What's new

Arko Stick - Not just lemon!

Not much time ago, i had posted here my humble opinion about the scent of Arko Stick, after doing only a test lather.

Given my recent digging about Cella, i thought to make another small search about Arko's ingredients, since people can't even agree on what the smell is... And at least to me, there are some interesting finds:

Ingredients
Potassium Tallowate, Stearic Acid, Potassium Cocoate, Aqua, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerin, Parfum, Parafinium, Liquidum, Tetrasodium EDTA, Etidronic Acid, Disodium Distrylbiphenly, Disuffonate Amyl Cinnamel, Citronellol, Geraniol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool.

^ Some mispelling there, but i got them straight from a blog and the errors are quite visible.

- EDTA is against hard water. Pretty normal.
- Etidronic Acid. Now this is a real swiss knife! Most probably they 've put it to prevent Arko's non saponified fats from going rancid, since EDTA covers the hard water part, where they overlap.

Chelating agent and antioxidant[edit]
Etidronic acid is a chelating agent and may be added to bind or, to some extent, counter the effects of substances, such as calcium, iron or other metal ions, which may be discharged as a component of grey wastewater and could conceivably contaminate groundwater supplies. As a phosphonate it has corrosion inhibiting properties on unnalloyed steel. Etidronic acid also acts to retard rancidification and oxidation of fatty acids.

HEDP and its salts are added to detergents and other cleaning agents to prevent the effects of hard water. It is also used in peroxide bleaching to prevent degradation of peroxides by transition metals.

Etidronic acid is listed as an ingredient of several cosmetic formulations where it is used for suppressing radical formation, emulsion stabiliser and viscosity control. While etidronic acid has not been limited from inclusion in cosmetics and does have legitimate uses, it is recommended that, as with most cosmetic products (particularly soaps), the product should be thoroughly rinsed from the skin after use.

Etidronic acid is also included among swimming pool chemicals. It is used as a stain inhibitor to prevent metal ions coming out of solution and staining the sides of swimming pools.

Etidronic acid - Wikipedia

-
Disodium distyrylbiphenyl disulfonate

* Sometimes referred to by its trade name Tinopal CBS-X. For more info, read this TIA Article.
This multi-purpose ingredient functions as a stabilizer, hair conditioning agent, surfactant, viscocity (thickness) controlling agent and UV absorber. Many skin care companies market it as an optical brightener, one that absorbs light to make the face look whiter. It can be found in products such as anti-aging treatment, bar soap, eye cream and facial moisturizer.

Functions:

This multi-purpose ingredient functions as a stabilizer, hair conditioning agent, surfactant, viscocity (thickness) controlling agent and UV absorber. Many skin care companies market it as an optical brightener, one that absorbs light to make the face look whiter. It can be found in products such as anti-aging treatment, bar soap, eye cream and facial moisturizer.

Safety Measures/Side Effects:

Topical application has been shown to irritate the skin & eyes. Animal Studies have shown low doses of this ingredient to cause irritation and organ effects at low doses. It's best that individuals with sensitive skin only use this ingredient in rinse-off products, or avoid it alltogether.

- Citronellol

Citronellol, or dihydrogeraniol, is a natural acyclic monoterpenoid. Both enantiomers occur in nature. (+)-Citronellol, which is found in citronella oils, including Cymbopogon nardus (50%), is the more common isomer. (−)-Citronellol is found in the oils of rose (18–55%) and Pelargonium geraniums.[1]

Preparation[edit]
Citronellol can be prepared by hydrogenation of geraniol or nerol.[2][3]

Uses[edit]
Citronellol is used in perfumes and insect repellents,[4] and as a mite attractant.[5] Citronellol is a good mosquito repellent at short distances, but protection greatly lessens when the subject is slightly further from the source.[6] When complexed with β-cyclodextrin, it has on average a 1.5 hour protection duration against mosquitoes.[7]

Citronellol is used as a raw material for the production of rose oxide.[8]

Health and safety[edit]
The United States FDA considers citronellol as generally recognized as safe (GRAS) for food use.[5] Citronellol is subject to restrictions on its use in perfumery,[9]as some people may become sensitised to it, but the degree to which citronellol can cause an allergic reaction in humans is disputed.[10][11]

Citronellol - Wikipedia

Turns out i was right when i wrote that it smells also like citronella anti-mosquito candles! :lol1:
Anyway, various ingredients not too innocent there and the only thing that might have some relation to lemon, is the "parfum". But for my nose, it's the most failed lemon scent ever. Derby lemon runs circles around this.

At least i know that if i go on vacation to mosquito infested place, i can cover myself in Arko and laugh while the others get bitten! :laugh:

That's fascinating. Thanks for posting.

Arko as skeeter juice. Whodathunkit?

You can even pass your Arko from your swimming pool's walls to prevent stainning! That's not a shaving soap! It's a multi-tool! :thumbup: UV absorbing too! Ran out of sunscreen? Put some Arko on and enjoy the sun! :jump:

Bonus! Do you still buy carbon steel blades? Put them inside Arko! it will protect them from corrosion!

One more! I underestimated this! MORE Anti-mosquito power!!!! But beware of bees!

- Geraniol

Geraniol is a monoterpenoid and an alcohol. It is the primary part of rose oil, palmarosa oil, and citronella oil (Java type). It also occurs in small quantities in geranium, lemon, and many other essential oils. It appears as a clear to pale-yellow oil that is insoluble in water, but soluble in most common organic solvents. It has a rose-like scent and is commonly used in perfumes. It is used in flavors such as peach, raspberry, grapefruit, red apple, plum, lime, orange, lemon, watermelon, pineapple, and blueberry.

Use[edit]
Research has shown geraniol to be an effective plant-based mosquito repellent.[3][4] On the other hand, it can attract bees as it is produced by the scent glands of honey bees to help them mark nectar-bearing flowers and locate the entrances to their hives.[5]

Although geraniol and other flavor compounds are found naturally in well-aged tobacco, geraniol is listed in a 1994 report from cigarette companies as one of the 599 additives to cigarettes to improve their flavor.[6]

Biochemistry[edit]
The functional group based on geraniol (in essence, geraniol lacking the terminal -OH) is called geranyl. It is important in biosynthesis of other terpenes. It is a by-product of the metabolism of sorbate and, thus, is a very unpleasant contaminant of wine if bacteria are allowed to grow in it.

Reactions[edit]
In acidic solutions, geraniol is converted to the cyclic terpene alpha-terpineol.

Health and safety[edit]
Geraniol is classified as D2B (Toxic materials causing other effects) using the Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS). Geraniol is considered a severe eye (and moderate skin) irritant.[7]

Geraniol - Wikipedia

EDIT: This was how i had described the scent a week ago:

I think it's actually unfair to lemon, if one calls Arko's scent being artificial lemon. It's not lemon. It's like a frankenstein scent made from chemical lemon, citronella anti-mosquito candles, citrus urinal puck and floor detergent.

I think that the reality goes beyond imagination, but i did my best to describe this...multi-tool that is sold under the disguise of a shaving soap. :lol:

Last edited:
The last five compounds are scent chemicals, probably synthetic. The three in front of those are preservatives and chelating agents to prevent rancidity and help prevent calcium salts of fatty acids from forming (soap scum).

None of this is very exciting. I think most people make far too much of the scent -- it's a bit much, but aging the stick out of the wrapper for a while gets rid of the worst of it, and the soap itself is as good as anything else out there for shaving with. The scent is gone shortly after shaving, at least for me.

I think that the reality goes beyond imagination, but i did my best to describe this...multi-tool that is sold under the disguise of a shaving soap. :lol:

[/QUOTE]

+1! :a14::a14::a14:

Nice Info on Arko Soap! I shaved today with Arko & it has good cushion & slickness. It was a DFS & not a single nick. Its hard to ask more from a soap.

Top Bottom