What's new

Arko - Stinks!!!

I bought 2 sticks first time out. It really does last and I don't even try to conserve it. So I still have the one stick to say hello to the Arko man for shaving inspiration.
The scent is a plus for having that bathroom clean smell. :c1:

There is different consistencies of lather you can get with it. So it doesn't gunk up your razor. Like when I'm trying to remove a week old beard. Or you just want an even thin coating for a daily shave.

Also like how you apply it. Rub it over the area that needs to be cropped and brush up a lather using your face to work up a froth.

Sticks rock. Especially Arko!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get good shaves with both Arko and Derby stick. If you have only tried 1 of the 2. Chances are you will enjoy the other as well.

As for the scent of Derby. To me it's kind of an old school green soap scent. My 1st recollection of that scent goes back to the 70's. When as a kid, some of motels had a bar soap that smelled like this on the bathroom sink.

Ok I can kind of see that for the Derby scent. There’s something powdery in there for me too. It’s a little less slick than Arko for me but really enjoy it. Nothing fancy just a stick that gives you a nice shave with a pleasant smell. Good in my book! [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I grate Arko and let it sit out in the garage a few days. With the very large surface area exposed (you can spread it out on a sheet of news paper or the like), the scent lightens up quickly. Then you're left with a slick soap that lathers like crazy….. Boom, Bob's your uncle.

I love this thread every time it pops back up. I don’t have any issues with the smell of Arko. It just smells like soap. I got my first puck of Tabac this month and opened it just to smell it, I like it too. It doesn’t smell bad either.

Between The Veg, Arko and Tabac, I’m not just chosen, I must be a Golden Child. [emoji23]

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

I found Arko would burn my face off if left on too long.
That made it useless to me as a shaving soap.
I could probably seal myself in a tub of Tabac all day and be fine
so that's my go too now.

The Arko smell would certainly wake me up though.

so that's my go too now.

Arko leaves my face feeling tight and dry. I can use it for a single shave, but could never use it as a primary soap.

I hated the smell of Tabac when first opened. I had to air it out for a couple of weeks before I could use it. It will never be my favorite scent. Performance is excellent, but not up to the standards of the best artisan soaps.

so that's my go too now.

Burns? That’s odd may be the citric acid have you had any other problem with any other citrus soaps?

I haven't tried it yet, but I'll bet that stuff would make a great shower soaps! It would kill underarm odor better than kerosene!
Oh yeah definitely it’s like hell fire to smells I been meaning to chuck a little nugget in the wash to see how it goes on clothes probably foam out he the washing machine but who knows

Burns may be the wrong word. It certainly irritated the hell out of me and left my neck red.
I know nowt about other citrus soaps sorry.
Yeah I think that maybe it when you shave your at time cutting open the skin so citrus oil in open wound stings and burns abit depending on the person who knows maybe it’s something els

Burns may be the wrong word. It certainly irritated the hell out of me and left my neck red.
I wanted to like it (and the other easily available soaps) but it soon stung and burned. I assumed I was alkali-intolerant, because (as I understand it) shaving soap is usually alkaline, to soften up the stubble.

I haven't measured the pH, so the sting might be something else.

I wanted to like it (and the other easily available soaps) but it soon stung and burned. I assumed I was alkali-intolerant, because (as I understand it) shaving soap is usually alkaline, to soften up the stubble.

I haven't measured the pH, so the sting might be something else.

I think it's the toilet cleaner.

recently found a stick of Arko in a local shop and decided as it was only a pound to give it a try,had heard it was an acquired taste but heard the same about Tabac that I love the scent of. i was not prepared for the stench that is Arko, this stuff literally smells like a urinal, actually made me feel a bit queasy, shame as this lathers like a beast, nevermind
I've been wanting to get arko just to see what I think of it. I think I'll go for the Palmolive though, lol.

If you want to try something that lathers great, is slick, and lacks the aroma characteristics of Arko, I'd give LaToja a try. It's impressive.

Top Bottom