What's new

Arko drying out skin???

I used to find that my skin would be really dry after an Arko shave, however since I used to a synthetic brush i no longer have this issue. Has anyone else found this? Quite often my skin would go red and blotchy after a shave with one of my boar’s again switching to a synthetic I’ve not experienced this once!!
My skin must not like natural hair brushes.
I’m using a Yaqi Sagrada Familia which I cannot recommend enough!

Perhaps the synthetic is softer? A brush that is too scrubby will leave your skin more prone to drying out.

I used to use boar but with so many great brush choices it's harder to justify them. If you do use boar, it should be high quality with split hairs.

Arko tends to be a bit drying anyway, but it sounds like the issue was either scritch with the boar or a sensitivity to the boar hair.

If you face lather, you might want to try switching to bowl or palm lathering for a couple of weeks to see if that also makes a difference.

The simple answer is that synthetics are easier to whip up a decent lather. From your description I'd say you either need to work on your lathering technique with natural brushes (hydration in particular), or you have hard water. Synths deal with hard water much better.

Arko works fine to me, either with synthetic of boar brush.
Maybe boar wasnt soaked enough in warm water?

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Arko is slightly drying for me but, so are other soaps I have used. Witch Hazel or Skin Bracer take care of it for me. 👍

Arko is slightly drying for me but, so are other soaps I have used. Witch Hazel or Skin Bracer take care of it for me. 👍

interesting, witch hazel drys me out too, I have to rinse it off after a minute or two.
I thoroughly soak my boars in hot water whilst I’m showering. I have 4 boars which I love using but I can only use them with certain soaps.

Arko can be its own worst enemy. Because it lathers so easily, folks stop adding water as soon as the lather looks good. Keep adding water until the lather gets shiny. Better yet, try adding water until you drown it. You'll be surprised how much water Arko can hold. Arko is more drying than a lot of other soaps, but less so when adequately hydrated. As an added bonus, the more water you add, the slicker it gets. (but it won't catch Williams!)

Arko can be its own worst enemy. Because it lathers so easily, folks stop adding water as soon as the lather looks good. Keep adding water until the lather gets shiny. Better yet, try adding water until you drown it. You'll be surprised how much water Arko can hold. Arko is more drying than a lot of other soaps, but less so when adequately hydrated. As an added bonus, the more water you add, the slicker it gets. (but it won't catch Williams!)
I will give it a try Rick..!

I was just going to pretty much say this. I was having skin drying issues with Arko until I started using more water. I also splash my face completely off with water after every pass when I use Arko.

After that my Arko dry face issues went away. I've just been doing this for the last 6 month's or so. So I can't say how it will work out through the fall/winter. But it's a very noticeable improvement. Arko is also much slicker. So it's been a win win situation for me.

Give it a try and let us know.

Arko dries my skin, but that's never much of an issue as I always slather on some Nivea cream all over my face after my aftershave splash regardless of what soap I use.

Never a problem for me with Arko!
Always use lots of water!

arko merkur feather truefitt and hill 1805 april 18 2019.jpg

I’ve always had a good slick lather using plenty of water, for me it’s been the change of brush. Just wanted to share my experiences.

Top Bottom