What's new

Arko August 2022

For my third Arko Boarko Loko shave, I tried to recreate a shaving experience from the dawn of Arko time. I understand that the company that makes Arko was founded in 1927. With a heavy emphasis on the "Loko" part of my Arko August journey, I chose this:

View attachment 1500219
This is my 1934 NEW type "Red Black" DeLuxe Special and a 1930 NEW type blade from the first quarter of production (A1=first quarter 1930). This was Gillette's first slotted DE blade. It is carbon steel. Notice that the slot is shaped differently than a modern DE blade. I crossed my fingers and stropped it before I loaded it. Well, even Arko and my Semogue 820 Boar could not save a shave with this old blade. It was impossibly dull, so I switched it out for a different vintage (but 56 years newer) Gillette Spoiler on its 4th shave. Night and day. The Spoiler rescued my shave, which ended up being a blood-free DFS+ in three passes.

To be fair, even though I took this blade from an original paper outer wrapper, the inner wrapper was missing. Also, from the looks of it in hindsight, the blade may have been a used one that just happened to be put back in its original outer wrapper. I have a bunch (like 50) of these blades, some of which are definitely NOS inside a box still wrapped with cellophane, so I will probably try this again. I might also try one of my 1930 Gillette DeLuxe Kro Man blades. They cost $0.20 per BLADE in 1930 ($2.00 for a box of 10). These were apparently Gillette's first stainless steel blade, but also were an abject failure because customers perceived them to be brittle.

Whichever blade I select, I will use my 1930 Berkshire (another Gillette NEW type) to get everything to line up on 1930. Stay tuned ;)
Apparently, the Arko shave stick that we all know and love was introduced in 1957 according to the little historic lesson found (here). So, I might have to adjust my timeframe for recreating a shave from the dawn of the Arko era.

Saturday, August 6th- ARKO/Boarko on the down low (shave #5)- an excellent two-pass shave, I'll score it a BBS-, 10-/10:

Razor: Gillette Tech
Blade: Wizamet SI (5)- smoother than the BIC CP (4) used yesterday for me, maybe just a hair less sharp, but good
Lather: ARKO stick- nice lather, I let the lather get just about runny for my second pass and it worked well; BTW my ARKO stick has an expiration date of April 2022- it's still fine, and still smells just like ARKO should :) ; I think this soap could survive being buried in a pyramid and would work after several thousand years- like a Twinkie might survive
Brush: Zenith 506 unbleached- my use continues, brush remains excellent
Post: rinse, then Thayer's Superhazel, a nice splash- too bad it was discontinued; I may need some moisturizer later- it's back to being warm and dry here after a wonderful, cooler <80F, rainy day yesterday

Be well everyone!

Is it me, or does participation in this thread seem a bit less than prior years? Surprising, as many folks did sign up.

PXL_20220806_163242741_2.jpg

August 6th

Today I loaded a Voskhod (7) into a UK Gillette flat bottom tech. The original handle is quite thin, so I've substituted a handle from a Col. Conk razor. I gave lathered ARKO with a 24mm badger from Yaqi. There was some tugging on the first pass, particularly around my chin. The rest of the shave was good, if not especially close.

20220806_122434-Edit.jpg

Let's do a little check-in, shall we?

Arko August 2022 Participants List

Arko Gung-ho (all Arko, all August)
:a20:

1. @FoolishMortal
  2. @steveclarkus
  3. @Multum in parvo
  4. @Big_T
  5. @RumpleBearskin
  6. @DalShaver
  7. @ajkel64
  8. @bluesman 7
  9. @InkStainedWretch
  10. @bdehne
  11. @Egmont
  12. @alla2465
  13. @uberbey
  14. @Draig
  15. @Yura_
  16. @Arbor Man
  17. @Steve56 (unless he's not)
  18. @JayFromBrooklyn
  19. @psfred
  20. @acantrel
Arko on the Down-low (some Arko, sometimes)
:shifty:

1. @RenoRichard
  2. @timetofly
  3. @Ravenonrock
  4. @Butch Waxx - ?
  5. @ewk
  6. @tjsgarden
  7. @Ted A
  8. @Kix
  9. @PRobots
  10. @shave/brush
  11. @La Malice
  12. @NorthernSoul
  13. @1Pet5_8
  14. @redrako
  15. @ChriWilson
  16. @Tom Bowman
Arko-Boarko-Loko (All Arko, plus boar brushes only) 🐷
  1. @Lee93
  2. @Messygoon
  3. @P1C0
  4. @ksblazer
  5. @BaPh96
  6. @cryhavoc
  7. @rbscebu
  8. @mgweatherly
Arko MakeItUpAsYouGoGo (your Arko, your way)
:cuppa:

1. @FarmerTan - he's 97% BoarShark
  2. @South Dakota Guy - a little Arko, a little Sharko
  3. @Vulcan Bubbles - 97%er
  4. @borwish - all Arko, some Sharko
  5. @Robbie7 - Arko-Sharko all the way
  6. @KMF79 - All the things! (Arko, Sharko, Boarko, Aventus - oh!)
  7. @Alohawyatt - It's a mystery...
  8. @JCarr - Arko-Sharko all the way
  9. @Filudo - umm...maybe?
Arko is a no-go (no Arko, no way)
:letterk2:

• Mike M

I've been off the grid for a while so I missed the start but I'd like to jump in now!

Really not hard. Arko became my "daily" five months ago. Travel and home.
I will admit to a few days of MWF in there. So Nothing but Arko for August then.

I also got on a boar brush phase to start the month, so for me it's, "BAGPA".

Boar, Arko, Game Changer, Proraso, August.

Embrace the Arko!

Attachments

• BAGPA.jpg
    BAGPA.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
3A2E11C4-4407-4BF3-A2F9-CB19EFD75D20.jpeg

Arko August Shave number seven for me today. Seventh shave with the Astra SP and the last. I got my seven shaves out of the blade but I gave myself a decent weeper under my chin and loads of sting from the Alum Block. New blade tomorrow morning, let’s see how a Jaws Blade goes.

7th shave with Arko for Arko August. I am surprised how nice my shaves have been so far. I expect that I’ll go further into August before having to change soaps than I have the last few years.

Razor: Parker Injector
Blade: Schick (10)
Brush: Frank 4G
Soap: Arko
Aftershave: Stirling Executive Man
Balm: Neutrogena Hydro Boost

CC3C2DCB-D1DB-4442-87B0-A5B25A67C75D.jpeg

Arko August
Shave: 4-7
August 4-7, 2022
1659884023728.png
𓆧𓆧𓆧𓆧𓆧𓆧𓆧𓆧𓆧𓆧𓆧
1659884015402.png

1659882784489.png

Soap: Arko stick smashed into a Jar
Razor: Fatip Nobile Gentile
Blade: Shark Platinum Super Stainless (50-51)
On the sixth and seventh I used my straight razor named Ida
Brush: Omega boar brush
2 pass some touch up with the SHARKO DFS.
There was no🩸in the water.

𓆧𓆧𓆧𓆧

1659884116229.png

Shark SS shave 3
1 day growth

Razor: 66 Slim on 6
Pre: Warm shower with Kurt's Castile unscented.
Soap: ARKO stick
Brush: 26mm Yaqi Timberwolf synthetic
After: Old Spice

Today I'm back to the stinky stick. It's not as good of a shark repellant as Tabac, but it kept the biting at bay. 3 passes has me Baby Seal Smooth with no drama. This is what a shave should be like.

thumbnail_IMG_1285.jpg

Top Bottom