What's new

Aromatherapy

I have this Art of Shaving Lavender scent Cream which, performance aside, is good because it has a mild aromatherapy effect on me from the pure Lavender scent (I never would have guessed that I like Lavender!)

Are there any other Soaps of any scent, that you recommend because of their incredible relaxing, soothing aromatherapy quality? Lavender or anything else you know of. I usually shave at night before bed so anything soothing and calming before sleep is really desirable.

Mickey Lee Jefferson Square - Pure lavender, but no longer in production.

Barrister & Mann Lime. Lavender, Cedarwood - to me, cedar is like a more earthy sandalwood, and with the addition of soothing lavender and a splash of lime, this is a classic. I don't know if it's currently available, but it's an old scent that pops up in B&M's production schedule from time to time.

RazoRock Black Bay - it's a bay laurel scent that takes me back to wandering through botanical gardens in Hawaii or Italy. (Italian botanical gardens always have that crumbling unfussy vibe going on.)

Another soap that sends me travelling through time and space is Phoenix & Beau Trafalgar, which is like being on a deserted, windswept UK beach - the kind you have to trek through a wooded trail to reach.

It's a cream, not a soap, but Castle Forbes Lime is just the greatest lime scent you could ever ask for. I usually don't think CF shave stuff is worth it -- it's awfully expensive -- but CF Lime might just be an exception to that. Especially with summer coming up, a nice lime is hard to beat.

Speaking of CF, one of my favorite of their eaux de parfum, Castle Forbes 1445, has been released as a shaving cream as well fairly recently. (Well, in 2018 or so.) It's sort of a green fougere, makes me think of pastures and woodlands and that sort of thing -- nature, but in a very refined, British way. I haven't tried the cream, but if it's anything like the EdP, it'd smell absolutely amazing.

My big love of the floral family is rose, so I tend to have a bunch of rose creams and soaps hanging around, but if I were to recommend just one, Cyril Salter Wild Rose cream would probably be my choice. It's not the best rose cream I've ever smelled -- the long out-of-production (and not very long in production for that matter) AoS rose holds that distinction -- but it really edges out most of its competitors by being a slightly less tame interpretation of rose than, say, Taylor of Old Bond Street. Another awesome rose (if you can stomach the price) is Czech & Speake No 88 shave soap, which is more of a dark, Gothic interpretation of rose. Just don't bother with the bowl, it's even more crazy expensive than the soap.

And speaking of TOBS, their Mr Taylor's cream is one of my favorite scents, bar none. I think it might have a lavender note in it, actually...I'm not 100% sure how to describe the scent (sort of barbershoppy and cologne-y?), but you can find a lot of descriptions of it by searching on B&B...it's been a pretty commonly discussed scent over the years.

Oh, and in the "rather controversial" camp, I just adore the scent of Tabac. It's a very nostalgic scent to me, and reminds me of the barber I went to as a kid, back when people still smoked in barber shops. Some people hate the scent with a passion, though...YMMV.

PAA Dapper Docs is very pleasant indeed and not too strong.
Maybe you should try some UK soaps and creams, because in general the scents seem a bit more restrained in comparison to some others.
I agree about Phoenix & Beau Trafalgar as mentioned 2 posts above. It's a lovely light mix of fresh forest and ozone.

DR Harris Windsor is, in my estimation, the most sublime scent ever created.

It's probably my favorite as well. It always smell good to me year round. When I'm not sure what kind of scent I want to wear. I usually reach for windsor. Never disappoints.

I do like a nice lavender scent too. I find it calming and relaxing. I currently have 2 lavender based soaps in the rotation.

WSP Lavender
Sudsy Soapery Lavender & Peppermint

Like them both a lot.

Actually I find good minty scents to be uplifting and put me in a good mood as well.

A good Fougere is always nice too. For example;

Saponificio Varesino Felce
Wholly Kaw Fougere Bouquet
Martin de Chandre Fougere

Top Bottom