What's new

Art - I Just Don't Get It

I've got to admit it, I just don't get art. Saw one of these at an art gallery today. It cost $28,000. It reminded me of the other one, which my 7-year old daughter painted at camp this week. You'll probably be able to tell which one is which, but would you be willing to bet $28,000 on it? [emoji14]

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438397333.515902.jpg

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438397346.770392.jpg

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Wassily Kandinksy's 1909 "Studie zu Improvisation 3": Sold for $21.2 Million

proxy.php

I don't get modern art either, but I do enjoy a good Winslow Homer water color.

I love art. But it is subjective. I occasionally look at some modern art and wonder what the big deal is (yes, I'm looking at you Jackson Pollack, and others). If you are at a museum read the description provided. Sometimes that helps, sometimes not.

Like I mentioned, it is very subjective. But when you find a piece that speaks to you it reaches into your soul. Here's a link to one of my favorite paintings. The image doesn't do it justice, it is incredibly powerful in person. http://blog.cummermuseum.org/2011/12/1-john-stewart-curry-parade-to-war/

I love art. But it is subjective. I occasionally look at some modern art and wonder what the big deal is (yes, I'm looking at you Jackson Pollack, and others). If you are at a museum read the description provided. Sometimes that helps, sometimes not.

Like I mentioned, it is very subjective. But when you find a piece that speaks to you it reaches into your soul. Here's a link to one of my favorite paintings. The image doesn't do it justice, it is incredibly powerful in person. http://blog.cummermuseum.org/2011/12/1-john-stewart-curry-parade-to-war/

A powerful work...

Indeed subjective. Hanging in my first apartment I had Picasso prints and a velvet painting of Pam Grier.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Is there really anything to "get" about art?

It's all open for interpretation the way I see it.

I'm not a big art guy, but I do own a piece done by my friend who shall remain nameless.

An art museum is a perfect spot for a date though. I think you can learn a lot about a person while strolling through and conversing about the art.
I'll never forget the date I had at the Art Institute of Chicago.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Its ok....This recently sold for 43 million dollars.

Poor guy, didnt buy the right type of tape and the paint seeped under it.

$30-40-lot-17.jpg

Poor guy, didnt buy the right type of tape and the paint seeped under it.

Hate it when that happens. Just think how much it would have sold for if he had brought the right tools for the job. :wink:

I can find something to appreciate in most art, and I enjoy a good day at the museum. Sometimes I have trouble connecting with the more abstract stuff.

$blue-orange-red.jpg

Mark Rothko, Blue, Orange, Red.

Paintings, looking at fine paintings, is one of the greatest joys in my life. I've spent a lifetime looking at art, and I have strong opinions, always a good thing.

A little book-learning is a huge help. Try Ernst Gombrich "The Story of Art" and you'll be off to a good start. Get the Phaidon pocket version.

Ignore commercial galleries; much contemporary art is bosh, as Cordelia Flyte said. But go to every museum you can find. Spend ten minutes in a room, look hard, feel what you can feel, then move on to a refreshing drink. If you remember one particular painting, go back and look at it some more. Buy the postcard. Try not to get overwhelmed. Look and learn. Trust your instincts, but remain open-minded.

Great paintings are one of the acmes of Western civilization; I cannot describe the feelings I get in front of, say, Velazquez's Juan de Pareja or a late Manet flower painting; close to the divine, for sure. And there are almost limitless numbers of great paintings.

Have fun.

Thanks everyone. I was really just trying to make a joke about how much that painting looked like my daughter's painting. [emoji3] I guess the attempt at humor didn't quite come through in my post. [emoji16]

Well, the one painting that fetched 43 millions(watch Mouse Hunt for the millions reference) convinces me I am in the wrong line of work. On the other hand, most of these artists don't make money til long after they are dead. I think there is a twofold conspiracy concerning that. First, it lets someone with too much time and money on their hands declare something is a masterpiece whether it is or not. And second, for the most part the poor sod who made it(likely with bill collectors hounding him to the grave) does not have any more 'masterpieces' laying around and certainly cannot make anymore to capitalise on his new found master status. Can't have too many masterpieces you know. As well noted, art is perception. I just don't perceive most modern and expression artwork as artistic.

OP, I get the humour intended. Your daughter's kitty is just about as good as that 'artwork' and I would wager you she would settle for much less in recompense.

Hate it when that happens. Just think how much it would have sold for if he had brought the right tools for the job. :wink:

I can find something to appreciate in most art, and I enjoy a good day at the museum. Sometimes I have trouble connecting with the more abstract stuff.

View attachment 590669

Mark Rothko, Blue, Orange, Red.

I am very much touched by Mark Rothko's work.

But you have to see his paintings for real, not on a screen.

If you're ever in Basel, I can recommend the Fondation Beyeler museum ... it is very impressive.

Agree. I am more of Norman Rockwell guy, but some of the Impressionists are very interesting. On the Modern stuff, the pictures do cause you to wonder how the artist saw or envisioned what he put on canvas.

The law of equilibrium is not limited to fluids/gravity.
It also applies to the case of some people with too much money in their pockets vs the people who want to take it.

Pablo Picasso was a skilled artist, see his earlier works before he discovered that by blowing a huge raspberry at his clients he would actually get paid MORE. He was not a charlatan, but he did make it possible for generations of charlatans to piggyback on the few real artists, by taking away the one requirement or barrier: actually having a skill.

http://www.toptenz.net/pierre-brassau-monkey-painter-fooled-art-world.php

http://hoaxes.org/weblog/comments/3836/

Last edited:
My mother is a professional artist and her and I argue about art all the time. If I'm looking at a painting of a bear or whatever the hell that thing is you posted....call me crazy but I expect it to look like a friggen bear! Personally I think your daughters painting looks much better!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Wassily Kandinksy's 1909 "Studie zu Improvisation 3": Sold for $21.2 Million

proxy.php

I don't get modern art either, but I do enjoy a good Winslow Homer water color.

I absolutely love art, but all too often it seems that the experts can't tell if the Emperor is wearing clothes or not.

I think this is a better picture than the 21 million dollar one:

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Me personally I think Frank Frazetta is one of the greatest Artists that ever lived. My mom just rolls her eyes at me.

I am very much touched by Mark Rothko's work.

But you have to see his paintings for real, not on a screen.

If you're ever in Basel, I can recommend the Fondation Beyeler museum ... it is very impressive.

Thanks for the recommendation.

I like Rothko's work. But I have only seen it in prints or online - never in person.

Top Bottom