavender smells like straight-up lavender essential oil, but mildly so. It isn't as strong as TOBS Lavender, which is very nice in its own way, but not a pure lavender. It's similar in scent-strength to Kiss My Face Lavender, but KMF is not a pure lavender either.

AOS gets a lot of negative press here at B&B, often legitimately (pushy but uneducated salespeople, overpriced products). But they have nice products, and they carry those products in retail locations that are expensive to lease (high-end malls), so it's really not a surprise they command a premium.

The AOS Lavender shave cream is really good. The performance is top-notch for me, and unless I'm really off my game I always get excellent shaves with this product. I got the whole line for Christmas as a gift, otherwise the price would have kept me from ever trying AOS products...but now I'm sure I'll bite the bullet and get more when I run out. However, I may also try Castle Forbes, as the ideal would be to have AOS performance with a stronger scent.

I really enjoy the AOS Lavender. I just got my order of 2 tubs in the mail last week and it's really nice. If you check out the shopping/deals thread, you'll find a link to a site offering the Lavender tubs for like $6 each. I have no affiliation with the site, but for anyone curious about the product, it's a small price to pay for such a good thing. YMMV as always, but give it a shot if you're on the fence about it.

I liked the smell of the lavender; it wasn't overpowering, like some scents that I've come across. I have to stay out of Bath & Body Works and The Body Shop when my wife wants to go in, because the smell is so overpowering that it causes my asthma to give me fits.

AOS Sandalwood was pleasant, and the Lavender was light, but more fragrant than I expected...But it just smelled a little too frou-frou for me, so I went with the Sandalwood instead. I'm not terribly happy with the cream (it's not as slick as the Cremo that I used, nor is it as slick as the Col Conk soaps), but the scent is nice.

I think, though, when I run out I'll throw money at TOBS or Trumper's sandalwood products - I'd like to try something else that's got smells I like.

BTW, if you want samples of some soaps/creams, Maggard's Razors sells cream samples...None are AOS, but if you want to compare, it's a good place to start. :)

I really enjoy the AOS Lavender. I just got my order of 2 tubs in the mail last week and it's really nice. If you check out the shopping/deals thread, you'll find a link to a site offering the Lavender tubs for like $6 each. I have no affiliation with the site, but for anyone curious about the product, it's a small price to pay for such a good thing. YMMV as always, but give it a shot if you're on the fence about it.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/460747-50-75-off-AOS

I took advantage of this deal to try a scent that I've been wanting to try. Now if I can find a nice rose scent on sale...

With AoS being the only brick and mortar store, I started with their products and their program, which included the lavender pre-shave and cream. Somehow I got ahold of a batch with stiff consistency but it lathers with a bit of persistence, and the fragrance is rich. It did the job, and what is left of it still does. In the months to follow, I got into various acquisition disorders and stocked up on other creams, and Arko soap, before the AoS lavender ran out. It is finally getting to the bottom now. With having compared it to other products, it is not so superior, or even far above-average, to justify its expense. I will not be replacing it.

With AoS being the only brick and mortar store...

Do you mean the only B&M store in your area? AOS is the only major luxury wetshaving B&M chain I'm aware of in the US, and they're certainly the most high-profile, but they're far from the only B&M store. It's likely, though, that they're the only ones most people not into wetshaving know about when they first get into the game.

Top Bottom