What's new

Arko vs Mogno: The Konomi Code Challenge

It's a shaving soap bar, aka sabonete. The original purpose of this shape was to build a lather in your hands to apply to the face.

This is really interesting to me, and I recall having heard this elsewhere. It certainly makes sense given it's rectangular bar soap shape. I'm curious if creating the lather in one's hands and then applying to the face is common in Portugal or elsewhere in the Portuguese speaking world? Was this kind of lather making ever common in the US at one point in time?

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I thought Linha Granado was intended for use in the same way. Here’s a 2017 mention from @malocchio :

The Granado soap is now available on ebay by the way...I wash and rinse my face twice with regular bath bar soap and hot water , then massage my face with the Granado bar for about 2 minutes...Not much lather , but the slick ,minty protection is there, and it is first class...

Interesting. My theory is that lots of folks used their hands rather than a brush in the days before canned cream. Research time. :)

Arrived today have to wait until the FFFMM is over to give it a try...
PXL_20210320_020550698.jpg

Arrived today have to wait until the FFFMM is over to give it a try...
View attachment 1239041

You have more self restraint than I do for sure. When I get new shaving stuff I have a hard time not shaving the minute I open the package. Speaking of boxes, I think Ach Brito has some of the best packaging design in the business. The only problem I have is how to print a Mogno sticker for a screw bottom shaving stick. The rectangular design doesn't translate well to a tube; it needs to be scaled down quite so it doesn't wrap around. I need to work on my photoshop skills or find someone good at that sort of thing.

...Speaking of boxes, I think Ach Brito has some of the best packaging design in the business. The only problem I have is how to print a Mogno sticker for a screw bottom shaving stick. The rectangular design doesn't translate well to a tube; it needs to be scaled down quite so it doesn't wrap around. I need to work on my photoshop skills or find someone good at that sort of thing.

I gave it a go. What about this label? You can trim the length to fit.

mogno-label-for-stick.png

Beautiful! I hadn't even noticed the "creme de barbear". I would have been thrilled with even the previous version, but this is even better! 👍👍👍

The FFFMM finally ended and I got a chance to try my Mogno today. Yea! No burning or discomfort of any kind.
PXL_20210403_210721178-01.jpeg
I tried the "hand lather" thing (make a lather with the bar in your hands and then apply to your face) and it certainly worked, but it was messy and hard to "adjust" the consistency. And it felt wasteful since I had to rinse my hands before picking up the razor.

For the third pass I applied the bar directly to my face and then used a brush to face lather. Much nicer. If I had my "druthers", I'd press it into a bowl. But it's one hard bar and I don't know how easy that would be. Might have to try grating it...

Loved the slickness and agree it's on par with Arko. Residual slickness as well, though I re-lathered for each pass.

I am one of those that actually like the smell of Arko (notice I did not say "scent" ), but I also liked the scent of Mogno (notice that I did say "scent" this time). Very clean, but not "soapy".

And the post-shave feel is much, much nicer. I don't have a problem with Arko, but the Mogno felt much nicer in terms of hydration and softness of my skin.

Bottom line: Yes! A great alternative to Arko, though a little less convenient to store and use in it's natural form.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Glad to read your experience was better than mine, Alan.

I’m surprised how many people find ARKO! to be drying. Once I started giving it the water it craves (when it feels like nothing on Earth is slicker, get some water on the brush to mix in a few more times), it stopped feeling “drying” even after bad shaves.

Glad to read your experience was better than mine, Alan.

I’m surprised how many people find ARKO! to be drying. Once I started giving it the water it craves (when it feels like nothing on Earth is slicker, get some water on the brush to mix in a few more times), it stopped feeling “drying” even after bad shaves.
I've used Arko, and as much as I enjoy joking about its rather potent and divisive aroma, I find it to be a really good shave soap (especially for the price). However, it is pretty drying for me, as well. Even when I've wound with with really wet lather (to the point where it looks like I killed a soap monster in my bathroom after I finish shaving), my face feels dry and itchy once it dries off. To remedy this, I end up using an aftershave balm.

Of course, my skin may be nothing like yours. It may be that your skin is less susceptible to drying out than mine. That just means you're lucky enough to be able to use Arko by itself without any post shave balms. Of course, that also means you miss out on the world of Aftershave Balm Addiction Disorder. 😁

Top Bottom