What's new

Aroma chemicals in shaving products, scent profiles and allergies

Not sure where you are copy pasting from but this part anyway is wrong - if it doesn't contain coumarin, lavender and oakmoss it's simply not a fougere. There's no "almost" involved.

Agreed. Proper Fougere always has coumarin.

Wikipedia: Fougère perfumes are made with a blend of fragrances: top-notes are sweet, with the scent of lavender flowers; as the more volatile components evaporate, the scents of oakmoss, derived from a species of lichen and described as woody, sharp and slightly sweet, and coumarin, similar to the scent of new-mown hay, become noticeable. Aromatic fougère, a derivative of this class, contains additional notes of herbs, spice and/or wood.
Fougère - Wikipedia

The cosmetic and soap industry is awash with dangerous and harmful chemicals.

I transitioned away from using the stuff as much as i could many months ago and have only benefited from it.

All of these (the very same) are used in cosmetics, detergents, food, tobacco, air refreshers, anything with scent and taste that you can think of.

Last edited:
Part 3
Found an aftershave made by Swiss company that lists few more aroma chemicals that I haven't mentioned. A lot of the big name multinationals don't disclose the fragrance ingredients, but this smaller company (Solea) does.

Eugenol
- Sweet, spicy, clove like, woody, with phenolic savory ham and bacon notes and cinnamon and allspice nuances.

Alpha Isomethyl Ionone - Violet, sweet, orris, powdery, floral, woody.

Butylphenyl Methylpropional - Also known Lilial or lily aldehyde, is a synthetic aromatic aldehyde. Powerful, floral-fresh odor.

Hydroxycitronellal - Sweet-floral. Used almost in any floral accord, but mainly in muguet and lilac.

Limonene - Citrus, fresh orange and lemon peel.

It's good to figure out what fragrance you're allergic to. Most of the time, product simply list "fragrance," so my avoidance is by product. My rule of thumb is if it smells like cutting weeds with a rotary mower, avoid it. Yes, some fragrances smell that way to me, among them what's used in Irish Spring (tm) and some scented hand soaps.

Will comment on one: Citronellol is the smell in citronella, the old go-go insect repellent. Still used today as an alternative to DEET. Not as effective, but has a distinctive smell. If you've ever used citronella, that's the smell of citronellol.

This isn't knocking citronellol, BTW. To this very day, a whiff of citronella makes me think of summer, and in a good way.

This sounds like something everyone should subject their largest human organ to, right? /s :07:

If you have skin issues with a particular fragrance, you can simply spray it on your clothes. It will also last longer. Aftershaves, balms etc. obviously have smaller concentration so light application shouldn't be an issues.

@Raissermesser Could be this one: Cis-3 Hexenol - Fresh, Green Grassy, Herbaceous.

It's a leaf alcohol that plants create to attract predatory insects. When you cut the grass, that's what you're smelling.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Great list. Thanks for the work. Other than experience can an allergist scratch test for these items?
Years ago i went to an allergist on recommendation of a friend who was tested for a large variety. With that curiosity i made an appointment. They took my history which is positive for bee stings. They tested me for bee stings. That was it. yes im allergic to bee stings. But i knew that before going there. I hate wasting time like that. I asked about a larger test and they said they dont do that. Ive always wondered if there some allergic reaction we dont necessarily perceive.

Great list. Thanks for the work. Other than experience can an allergist scratch test for these items?
Years ago i went to an allergist on recommendation of a friend who was tested for a large variety. With that curiosity i made an appointment. They took my history which is positive for bee stings. They tested me for bee stings. That was it. yes im allergic to bee stings. But i knew that before going there. I hate wasting time like that. I asked about a larger test and they said they dont do that. Ive always wondered if there some allergic reaction we dont necessarily perceive.

Many years ago I had a similar appointment as a child allergic to all manner of things, so they conducted tests involving subcutaneous injections and skin reaction tests. Essentially, they labeled "landing spots" for various grasses, tree pollen, weeds, foods, etc., placed concentrated bits of each substance on those spots, then proceeded to ***** each one and after a time, measure each one to determine the nature and severity of the allergic reaction. I'm certain I was itching all over in varying degrees of torture.

My assessment was similar to yours -- complete waste of time. While I discovered all kinds of substances that I was supposedly allergic to, staying away from them became somewhat impractical. Thankfully, advances in allergy medicatinos and a move solved the bulk of my allergy problems.

This is quite the compilation - well done. :001_005:

Top Bottom