What's new

Arko August 2022

August ArkO-logical review, Day 5

View attachment 1499799

Gilette King razor
Feather blade
Shavemac Beagle brush
Arko stick

I have not used the same soap 5 days in a row since I started wet shaving. It's just another milestone.
Today I rubbed the soap stick on my face and used the brush to work it in. Feather blades are in my top 3 favorites and the King razor is always a performer.

Good Day To All!
Arko-logical! 🤣
Nice!! 🙌🏼

Dang, really wish I’d have gotten there first though! 😂🤦🏻‍♂️🖖🏼

Friday, August 5th- ARKO/Boarko on the down low (shave #4)- a two-pass shave, one tiny weeper that closed quickly; I'll score it DFS, 9/10:

Razor: Gillette Slim set on 5- picked this very used razor up for $10 in Brooklyn and it shaves fine; can't remember how long it's been since I used a Slim
Blade: Bic Chrome Platinum (4)- still okay
Lather: ARKO stick- nice enough lather
Brush: Zenith 506 unbleached- I've been breaking it in and after a couple of weeks this brush is almost as nice as my Omega Jade in use; wonder how long it will stay that way?
Post: rinse, then Anthony's ASB, my face is nice and soothed by this slightly mentholated balm

Have yourselves a great weekend!

PXL_20220805_165021099.MP_2.jpg

Let's do a little check-in, shall we?

Arko August 2022 Participants List

Arko Gung-ho (all Arko, all August)
:a20:

1. @FoolishMortal
  2. @steveclarkus
  3. @Multum in parvo
  4. @Big_T
  5. @RumpleBearskin
  6. @DalShaver
  7. @ajkel64
  8. @bluesman 7
  9. @InkStainedWretch
  10. @bdehne
  11. @Egmont
  12. @alla2465
  13. @uberbey
  14. @Draig
  15. @Yura_
  16. @Arbor Man
  17. @Steve56 (unless he's not)
  18. @JayFromBrooklyn
  19. @psfred
  20. @acantrel
Arko on the Down-low (some Arko, sometimes)
:shifty:

1. @RenoRichard
  2. @timetofly
  3. @Ravenonrock
  4. @Butch Waxx - ?
  5. @ewk
  6. @tjsgarden
  7. @Ted A
  8. @Kix
  9. @PRobots
  10. @shave/brush
  11. @La Malice
  12. @NorthernSoul
  13. @1Pet5_8
  14. @redrako
  15. @ChriWilson
  16. @Tom Bowman
Arko-Boarko-Loko (All Arko, plus boar brushes only) 🐷
  1. @Lee93
  2. @Messygoon
  3. @P1C0
  4. @ksblazer
  5. @BaPh96
  6. @cryhavoc
  7. @rbscebu
  8. @mgweatherly
Arko MakeItUpAsYouGoGo (your Arko, your way)
:cuppa:

1. @FarmerTan - he's 97% BoarShark
  2. @South Dakota Guy - a little Arko, a little Sharko
  3. @Vulcan Bubbles - 97%er
  4. @borwish - all Arko, some Sharko
  5. @Robbie7 - Arko-Sharko all the way
  6. @KMF79 - All the things! (Arko, Sharko, Boarko, Aventus - oh!)
  7. @Alohawyatt - It's a mystery...
  8. @JCarr - Arko-Sharko all the way
  9. @Filudo - umm...maybe?
Arko is a no-go (no Arko, no way)
:letterk2:

• Mike M

GRUME August Shave 3/16

No of Arko Shave 3

Prep : Hot shower
Preshave : None
Brush : Maggard Synthetic
Soap : Arko Stick
Razor : Merkur HD 34 C
Blade : GSB (no clue 4/5 who knows)

Well folks still in this. After all I am in the some arko boat so hard to fell off the boat.

I gotta say I do not enjoy it that much, not the smell just an overall feeling .. I applaud guys who use a boar brush, my lather are really bad with them , I must need to use more water for my face lathering.

On the plus side the use of Aqua Velva is growing on me.

Just remember that the sticks have only a 7-year use-by date from manufacturer. After then, that lovely citrus scent with floral undertones tends to start dissipating.
Dang 7 years ... this is a long time to wait to use them ... I guess just like a good wine the Arko sticks gets better after a few years of maturation ... any advice for the best way to keep them meanwhile ?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Dang 7 years ... this is a long time to wait to use them ... I guess just like a good wine the Arko sticks gets better after a few years of maturation ... any advice for the best way to keep them meanwhile ?
I believe that some keep them frozen and stored at <18°C. I have never had a need to do that as a dozen ARKO sticks only last me about 6 years.

Shark SS shaves 1 & 2
2 day growth

Razor: Simple Clean Shave razor
Pre: Warm shower with Kurt's Castile unscented.
Soap: ARKO COMFORT cream
Brush: 26mm Yaqi Timberwolf synthetic
After: none

I didn't have much time this week, so shaves 1 and 2 setups were identical. The results were pretty much identical as well. This nice sharp blade plowed right through the stubble with no problem. 3 passes made me Baby Seal Smooth with no drama. I figured as much. I had a tuck of Shark SS a year or two ago and liked them and the SCS razor preformed well with the Shark Platinum previously.

I know I'm on the verge of cheating Arko August with these Arko creams, but they are good. In fact, there's so much glycerin in them that I skip any aftershave because it's not needed. The comfort has a sort of cologne/soap scent. I definitely would wear it as an aftershave.

thumbnail_IMG_1283.jpg

For my third Arko Boarko Loko shave, I tried to recreate a shaving experience from the dawn of Arko time. I understand that the company that makes Arko was founded in 1927. With a heavy emphasis on the "Loko" part of my Arko August journey, I chose this:

PXL_20220806_133006598_exported_1121_1659795168590.jpg

This is my 1934 NEW type "Red Black" DeLuxe Special and a 1930 NEW type blade from the first quarter of production (A1=first quarter 1930). This was Gillette's first slotted DE blade. It is carbon steel. Notice that the slot is shaped differently than a modern DE blade. I crossed my fingers and stropped it before I loaded it. Well, even Arko and my Semogue 820 Boar could not save a shave with this old blade. It was impossibly dull, so I switched it out for a different vintage (but 56 years newer) Gillette Spoiler on its 4th shave. Night and day. The Spoiler rescued my shave, which ended up being a blood-free DFS+ in three passes.

To be fair, even though I took this blade from an original paper outer wrapper, the inner wrapper was missing. Also, from the looks of it in hindsight, the blade may have been a used one that just happened to be put back in its original outer wrapper. I have a bunch (like 50) of these blades, some of which are definitely NOS inside a box still wrapped with cellophane, so I will probably try this again. I might also try one of my 1930 Gillette DeLuxe Kro Man blades. They cost $0.20 per BLADE in 1930 ($2.00 for a box of 10). These were apparently Gillette's first stainless steel blade, but also were an abject failure because customers perceived them to be brittle.

Whichever blade I select, I will use my 1930 Berkshire (another Gillette NEW type) to get everything to line up on 1930. Stay tuned ;)

Last edited:
A "Down-Low" August Arko-lian Report, Day 6

PXL_20220806_142124022.PORTRAIT.jpg

Good Day Gents

Leaf razor
New 1/2 Nacet blade
Fendrihan synthetic brush
Arko and Cella soaps
Shave, 2x WTG using slide technique, DFS by my standards

Today I did a "down-low" shave by combining Arko and Cella in a bowl. The sweet almond scent of the Cella was more dominant than the "Ivory fresh" scent of Arko. I have to take into account that the Arko has been open for over a year and the Cella was recently purchased. The combined soaps make a good pair. It was the first time I mixed soaps together.

The Leaf razor is designed extremely well. It maneuvers better in tight quarters than any razor I have tried. I have another SE razor but I haven't used it in a year.

Top Bottom