What's new

Arko stick longevity.

Hey all you Arko fans. Thought I'd report on my findings so far. I've documented the shaves on this stick out of curiousity - how many shaves does an Arko stick give? Well I kept track and here are my findings.

I just completed my 70th shave with this stick (which cost me a $1.08 when purchased 12 sticks/$13 shipped online). Here's a pic of it beside an unopened stick for comparison. I can see hitting 90 to 100 shaves easily before it's gone. Not bad for $1.08, eh? :thumbup:

The bases of each stick are perfectly flush with one another.
proxy.php

Nice, I've just gotten ahold of arko (as a puck however) and I can see why it's a classic, Im amazed how cheap and effective it is

Yep, I love this stuff! In case you haven't figured it out yet - Arko likes LOTS of water, so I use a WET boar brush and it's a 30 second lather!

Yep, I love this stuff! In case you haven't figured it out yet - Arko likes LOTS of water, so I use a WET boar brush and it's a 30 second lather!

I definitely noticed that. During my 3017, I was brush loading it and bowl lathering. But when I started using it as a stick and face lather, I guess I didn't remember how much water I used before lol. My first pass was OK but after rinsing and having a wet face and relatherimg, that's when it hit the sweet spot....
have to remember that next time. Maybe also try your wet brush idea...

And also, as soon as my restraint is done, whether by finishing or dropping, definitely looking into ATT. Was looking at the 7 piece set. Seems like the best bang for your buck for all you get.

I definitely noticed that. During my 3017, I was brush loading it and bowl lathering. But when I started using it as a stick and face lather, I guess I didn't remember how much water I used before lol. My first pass was OK but after rinsing and having a wet face and relatherimg, that's when it hit the sweet spot....
have to remember that next time. Maybe also try your wet brush idea...

When I say wet brush, what I do is... Soak the brush in a cup of hot tap water for a few minutes while I scrub my face with Dove soap and rinse. Then I run the tip of the Arko stick under the hot tap water for a few seconds, then rub it around on my whiskers to apply the soap. I grab the (Omega 10065) boar brush from the cup and go straight to my face to lather. I don't shake any water out of the brush, it goes fully loaded with water. I work the lather for 20-30 seconds and it's ready to go!

I do a two-pass shave followed with a splash of Aqua Velva :thumbup:

If you only get 90-100 shaves out of a stick, then I better order some more as my 11 sticks wont last me as long as I hoped! LOL

Thx. for the info Jeff!

I did shave 91 on my stick this morning and I figure it has around another 20 or so left. Great shaves, great price.

I did shave 91 on my stick this morning and I figure it has around another 20 or so left. Great shaves, great price.

Ah! Yes, that's about where I'll end up it appears, around 100'ish +/-

Amazing stuff it is. And yes with a totally retro wrapper/image to go with it, LOL!

I'm still hoping that someday they make a cream version of this. Same design on the tube! :thumbup1:
Arko makes cream, several varieties in tubes. The Regular is the only one I have tried, and I do not recall it having any particular scent. Like the soap, it lathers richly and is a good product at a good price. After trying several creams, I have found Arko Soap works well with the method my father used 50 years ago with his Old Spice mug. Lather right on the soap in the mug. Brush lather on the wet face. Shave. If you are having a good time and going for BBS, lather and shave or buff another 3 or 4 times.

Thats great! THanks for sharing, i have an Arko stick that i use only occasionally, and i really like it every time i do. I have a feeling it will last me a long long time, going by your findings :)

I estimate 2-4 months per Arko stick. I don't keep track of the number of shaves or passes per shave as my routine varies with schedule from 0 passes per day (no shaving) to 6 passes (shaving three times in a day). When I moved to face lathering the sticks began to last longer.

Arko makes cream, several varieties in tubes. The Regular is the only one I have tried, and I do not recall it having any particular scent. Like the soap, it lathers richly and is a good product at a good price. After trying several creams, I have found Arko Soap works well with the method my father used 50 years ago with his Old Spice mug. Lather right on the soap in the mug. Brush lather on the wet face. Shave. If you are having a good time and going for BBS, lather and shave or buff another 3 or 4 times.

Been using the cream, don't mind some of them at all really. It's the Arko Stick scent in a cream I want to see. Nice red metal tube instead of what they usually use, and the 'Shave Guy Design' on it. Very wishful thinking indeed!

Been using the cream, don't mind some of them at all really. It's the Arko Stick scent in a cream I want to see. Nice red metal tube instead of what they usually use, and the 'Shave Guy Design' on it. Very wishful thinking indeed!

I did read here that someone had grated a stick and added some distilled water and let it sit. When he squeezed it out of the bag it was a cream.... worth the dollar for the stick to try it to find the best ratio of water to arko...
I guess it dissolved....
Man, now I want to try that...

Top Bottom