What's new

Arko vs Mogno: The Konomi Code Challenge

Day 2:

Razor: RazoRock Game Changer .68
Blade: Perma Sharp Super, day 2
Arko: Left
Mogno: Right
Time: 7:20

Today went a bit better than yesterday. No big mistakes and no weepers on either side. In the early passes, the slickness of these two soaps is very comparable, it's probably impossible for me to distinguish between the two. In the later passes, it seems to me that Mogno has an edge, although I'm surprised by how close the two are. Both are more than up to the task, which is impressive. Eight passes with no additional soap from a brush or stick is pretty demanding. Both of these soaps have excellent initial and residual slickness. No sting from the alum bar on either side. The Arko side feels dryer to me, which is definitely amplified by the cold, dry weather. I'm giving the victory to Mogno for the slightly better slickness and for being less drying, but Arko performed admirably.

I'm trying to spend the same amount of time on each side of the face. I'm also shaving at my normal (brisk) pace, so I'm not babying these soaps at all. The whole operation from lathering, 8 passes, and final rinse was 7:20 seconds. I'm didn't do the Satchmo technique today (cheek inflation) , so it's not what I would consider BBS on the cheeks and jawline, but it's a damn close shave.

It's probably worth noting that both soaps could benefit from a post-shave balm. Personally, I find that a few cents worth of hyluronic acid does a better job of hydration than any croap/soap that I have ever tried anyway. I haven't been using HA during the experiment, so I get a good sense of how these soaps leave the skin feeling.
It was Dizzy Gillespie who did the puffed cheeks thing. Satchmo (Louis Armstrong) did not puff out his cheeks when playing his trumpet.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Did Satchmo NEVER puff out his cheeks? I mean, NOBODY did it like Dizzy, but I could have sworn that Mr Armstrong did a little once in awhile....

Too bad I don't have any of that "Blazing Saddles Soap" since I lost my sense of smell. I could TRULY be trusted to do a blind nose test...

Did Satchmo NEVER puff out his cheeks? I mean, NOBODY did it like Dizzy, but I could have sworn that Mr Armstrong did a little once in awhile....

Too bad I don't have any of that "Blazing Saddles Soap" since I lost my sense of smell. I could TRULY be trusted to do a blind nose test...
I recently rewatched Ken Burns's Jazz documentary on PBS. There was footage of Louis Armstrong playing the trumpet, but he didn't puff his cheeks to do so. The closest I can think of to his having puffy cheeks was when he was younger and weighed well over 200lbs. But that's a different kind of puffy. If anything that's more like me! 😁

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I recently rewatched Ken Burns's Jazz documentary on PBS. There was footage of Louis Armstrong playing the trumpet, but he didn't puff his cheeks to do so. The closest I can think of to his having puffy cheeks was when he was younger and weighed well over 200lbs. But that's a different kind of puffy. If anything that's more like me! 😁
I'll be hanged. Could have sworn he did it a little.

Just the other night I had "It's a Wonderful World" playing over and over on the turntable in my mind. What phenomenal music I was blessed to hear growing up.

One of the joys of being an elder care nurse for as long as I was is that I got to hear some great music. Big Band to the Beatles and Stones. Lol, I REALLY feel bad for the kids that'll be working in assisted living and such in about 50 years!

¿Por qué? Amon Amarth is awesome!
LOL. You bet your butt I'll be listening music from my high school days in assisted living! If my hearing lasts....

That band is a hoot live, by the way. Good guys actually. The husband of my moms old assistant knew those guys personally as he worked in the industry.

I'll be hanged. Could have sworn he did it a little.

Just the other night I had "It's a Wonderful World" playing over and over on the turntable in my mind. What phenomenal music I was blessed to hear growing up.

One of the joys of being an elder care nurse for as long as I was is that I got to hear some great music. Big Band to the Beatles and Stones. Lol, I REALLY feel bad for the kids that'll be working in assisted living and such in about 50 years!
My musical tastes are generally those of a gentleman many decades older than I. I absolutely love big band and swing music. I'm also a fan of jazz and classical (George Gershwin is one of my favorite composers). For some reason, I doubt any of this will be playing in the old folks home (when I get there). Still, I am fond of 90s R&B and some other popular 90s music (e.g., ska, Orange County alternative rock) and some other bands from that era (e.g., Oasis). Hopefully, the old folks home will have a CD player so I can listen to my collection of CDs (assuming they haven't deteriorated by then).

Ad Astra

The Instigator

🤔 Really hoping when it gets here, it smells like Mogno and not Mongo... "With one whiff of its strong bean, leather, sweat/grime and smoky campfire notes, new Mongo will have you skipping shaves on the trail and at home." 🧆🧆

AA

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
are you typing with your mouth full?

Maybe, but that’s elvish. They’re a Swedish rock-n-roll band and their name was a Tolkien gesture.

LOL. You bet your butt I'll be listening music from my high school days in assisted living! If my hearing lasts....

If the hearing doesn’t last, crank the music so you can feel it and everyone else hears it for you.

That band is a hoot live, by the way. Good guys actually.

Very awesome to know. Thank you. They are a family favorite, so they might get seen when it’s safe to venture outdoors.

Day 2:

Blade: Perma Sharp Super, day 2
Arko: Left
Mogno: Right
Time: 7:20

Today went a bit better than yesterday. No big mistakes and no weepers on either side. In the early passes, the slickness of these two soaps is very comparable, it's probably impossible for me to distinguish between the two. In the later passes, it seems to me that Mogno has an edge, although I'm surprised by how close the two are. Both are more than up to the task, which is impressive. Eight passes with no additional soap from a brush or stick is pretty demanding. Both of these soaps have excellent initial and residual slickness. No sting from the alum bar on either side. The Arko side feels dryer to me, which is definitely amplified by the cold, dry weather. I'm giving the victory to Mogno for the slightly better slickness and for being less drying, but Arko performed admirably.

I'm trying to spend the same amount of time on each side of the face. I'm also shaving at my normal (brisk) pace, so I'm not babying these soaps at all. The whole operation from lathering, 8 passes, and final rinse was 7:20 seconds. I'm didn't do the Satchmo technique today (cheek inflation) , so it's not what I would consider BBS on the cheeks and jawline, but it's a damn close shave.

It's probably worth noting that both soaps could benefit from a post-shave balm. Personally, I find that a few cents worth of hyluronic acid does a better job of hydration than any croap/soap that I have ever tried anyway. I haven't been using HA during the experiment, so I get a good sense of how these soaps leave the skin feeling.

EIGHT passes (count them) and still no ‘winner!’ :sob: :sob:

(Is Mongo going to ’fall’ into my cart now?)

proxy.php

Day 3:

Blade: Perma Sharp Super, day 3
Arko: Right
Mogno: Left

Another great shave out of these two soaps. No nicks, weepers or irritation. I'm starting to think I'm going about this the wrong way. I assumed from the outset that by adding only water and the soap on my hands left over from initial lathering, it would easily reveal the soap with better residual slickness (which is all that I'm really testing for). That hasn't been the case. The reality is that although Mogno feels slightly slicker to me than Arko, there isn't really a functional difference. For that matter, the difference is small enough that I'm not certain that I could identify which was which in a blind test 100% of the time.

I think part of the problem is that I underestimated Arko, and part of the problem is the equipment. I'm using an idiot proof razor, two idiot proof soaps, an idiot proof lathering method, and my favorite blade. Not exactly an ideal setup for pushing soaps to their limit.

I think for tomorrow I'm going to jettison the Game Changer in favor of either an R41 or a Fatip Piccolo, under the theory that there's no point testing tires with a Toyota Camry. Similarly, I'm going to swap out the Perma Sharp Super in favor of a Feather. To torture an analogy, it's better to test tires with Brembo's than stock calipers. With luck, this setup will be a bit more revealing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom