What's new

Arko Scent Description Thread

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I placed an order with Tryphon for a Speick shave stick and some single-edge blades, and he tossed in a free Arko stick. After reading this thread, I decided to see what the fuss was about.

It smells like Ivory soap to me - which I don't find offensive. My wife has extremely sensitive skin, and after many years of experimenting, found that Ivory was the only soap that did not eventually start irritating her skin. So I use Ivory soap daily. Arko smelled nice and pleasant - and the smell is nowhere near as strong once you lather with it.

In terms of performance, I was impressed. For such a cheap soap (comparable to the Williams mug soap I have come to despise), this stuff is incredible. The lather I was able to work up on my face using my Vulfix 660 medium pure brush (thanks to Lee Cantor for the recommendation) was very rich, slick, and cushiony. I got a great 3 pass shave with it. Honestly, even if you find the scent offensive, it is barely there in the lather. For ~$2, and for a tallow soap (I know there are a lot of you tallow snobs out there), it seems insane to not give this stuff a shot.

Incidentally, I got a large sized medicine bottle from my local pharmacy, wet one end of the soap, and smashed it into the inside of the lid of the bottle, so it stays and makes a nice handle. When I am done and have dried out the soap, I simply screw the bottle over the soap - perfect travel container. Incidentally, I do the same thing for the Speick shave stick - except you can use a smaller bottle, and it fits perfectly (discard the plastic handle that comes with that stick).

It is very pliable. I flattened mine by pushing the ends toward the middle and then pressed it into my Old Spice mug. It works great. My wife doesn't like the smell, but it does fade after a while.

Another thing I have done with an Arko stick was grate it with another soap that I liked the smell of, but didn't lather very well. The combination worked very well.

Incidentally, I got a large sized medicine bottle from my local pharmacy, wet one end of the soap, and smashed it into the inside of the lid of the bottle, so it stays and makes a nice handle. When I am done and have dried out the soap, I simply screw the bottle over the soap - perfect travel container. Incidentally, I do the same thing for the Speick shave stick - except you can use a smaller bottle, and it fits perfectly (discard the plastic handle that comes with that stick).

Mike --

That is a great idea for a Stick container. I'm going to look and see what sticks I have and what medication bottles/caps I have.

Thanks for the Idea!!

BTW, I've always held the Shaves/lathers from the Arko stick in high regard. :w00t: It's a great product.

-- John Gehman

I keep my Speick Stick in a large Rx bottle. I keep the Arko Stick in a soap dish. I get great shaves from both.

Arko sticks fit in the large-size old Colgate shaving stick containers. If you cut the end off a Speick or Valobra stick, they'll fit in the small-size Colgate shaving stick tubes, or (full length) Williams shave stick tubes. I travel with the Speick in a small Colgate tin tube, and it's kind of nice. Plus it works well.

The trouble with the small old Colgate tubes -- lots of splits on the caps; the metal is thin and it's easy to overtighten them, I guess.

The scent in my bowl with the mashed-in stick finally calmed enough I was willing to give it a whirl.

At the last moment I decided to superlather the Arko with some Proraso to change up the scent.

Wow! One of the best lathers I have ever made. Thick, slick, shiny, kept going like the Energizer bunny.

I still think the stuff stinks, but I'll never say it doesn't lather like a champ.

I concur...

wow. Old thread, but I have to chime in since I just tried this recently. Arko reminds me of some soaps I’d find in gas stations or at grandparents when I was really young (like 5 maybe?). It’s an animal fat product, and I presume most modern soaps are not made of animal product. Does the fact it’s an animal product affect the smell?

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
wow. Old thread, but I have to chime in since I just tried this recently. Arko reminds me of some soaps I’d find in gas stations or at grandparents when I was really young (like 5 maybe?). It’s an animal fat product, and I presume most modern soaps are not made of animal product. Does the fact it’s an animal product affect the smell?
I was hoping someone would discuss Arko's scent. It is such an important topic that just doesn't seem to get the attention it deserves, and I don't understand why it doesn't. I mean, you had to go all the way back to 2008 to find someone willing to discuss it.

Top Bottom