What's new

Arko

So, there are those on the forum who do not like the scent of Arko. While I am ambivalent on the scent (I don't love it or hate it), it does create a great and easy lather at a very low cost. I stumbled on something that might be helpful to those who like the performance and cost, but not the scent.

I grated some Arko into a container and smashed it into a puck, or sorts. I then added about 10 drops of spearmint essential oil, closed up the container and let it sit for several weeks. When I opened the container, the spearmint scent was definitely present, and the Arko scent greatly subdued.

You might give it a try.

Arko has become my daily shaving soap. And personally, I don't mind the smell. It lathers up great and is very consistent, especially when applied directly to the face.

I gave a stick to a friend of mine to try and he one upped me by giving me an Arko dispenser he bought on Etsy; sort of like a refillable Arko sized Lipstick tube. For a 3D printed gizmo, it works great and travels well. I did have to epoxy the cap back on once, but really, its not to bad for $15 US.

Worth an Etsy search if interested. I'm not affiliated, nor do I have access to the site presently.

I never disliked the smell, was a little strange at first. But very quickly I liked the smell and still do. I cut a stick into chunks and press it into a glass Tabac jar for brush loading. I just received a 12 pack of Arko for $20! It took 2 months to get here from Turkey but arrived in good shape. I vacuum sealed it so it won't lose its greatness. :laugh: I have some packs of 6 sticks vacuum sealed too. And a few loose for current use. I'm still of the opinion it is the best of them all. Super slick, big lather, smells good and very cheap. I do love the menthol Stirling soaps and some others, but Arko stays on top in my book. Keeping an ARKO supply in case it becomes unavailable for whatever reasons.

Legion

Staff member
The resupply just arrived in the mail.

B64536F2-F35D-42DB-A202-48B9BEC9F881.jpeg

I've used arko before from a tub and whilst got a good shave, stopped using it going on to some of the more expensive soaps.
I decided to try using the puck as a shaving stick, rubbing it over wet face. Thin film of soap which was transformed into a layer of superb lather. One of the best and closest shaves I've had. Lovely as the scent has mellowed and not at all awful.

So, there are those on the forum who do not like the scent of Arko. While I am ambivalent on the scent (I don't love it or hate it), it does create a great and easy lather at a very low cost. I stumbled on something that might be helpful to those who like the performance and cost, but not the scent.

I grated some Arko into a container and smashed it into a puck, or sorts. I then added about 10 drops of spearmint essential oil, closed up the container and let it sit for several weeks. When I opened the container, the spearmint scent was definitely present, and the Arko scent greatly subdued.

You might give it a try.
Different strokes for different folks, but IMO you either embrace the scent of Arko, or you don't. If you do, fine. If you don't, there are many soaps with similar excellent shave characteristics with "better" (to many noses) scents.

Personally, I appreciate Arko's scent for what it is and it is part of the rotation, admittedly a minor part.

Top Bottom