What's new

Arko August 2022

August 1

This morning, I used an Astra Platinum (20) that was already loaded intoa UK Gillette Rocket. My ARKO stick is getting short, but was fine for face lathering with a Yaqi 24mm badger (I'm pretty sure this one is called Mysterious Space). One small weeper to my chin.

He anyone else noticed that Yaqi brush sizes are inconsistent across brushes? The 26mm Moka Express is much bigger that this 24mm.

2022-08-01 10.12.48.jpg

August 1

...Has anyone else noticed that Yaqi brush sizes are inconsistent across brushes? The 26mm Moka Express is much bigger that this 24mm.
I've got the two-band bulb Mysterious Space brush. It's officially a 24mm knot, but seems bigger than some other brush knots I've got of the same nominal size (like a Semogue SOC). Any bigger and it would awkward to use, so I did not try the larger sizes from Yaqi.

* Cross Posted from August GRUME

Scent - My puck was dated 09/2018. Given that, I did not find this puck to be overpowering nor offensive. The smell is familiar to me but I cannot place it definitively. I can pickup on why this soap is described as industrial; I also could describe this as clean and fresh. I can pick up the citronella finish, but I would not use that as a primary descriptor.

True story - passing the facilities at the beach yesterday evening provided the same aroma... :blushing:

Performance - I have the tendency to load soaps or bases unfamiliar to me rather, on the heavier side. Not obscenely heavy but definitely more than enough. This allows me to create a proper and dense lather without worry that it dries or thins out quickly. I have to say that it provided a very comfortable shave and the aroma dissipated quicker than say Tabac's would. I cannot rate the post-shave or what some have attributed to drying as I applied a balm afterward. I will add that I found that the soap dried at the tail end of each pass, when I finish on my chin. I'm sure this will self-correct as I get more dialed in; but I circumvent by using a wetter than normal razor. Using Stirling Green completely buried any residual trace of Arko scent...

Overall - Being this as my first use I have nothing to complain about; very positive and in this small tub form would make as a great travel soap. Fairly inexpensive for 90g, but I will reserve a full summary for end of month.
  • No Pre-Shave Oil
  • ARKO (SOTM)
  • Omega Pro 49 Boar
  • Weishi 9306p - Wilkinson TTO
  • Gillette PermaSharp (2)
  • Kiehl's Blue Astringent
  • Stirling Splash
  • Nivea Soothing (Sensitive) Post-Shave Balm
IMG_7909.JPG

Updated with our late arrivals. :)

Arko August 2022 Participants List

Arko Gung-ho (all Arko, all August)
:a20:

1. FoolishMortal
  2. steveclarkus
  3. Multum in parvo
  4. Big_T
  5. RumpleBearskin
  6. DalShaver
  7. ajkel64
  8. bluesman 7
  9. InkStainedWretch
  10. bdehne
  11. Egmont
  12. alla2465
  13. Uberbey
  14. Draig
  15. Yura_
  16. Arbor Man
  17. Steve56 (unless he's not)
  18. JayFromBrooklyn
  19. psfred
Arko on the Down-low (some Arko, sometimes)
:shifty:

1. RenoRichard
  2. timetofly
  3. Ravenrock
  4. Butch Waxx - ?
  5. ewk
  6. tjsgarden
  7. Ted A
  8. Kix
  9. PRobots
  10. shave/brush
  11. La Malice
  12. NorthernSoul
  13. 1Pet5_8
  14. redrako
  15. ChriWilson
Arko-Boarko-Loko (All Arko, plus boar brushes only) 🐷
  1. Lee93
  2. Messygoon
  3. P1CO
  4. ksblazer
  5. BaPh96
  6. cryhavoc
  7. rbscebu
Arko MakeItUpAsYouGoGo (your Arko, your way)
:cuppa:

1. FarmerTan - he's 97% BoarShark
  2. South Dakota Guy - a little Arko, a little Sharko
  3. Vulcan Bubbles - 97%er
  4. borwish - all Arko, some Sharko
  5. Robbie7 - Arko-Sharko all the way
  6. KMF79 - All the things! (Arko, Sharko, Boarko, Aventus - oh!)
  7. Alohawyatt - It's a mystery...
  8. JCarr - Arko-Sharko all the way
Arko is a no-go (no Arko, no way)
:letterk2:

• Mike M

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Razor: Rockwell 6S, plate 4
Blade: Astra Superior Stainless (2)
Brush: Zenith aluminum boar, 27mm
Soap: Arko
Aftershave: Proraso Aloe & Vitamin E balm
Growth: 24 hours
Passes: WTG, ATG, cleanup
Rating: 9/10

Great start to August. Arko's soapy lather cleans deeply; perfect for St. Louis's sweltering August days. I did have to reload for a second pass, a rarity for me. Yet, the performance of this $2 stick simply boggles the mind. @FarmerTan would be proud!

998BE42C-B35B-4324-9E2A-74B2113FBAE6.jpeg

Arko 1st:

SOTD
  • Thin-cap Old Type
  • Nacet (15)
  • Semogue Taj Boar
  • ARKO! - SOTM and Arko August
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling South Padre ASB
  • Stirling Bergamot and Lavender AS
No shaves over the weekend meant that I had a lot to work with today. The TCOT, with short strokes and no pressure, made quick work of the whiskers.

This was my first use of Arko since last August. The stick was mooshed into a container from another soap, with a tight-fitting lid, so it still has some scent and was soft-ish to boot. My Taj seems to be the most lather-hoggish of the group (go figure), but using Arko meant that I was not lacking for lather, and there was minimal warmth from the aftershave, even though the TCOT is generally a bit rough on the XTG/ATG pass. Nice.

Onward!

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
I'm off to a flying start working my way through my English M7DS with an ARKO stick faced lathered with a Proraso Pro boar brush. DFS+ result.

Did you jump the gun, or are you going to pull the "I'm on other side of the International Date Line" excuse? :001_rolle

G'day mate! Hope all is well with you in the land down under. Beautiful set up, by the way!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Razor: Rockwell 6S, plate 4
Blade: Astra Superior Stainless (2)
Brush: Zenith aluminum boar, 27mm
Soap: Arko
Aftershave: Proraso Aloe & Vitamin E balm
Growth: 24 hours
Passes: WTG, ATG, cleanup
Rating: 9/10

Great start to August. Arko's soapy lather cleans deeply; perfect for St. Louis's sweltering August days. I did have to reload for a second pass, a rarity for me. Yet, the performance of this $2 stick simply boggles the mind. @FarmerTan would be proud!

View attachment 1497738
I need to shave tonight. I think I am FINALLY over the werstest of my second confirmed covid go-round. This time I only shaved twice, and tonight I think I will get rid of this 5? day growth. ArkoSharko for me, I think.

Advanced Arkoliffic Arkological Achievements at Arkoland in August...Day 2

PXL_20220802_151009682.PORTRAIT.jpg

Rockwell 6S, plate 4
Astra Platinum
Arko stick
Omega Italian and Razorock Plissoft
Shave 2X WTG using Slide technique

Today I wanted to directly compare the cheek feel of both brushes. On the first pass, I used the Italian on the left side of my face and neck and the Razorock synthetic on the other side. I switched sides during the second pass.
The Plissoft tips were softer but with less pressure, the Italian was almost as soft. The Omega brush is still a work in progress. I think with further break-in (and less brushing pressure) the boar brush will get even softer.

Every time I use the Rockwell I am reminded that this is a great razor.

As a side note, I was born in Arkansas. Back in the "olden" days it was common to use 3 or 4 letters to identify states.
Ark. was a common abbreviation back in the 60s. For that reason I guess you could say I was born an Arkolian.

Good Day To All!

August 2nd, I put the Arko stick up front last night so I'd remember to use it today; a two-pass shave, with some tugging, but in the end a close enough shave scoring 8/10:

Razor: Maxwell June twinned DE
Blade: Schick Krona SS- vintage (16)- now retired having delivered over two weeks of fine shaves
Lather: Arko stick
Brush: Omega 10108 boar- a very good low-cost option, but not as nice for me as the Omega Jade or the Zenith 506 unbleached
Post: rinse, then a little Lucky Tiger to hopefully prevent any post-shave itchy neck

Have some wonderful shaves!

PXL_20220802_154818282.jpg

Top Bottom