What's new

Art of Shaving DE?

I had to go to Target today. Had to. I broke my arm in two places and ended up in the hospital. Target was the only pharmacy without a long wait.
So I walk down the shaving aisle and see a boxed Art of Shaving double edge in the ~$30 range. From the photo on the box, it appears to be a rebranded Merkur HD 34C. Is that accurate, is it a copy, or am I totally off?

So much for you using arms length to measure social distancing with someone that got a bad attitude. :facep:

I believe at one time AOS had an agreement with Muhle or EJ to rebrand the R89 razors for them.

I had to go to Target today. Had to. I broke my arm in two places and ended up in the hospital. Target was the only pharmacy without a long wait.
So I walk down the shaving aisle and see a boxed Art of Shaving double edge in the ~$30 range. From the photo on the box, it appears to be a rebranded Merkur HD 34C. Is that accurate, is it a copy, or am I totally off?
It's not a Merkur but appears to be a rebranded Muhle, i.e. the head is made by Muhle. It appears to be the same head that's on the Gillette Heritage razor - which would make sense as P&G is the parent company for both AOS & Gillette & AOS sells Muhle branded razors. Similar Muhle razors have been seen at Marshalls for about $15.00. Ouch - best wishes with that arm.

I thought that was the Gillette Heritage...
This one is something else that was being sold before that came out.

aos-89.png

My sister picked one up for her husband. It's a sterile (no markings on it) Muhle R89. Three-piece design, knurled handle, comes with five Gillette Platinum blades. I'll ask for a shaving report after a week.

I'm the big brother, so he'll report back to me LOL.

Update: I looked at it today. No markings on the handle (knurled) or base plate, but the head had a '4' stamped on the underside. All parts are interchangeable with my Gillette Tech, and its copies.

It comes with a tuck of five blades, and the cardboard tuck says it's made in St. Petersburg 196140, Russia.

Top Bottom