What's new

Around the world shaves

As i find that shaving is a dying art in barbers shop. I have always wanted to gather a list of great shave worldwide to pass on to clients and friends. So when out of town one can get a good shave.
Where was the best place you have ever been shaved???

Stuart.

When I was in the Peace Corps in Albania there was a barber shop (next to the bar) across from The Pyramid in Tirana. The owner gave me my first straight shave. I went back every time I was in town. He gave a nice hair cut too.

Unfortunately, I've never had a barber shop shave. I wish I could find a decent one in the Phoenix area. There has to be at least one place here that can do it.

Have you tried V's Barber Shop? I had a very nice experience there last year--not necessarily a great shave, but a very relaxing, enjoyable afternoon!

While there are plenty of normal barber shops that offer wet shaves in Pakistan, there are also these barbers that set up a chair and mirror by the side of the road and entertain customers there.

I have no idea how hygenic their instruments are, but thought I'd mention it here.

I had nice shaves in both Spain and Morocco. Of course, we've got some nice barbers in locally that offer straight shaves, so it's pretty easy to get one.

Matt

mrob said:
Have you tried V's Barber Shop? I had a very nice experience there last year--not necessarily a great shave, but a very relaxing, enjoyable afternoon!

I used to get my haircut at V's when I worked nearby; the best cut in town! I've heard mixed reviews of their shaves, but I may try it sometime. A new place opened closer to me called Dolce Barber & Spa, but their Web site has no info and I've heard nothing about them.

Someone else on B&B discussed a local old-fashioned Italian barber shop in Cincinnati. I figure there HAS so be something like that locally (Phoenix is the 5th or 6th biggest city in the nation) but I have yet to find it.

The last Barber Shop shave I had was in India many years ago.I guess I am long over due for a Barber's blade.
Cheers, DJ.

Likewise, India in 1999. They use a DE blade broken in half. The brushes and razor-holder (shavette type) are soaked in an alcohol-ish solution. The alum block is washed and reused. Shave can be a bit harsh -- creams aren't that good. $1, including the tip -- and this was a relatively fancy place, with airconditioning and TVs showing movies. Quite an experience to have the barber keep glancing up at the TV, with a straight blade at your throat!

Every other street in Istanbul has a Barber...
A good one is in Tesvikiye called Diego, Owner name is Ihsan.
His place is next to tesvikiye mosque. You won't be sorry you stopped there.

I once got a great barbershop shave from a place on the island of Crete in Greece. This barber was a professional from the word go, he shaved me with a straight razor, a brush, and a soap that looked almost like a powder. After he finished, he gave me a massage, and splashed on some lemon-scented cologne which nearly made me jump through the ceiling!

Jeff

sinekkaydi said:
They make the lather on your face moving the brush in circular motion till it gets desired consistency.

thanks, do they rub the stick right on your face first, or build up the soap on brush and then move directly to face?

as an aside, how's that lemon cologne?

they build up the soap on the brush then move to the face...
lemon cologne is hard core turkish thing... it is very refreshining..
you should have one in your collection..

sinekkaydi said:
they build up the soap on the brush then move to the face...
lemon cologne is hard core turkish thing... it is very refreshining..
you should have one in your collection..

thank you!

Top Bottom