What's new

Arko August 2022

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
550A6A5E-5EC9-438C-9F3A-2536003979FB.jpeg

Arko August Shave number twenty today. Still Arko all the way and using my Merkur 34C and a Treet Platinum on shave number 6. Another pretty good shave today, no nicks or weepers.

I'm on a 3017 mission to kill a tub Sterling Glastonbury, which will not be too difficult due to there only being about 20% left. This morning a scraped a smidge of Arko into the bottom of my bowl combined with a gram or so smoodge of Glastonbury. So much more enjoyable. This combo will be how I will proceed in finishing off the Glastonbury tub. Better lather and the scents compliment each other in a wierd way.

Well, it's been two days since I shaved, and I've gotten a few fun things in the mail, so I went a little "Loko."

Arko Boarko Loko #11
  • 1961 G3 (birth quarter) Fatboy expertly replated in Palladium by Chris Spencer at BackRoadsGold. AND late 1960s Schick Krona for finishing
  • 1986 G2 Gillette Super Stainless "The Spoiler" (7) in the Fatboy stropped for comfort with a recently acquired 1920 Twinplex DeLuxe DE blade stropper
  • Feather (3) in the Krona stropped for comfort with the 1920 Twinplex DeLuxe
  • Arko stick face-lathered with Semogue 820 Boar
  • Nivea Sensitive Cool balm followed with a splash of vintage Old Spice after shave lotion
PXL_20220820_140241225.jpg
PXL_20220820_144532524.jpg
PXL_20220820_145221899.jpg

I wasn't sure that my Spoiler blade was up to the task, so I took a Feather-loaded Krona into the shower with me as a backup. I did two very fine and comfortable passes with the Fatboy and the Spoiler and got to DFS that way. The Krona was calling out to me, and I was in the mood for BBS, so I grabbed it for a third pass plus touchups and sailed smoothly to my BBS target.

The Twinplex stropper arrived a couple days ago with some really dried out leather in it. So, I oiled it up yesterday and broke it out today to see whether I could smooth out my Spoiler blade that felt tired last time I used it. While I was at it, I gave the same treatment to the Feather blade to see if I could tone it down a little. The machine worked brilliantly on both blades!

Down Low Boarko-Arko-Loko Day, #20

PXL_20220820_150104253.PORTRAIT.jpg

Gillette King razor
Personna Platinum
Omega Italian
B&M Cheshire (first pass)
Arko (second pass)

Good Day Gents

@mgweatherly Wow! What a nice haul! I am glad to hear the stropper worked good.

The Italian brush worked excellent making the Cheshire lather in a bowl. It is a thin application but it is really slick. The brush has a high loft and works better as a painter than a scrubber. I am looking forward to using my new Semgue SOC tomorrow. The Arko scent was delightful and refreshing! It is a little drying but some post-shave moisturizers left me in good shape.

Personna Platinum blades are very good. I am on my 10th-ish shave and still going strong. I used to be a 3 and done blade user.

Down Low Boarko-Arko-Loko Day, #20

View attachment 1508341

Gillette King razor
Personna Platinum
Omega Italian
B&M Cheshire (first pass)
Arko (second pass)

Good Day Gents

@mgweatherly Wow! What a nice haul! I am glad to hear the stropper worked good.

The Italian brush worked excellent making the Cheshire lather in a bowl. It is a thin application but it is really slick. The brush has a high loft and works better as a painter than a scrubber. I am looking forward to using my new Semgue SOC tomorrow. The Arko scent was delightful and refreshing! It is a little drying but some post-shave moisturizers left me in good shape.

Personna Platinum blades are very good. I am on my 10th-ish shave and still going strong. I used to be a 3 and done blade user.
My stropper cost $1. It did require a little love to make it functional. Not only doors it work, it's fun.

I've used ARKO exclusively since July 24, and intend to complete August using only ARKO! At the rate I'm using the ARKO puck, it will last at least a year, easily.

Cold water throughout the shave
Perfecto badger brush
Bicrops porcelain lather bowl
ARKO puck (ARKO August)
Razorock Lupo 95OC
Astra Superior Platinum (new)
Pinaud Clubman after shave

This was a three pass shave; WTG, XTG, ATG. Good results with the Lupo 95OC and an Astra SP blade, much better than the last shave using a Voskhod. No bloodshed. Tiny bit of irritation was indicated by the after shave, but no issues after a few seconds.
It was a true BBS shave.
10/10

ARKO August 20

Razor: Gillette New SC (replated in nickel)
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (4)
Brush: Omega 10108 pro boar
Soap: ARKO stick + Gold Dachs
A/S: DIY lemon witch hazel, Stephan Bay Rum

DFS+

Today's ARKO August experiment (#9) was an unusual combination. The fairly pricey Gold Dachs soap went slumming with an ARKO stick. ARKO did its tallowy thing and Gold Dachs was just as good as ever. The scents blended together pretty well.

This was a very close shave with plenty of great lather from this combo.

Top Bottom