What's new

Arko

I would suggest getting one to try first. I personally found it to be the most drying of my soaps although the smell wasn't really an issue for me. Plenty of folks here love it though, so i don't think everyone finds it drying!

Well, it isn't a high end soap, so yes it is drying. But that's taken care of post shave.

It's not going to shrivel you up like salt on a slug though.

Well no, as i said, not everyone finds it drying, but it was for me. Palmolive on the other find i found very moisturising, but other people will feel differently i'm sure!

I too would love to try some arko and it seems that most places are out of stock right now. If someone has a spare stick pm me a price so I can try it out. I hear it has tallow and I want to try a tallow soap.

This should be the first soap a newbie tries, by law. Will save them a lot of money. I wish I'd tried it sooner. Performance in a shave soap doesn't get much better than this, regardless of cost.

I'm new to it - yet am still blown away by the price/performance. It will cause you to grin every time you use it. It has real character, right down to the package.

Love it!

John

I agree with a previous poster that it is drying. Not terrible, but enough. I still use it though. The performance is outstanding!

This should be the first soap a newbie tries, by law. Will save them a lot of money. I wish I'd tried it sooner. Performance in a shave soap doesn't get much better than this, regardless of cost.

I'm new to it - yet am still blown away by the price/performance. It will cause you to grin every time you use it. It has real character, right down to the package.

Love it!

John

I agree, the quality lather of Arko could serve as an easy touchstone for what lather should be.

I agree with a previous poster that it is drying. Not terrible, but enough. I still use it though. The performance is outstanding!

Interesting that some folks find it to be a bit drying - not my experience. However, my skin leans toward the oily side. I felt that the tallow content gives Arko a richness in the lather. In terms of richness, it reminds me of a Tabac lather. I tried Palmolive sticks before Arko, and although its a great product, for me I don't find Palmolive to make as quite a good lather. My water is moderately hard, maybe that's the difference. As always, YMMV.

Been using ARKO for some time now and I like the smell and the lather is terrific, excellent soap, excellent price.

With that said I purchased a almost full kilo of Cella from a member here at a super price, so now I'm set for years with 2 of the best lathering soaps out there IMO. UWWFU

Regarding the drying issue, I use a splash of Witch Hazel w/Alum added followed with Gillette Fusion a/s balm.

Last edited:
Per the 12-stick buy, If you only use Arko one stick might last 3 months. So 12 sticks would last 4 years using only Arko. perhaps you should start with a stick or two and make sure that you like it first.

I think that might be an understatement. granted, I only shave about four times a week normally, but I've had an Arko stick for about three months or more that isn't even a quarter gone yet.

I think that might be an understatement. granted, I only shave about four times a week normally, but I've had an Arko stick for about three months or more that isn't even a quarter gone yet.

Well going by the long running thread "How Many Shaves to the Bottom of a Shave Stick" there is quite a bit of variance between users but I'd ballpark (using data from that thread) an average shave stick to last 60-70 shaves or so.

Since you only shave 4 times a week that would kind of dovetail with my 3 month estimate.

Me personally, I use the Arko shave stick once a week. At that rate it should last well over a year along with allmy other stuff.

By the way, shaveabuck (www.shaveabuck.com) sell Arko for $2 a stick plus ~ $2 shipping. Not a bad price. I bid on my stick on E-bay 4 or 5 months ago and got it with shipping for $3.23. It came from a seller in Turkey. The packaging was kind of cool with all the international stamps on it. I am sure that it was a very fresh stick cause' the scent was overwhelming. I suspect that the scent of mine just may be alot stronger than someone who buys from a US based seller due to their (perhaps) older stock.

Here is what I posted about my Arko shave stick experience back in Janurary:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...Impressions-experience-of-an-ARKO-Shave-Stick

I tried one for the first time this morning. It has always smelled like candy to me. Maybe I've never had a really fresh one? It worked very well, especially for my first try at face lathering.

I tried one for the first time this morning. It has always smelled like candy to me. Maybe I've never had a really fresh one? It worked very well, especially for my first try at face lathering.

Face lathering is where it's at - it gives a GREAT prep without unnecessary bowls/cups/scuttles - more room for razors that way!

Top Bottom