What's new

Around The World In 80 Blades - a shaving journal

Blade #53: Astor (Greece)​

Made by BIC in Greece just like the eponymous brand we’ve just left behind, it remains to be seen whether this is just a rebrand or if it feels like a different blade.

In fact, it almost didn’t happen at all – while I do have a single Astor blade at home in Berlin, we came to Greece with carry-on luggage only, so I couldn’t bring any blades and was relying on finding some Astors here in Corfu.

However, they proved trickier to track down than I had hoped and anticipated – while I’ve read reports that they were ubiquitous at one time, I had to scour the pharmacies and supermarkets to find a pack. But, find them I did! In a spiffy little 5-pack.

proxy.php

Round 1 – Maxon ‘Mulgrew’​

I thought I would bring this razor complete this time, as it’s very close to the M90a, shaves decently, and I won’t be too upset if i lose it.

But maybe I should care more: the first shave with this and the Astor was quite marvellous! Great first pass, no trace of tuginess, smooth and precise.

I’m trying a new 2-pass routine while I’m traveling… first pass with the grain, which for my face pretty much means all downwards, and then a second that is kind of a hybrid of across and against the grain. This saves a bit of time and doesn’t seem to be changing the results appreciably. I’ll keep refining and experimenting!

Round 2: travel hybrid #5 – RR SLOC​

Great shave from start to finish! The SLOC head is a joy to use, smooth and easygoing but quite efficient into the bargain.

Round 3: travel hybrid 4 – RR German 37​

Really superb shave again – this blade is delivering on all fronts and in all razors so far! My two-pass technique delivered a solid BBS with the slant, which has become a really reliable performer for me as I’ve unlocked its secrets.

I’ll keep this blade going a bit longer but actually the next one is likely to be an Astor as well, since I’ve got a few more weeks here, I’m not aware of any other Greek blades on the market, and I won’t be able to take anything else back on the plane. So I’ll just use Astors, and rotate my small selection of travel razors, until I head back to Berlin!

Blade #53: Astor (Greece) continued​

proxy.php

Round 4: SLOC again​

I wanted to try a hybrid of the SLOC and the Maxon for this shave, but it’s impossible – the geometry between the top caps and the bottom plates is incompatible (posts and holes don’t quite line up) and it doesn’t work either way. So I am stuck with the three heads I have and no further Frankenrazor silliness is possible!

No matter, this was a fabulous shave. Two passes, smooth and easy. Possibly starting to feel the blade working a tiny bit harder on the chin but really, it’s still great so no complaints! I figure I’ll give it one more anyway… And then we’ll see.

Round 5: Maxon​

Not much to report – a good shave, the Astor is still doing its thing. We are still in Greece, on Paros in the Cyclades islands, staying with family and exploring. It’s not my first time in these islands but it’s been over 20 years and they’ve changed quite a lot (mostly not for the better, unless you think that an influx of tourists that eclipses the local population many times over is a big plus - not to mention the development that goes along with all of that). Nevertheless, their tremendous natural beauty and charm still shows through. I really love it here!

Round 6: German 37 again​

I have to say, this blade is showing absolutely no signs of slowing down. On three days’ growth, the first pass with the slant was quite wonderful – at the risk of sounding like a broken record, smooth and efficient. No trouble on the second round and once again, a pretty solid BBS and nothing much to complain about. What with my affection for and connection with Greece, if Astors are as good as this one, I can easily imagine it become a favorite!

To which end, while this blade is still ticking along very nicely, perhaps it’s a good moment to break out a fresh one and see if it measures up to the same high standard!

Round 7: SLOC again…​

Back in Athens to regroup before the next leg of our adventure, I decided to give it one more shot, and once again it did not disappoint! It’s still getting through the tough stuff without tugging at all, nice and smooth, and still delivering BBS results with my 2-ish-pass method, and I’m still enjoying the process immensely. However. Maybe time to quit while I’m ahead and crack out a fresh one for the remainder of this trip…

Blade #53: Astor (Greece) – continued​

proxy.php

Blade 2, Round 1: Maxon​

Ooof. Maybe a dud blade? Quite tuggy on the first pass, on 3 days’ growth. Hard to believe this is the same razor and blade I was singing the praises of such a short time ago. I think I might just pass on this one and try another. The result was not bad, but the experience was nowhere near as pleasant as the first blade, and the only way to find out if that one was particularly good or this one particularly bad… is to try another!

Blade 3, Round 1: RR SLOC head​

Well that’s more like it!
Great shave, Smooth and pleasurable. Seems like that I’ve blade was a lemon, this one feels much better and will likely see me through the end of our trip!

Blade 3, round 2: German 37​

Once again, the Astor shows its versatility here, as the slant pairs perfectly with it and delivers another stellar result with no fuss, no blood or irritation, just smooth efficiency all the way through. Can’t complain about that!

Blade 3, round 3: Maxon​

Last shave in Greece! And a final test of the blade with this razor, which it passed with flying colours – proving conclusively, I think, that the second blade was an anomaly.

It’s been a wonderful trip here, lots of family time, a good balance of adventure and relaxation, some beautiful beaches and unbearably charming old towns full of winding streets and perfect scenes around every corner… there is something unmistakeable about Greece, despite its tremendous variety it’s virtually impossible to mistake it for anywhere else. We have a personal connection here, of course, but it’s the kind of place that gets under your skin regardless, and with quite a few years under the bridge since the last time we were here, it’s been great to reconnect.

And I remain impressed with the Astors and will happily use them again!

Top Bottom