What's new

Arko Man: An Arko August Biography

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Am I the only one who is curious about Arko Man? Let's get to know the man behind the lather. Who is he? Where is he from? Has he done other work besides Arko?

I have some theories about the Life and Times of Arko Man that may surprise. Stay tuned. In the meantime, what do you know about Arko Man? What rumors have you heard? Have you met him? Let's get to know the REAL Arko man.

arko.jpg

Owen Bawn

Arko Man Question Number One:
Why does an icon of Turkish marketing like Arko Man look like a character on The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis or some other American TV comedy from the 1950s?
Is Arko Man really Turkish after all?
What is your theory?
Stay tuned.

Arko Man Question Number One:
Why does an icon of Turkish marketing like Arko Man look like a character on The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis or some other American TV comedy from the 1950s?
Is Arko Man really Turkish after all?
What is your theory?
Stay tuned.
Turkey is a crossroads between Europe and Asia. Remember the Ottoman Empire? The Empire's area was huge. You can find Turkish people that have light hair, dark hair, brown eyes and blue eyes, etc. Some of them look Middle Eastern, some look European, sone look like they are from somewhere in Central Asia, and so on.

Arko Man is a Turkish Everyman, but he stands out. He's a nice-looking guy who likes being clean-cut and well-groomed. Everybody likes him. If you want to be like Arko Man, you know what you have to do.

Yeah, I never gave the identity of the Arko man much thought, but I think it is information that is vital for all Arko fetishists.
Wonder if you emailed Arko. I am assuming that they would know if it was based on a real person or is just a construct of the imagination of the artist who originally produced the image that adorns the packaging of the shaving soap of the gods!

Evyap the company who owns Arko was actually created by a greek man in 1927 selling cosmetics. In 1957 they created their first shave stick ( you can guess which one). The man on the picture is the nephew of the owner whose name is Panos. According to an old timer I know that's the story. Whether or not is accurate/true I can't tell.

As a Turk I was a bit surprised. I am so glad to see this topic here. But honestly even we, Turks, don't exactly know who is the Arko Man. We have talked and discussed about it on our Turkish Shaving Forum (Geltir) actually and we came to conclusion that it was taken from a Yeşilçam (Turkish cinema) Artist, Murat Soydan, I am going to add a photo of Murat Soydan. Take a look at him, please. What is your thoughts on it?

Attachments

• Murat Soydan.jpg
    Murat Soydan.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 27
  • ae091ee414b5e7c404e71ea053e2fc73.jpg
    ae091ee414b5e7c404e71ea053e2fc73.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 24

Owen Bawn

Very interesting, @TiffanyGT ! Perhaps it is time for ARKO CINEMA.

The only problem with what we will call the "Soydan Theory" is that Murat Soydan was born in 1940, meaning he was only 17 years old in 1957 when Arko first used Arko Man on their soap wrapper.

Top Bottom