What's new

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! (broke off hex bit in a rear sight set screw!)

I guess it was my turn.

I'm installing a complete Apex Tactical trigger and spring kit in my Shield and the hex bit I was using to loosen the rear sight set screw broke off and now the tip's jammed inside the set screw.

Off to HFT to buy a special set of left hand bits and screw extractors. Good thing a buddy has a drill press.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
🤔 I used the "Grabbit" screw remover to get a broken one out of a Mauser once. Worked exactly as advertised.

AA

I guess it was my turn.

I'm installing a complete Apex Tactical trigger and spring kit in my Shield and the hex bit I was using to loosen the rear sight set screw broke off and now the tip's jammed inside the set screw.

Off to HFT to buy a special set of left hand bits and screw extractors. Good thing a buddy has a drill press.

Yeah. I wallowed out a set screw on my RMR and had to use an extractor and drill. It’s nervewracking for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Yeah. I wallowed out a set screw on my RMR and had to use an extractor and drill. It’s nervewracking for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have had moderately good luck tapping a torx bit into wallowed out grub or socket head cap screw. It usually gets enough bite to back them out. Tends to destroy the future usability of the torx bit but it works!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
There is, I would bet cash money, the EXACT same gut wrenching feeling that all folks share when a bolt/screw/whatever snaps off below flush, and an attempt can be made at describing it, but it can never be fully defined.

But there is something especially terrible when it's late, ya gots no money, and the bleeder valve belongs to the brake system of the only car you own.

I’ll second the hammered in torx bit as a removal option. Has worked many times for me over the years.

perhaps this is a stupid question as I’m not familiar with the shield, but why did a trigger installation require rear sight removal?

Part of the Apex kit includes a polished firing pin safety aka "striker block plunger" and reduced power spring. On M&P's you have to remove the rear sight to get access to them. Glock makes things so much simpler LOL.

I have decided to take the slide to a professional gunsmith 50 miles away the next time I'm in the big city. They sent me an email response to request I filled out and said they are reasonably sure I won't have to leave the slide with them that they can do it while I wait.

The lesson I have learned: DO NOT USE HEX BITS ALWAYS USE A HEX WRENCH WHICH HAS A HIGHER STRENGTH!

Change 2: got a callback from a retired mil./local gunsmith who used to do great work for a local shop. He lives less than 2 miles from me. Dropped off the slide it should be done tomorrow. He says his primary goal will be to excavate the broken bit tip without damaging the set screw. If the set screw gets damaged during removal he'll replace it.

Change 3: After 10 days of no communication and an unanswered phone inquiry I retrieved the slide. If there was any attempt to work on it I was hard-pressed to find it.

So the next time I'm in the big city I will take it to the shop I had originally intended.

Top Bottom