What's new

Arko - Love/Hate

Agree 100%. Performance is great, smell is awful. As others have said, the smell dissipates if left out in the open. I left mine on the ledge in the shower for a few months, and now it has almost no smell.

I found smell to be terrible. Lather to be copious. But it dried my skin like nothing else ever has so I will never use it again.

I recently added Arko shave soap to one of my maggards purchases to try it out for the first time. I have dozens of artisanal soaps and some of the classic mass production soaps, but I usually stick to artisanal. I needed to add a few bucks to get free shipping and I’ve wanted to try Arko so I added it. The scent is disgusting to my nose. Off the puck and lathered there is a strong industrial cleaner scent reminiscent of a urinal cake. Scent aside the performance for me is absolutely awesome. I love the protection slickness and most of all the post shave feel. I have only used it 3 times now but every time is fantastic. The scent keeps me from using it. Any others out there feel the same way?
I love it, and use it alot. Leave it in the open air and the scent will disappear. BTW, you can leave your puke open in a mug. The gnats and other bugs won't touch or get near Arko.

If you want to get nuts, pair the Arko shave stick/puck with some lilac vegetal and you will really be living!

Arko to me is great, it's a nice scent that will calm down as you use it, it's a great performer, and if you were take that same puck and put it in a cool container with a hip and trendy name your artisan soap guys would be paying $20.00 for it.

Some of the artisan soap snobs are like micro brew guys.

I do not shave with soaps unless they smell like $475 French niche perfumes and include platypus fat harnessed in March, 2016 vintage exclusively. Sub $25 soaps burn my ivory face!

proxy.php

Post of the day!!:a17::a17::a17:

Smells fine to me. There was a big poll a few years back on whether Arko smelled bad enough to prevent home invasions or if it smelled nice.
Nice won by a big margin. The people with irregular sniffers are the ones most likely to post "it stinks!" though.

Welcome to B&B, Sir Adis!!

I took an Arko stick along on my recent 2 week trip and it shaved great!
Really don't mind the lemony scent.
If it were artisanal, there would be mountains of rave reviews!!

alaska travel kit august 2019.jpg

and if you were take that same puck and put it in a cool container with a hip and trendy name your artisan soap guys would be paying $20.00 for it.

Some of the artisan soap snobs are like micro brew guys.

TRUTH! Kirko approves! Years back, there was a thread to name the Arko man. He looks a lot like an early Captain James T. Kirk, so the consensus was his name is Kirko.

Let's Name the Arko Guy!

There are certainly Arko haters and Arko lovers.
I have tried a lot of soaps and it it not the worst I have tried, but it is far from the best. Personally, I would just as soon shave with Yardley of London Cocoa Butter bath soap; it smells better and leaves my skin feeling great.
1. I find the scent to be OK, neither pleasant nor disgusting.
2. It lathers reasonably well.
3. It has excellent slickness, but not at the level of the best soaps. Residual slickness is somewhat lacking; I am reluctant to use buffing strokes.
4. The cushion is good, but not great.
5. The post-shave is where Arko lets me down. It leaves my face feeling tight and dry. You can compensate for that using a shave balm or lotion, but I would rather not have to do so.

Thus, I do not mind shaving with Arko occasionally, but my face could not tolerate Arko day after day. Thus, I did not participate in the Arko August challenge.

Arko lathers effortlessly in literally any water on earth, costs no money at all, and just plain works. It's mainly my travel soap

I've said it before but I don't care much about scent (weaker is better, matching soaps for all your aftershaves is the biggest marketing scam in this industry) or post-shave (aftershave exists, and I don't mean the alcohol+fragrance crap)

I went on an extended fishing trip in the wilds of Northern Ontario one summer. What you might not know about Northern Ontario being it’s in the Canada and all, is that in the summer, they have mosquitoes that put the tropics mosquitoes, Africa’s mosquitoes, and all of Indonesia’s mosquitoes combined, to shame!

They are freaking air Puranas! Worse still, they coordinate attacks with their ally and equally painful cousins, the venerable... horsefly. The air-cuda.

But note, if you shave with Arko in the morning, remarkably you’ll be fine for up to an 8 hour period. You fish while your mates dance. Yup.

Lol no, my dislike for the scent has nothing to do with the fact that it’s not artisanal. I have had 5 or 6 tubs of cello in my life (I’m 30) and it will always be in my lineup. Furthermore, i find a ton of artisanal scents suck too.

Top Bottom