What's new

Arko

Each time I use Arko I enjoy it more and more. My stick is mashed into an open apothecary mug that has allowed the scent to mellow into a sweet, slightly tangy aroma that I find quite pleasant. Combined with the excellent core shaving performance I consider it one of my best soaps and definitely the best value among my soaps that are still on the market today.

I really like the performance of Arko, the scent is a bonus. Bought another 12 pack. I just shave and press a stick of Arko into a bowl and lather right on the puck, fantastic soap, and a permanent soap in my rotation of 4.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
I really like my Arko stick. Definitely need to look for a good holder for travel though.
20230126_163109.jpg

Love my Arko! twist up!!! Highly recommended.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Earlier generations of American shavers used William's Mug soap, the Arko of it's day.

It's doesn't smell pretty, it doesn't moisturize. It does everything a shave soap should do. It provides an easy. slick, protective lather.

You know, I poke a lot of fun at Arko, but the post shave is quite good for me, and I tend toward dry skin. But I get along well with soaps containing coconut oil. I do agree that they could do a better job of the Turkish colonia scent, but maybe not at the same price point, good fragrance has always been expensive. The Arko formula has tallow and coconut oil, two of the ingredients removed from reformulated Tabac. The coconut oil gives creamy lather IMO, not the tallow.

Removing tallow and coconut oil from a formula is not bad, but the lather is noticeably different, less creamy but more slick - like the last version of Williams or most of the current 3T hard soaps. Pre de Provence is an example of a similar, non-tallow, non-coconut soap that’s been around a while, but it’s French, so it lathers well, lol. Great for straight razor users, but maybe not as pleasing for our DE brothers that want that creamy film strength to keep that nasty DE blade away from their Hollywood looks.

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
I use ARKO daily, have 2.5 cases stashed under the sink. I also enjoy disease exhaust, fruit cake and Spam. I have more issues than Life magazine, mow my yard at night and sleep on corduroy pillow cases.
In my local newspaper corduroy pillow cases are making headlines! Sorry I couldn’t resist.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I’m cheap on everyday stiff. Just try putting a nice cotton bath towel over your pillow. Warm and comfortable, easily washable.

What if you grated & combined Arko & Tabac. Would the "urinal cake" or "old lady's purse" smells cancel each other out? Or would it smell like an old lady's purse that got dropped in the urinal?

I’d be interested to hear the results.
It's great with the frost drops added. I like menthol and it makes the Arko even better. I don't always add the drops but it's good to have the option. I have other more expensive soaps I like too, but I probably use Arko half the time it's that good imo.

Top Bottom