What's new

Arko August 2021

You know those blokes who don’t sign up for a major sporting event, but then turn up at the start line in running shoes only to sneak off down the pub once the race starts? That’s me, that is.

Vintage Gong (Solingen) 6/8 round point straight razor
Vie Long white horse / boar mix brush
Arko stick
Arko “Gold Power” aftershave

I’d never have the willpower for soap monogamy for more than about a day. I might pop back to cheer on the runners later in the month, but you’ll probably find me down the Wickham Arms this time tomorrow.

All the best to everyone running. Have a good one.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Starting tomorrow, I will be working my way through my English matching seven-day set with ARKO.

IMG_20210801_150119.jpg

Arko August! Had an interesting shave with a new razor, a kami that takes half DE blades. Came with four Derby Professional blades. My Arko stick has 68 shaves on it.
What also made the shave interesting is that I snoozed my alarm for 15 minutes, too. Nothing like rushing to work while trying to use a new razor system. Yeah, I got a few cuts, and lots of irritation, but I blame that on myself first, and the new razor and a blade I've never used before second, lol. Maybe tomorrow will be better, as I am off from work and don't have to rush.
20210731_220123.jpg

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Arko August! Had an interesting shave with a new razor, a kami that takes half DE blades. Came with four Derby Professional blades. My Arko stick has 68 shaves on it.
What also made the shave interesting is that I snoozed my alarm for 15 minutes, too. Nothing like rushing to work while trying to use a new razor system. Yeah, I got a few cuts, and lots of irritation, but I blame that on myself first, and the new razor and a blade I've never used before second, lol. Maybe tomorrow will be better, as I am off from work and don't have to rush. View attachment 1305023
That's a neat cap for your ARKO stick. Would help keep those magnificent scents in. Where do you get them from?

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Well gents,

This was my first ever shave with Arko. Let Arko/Sharko August begin!

1627825964178.png

As you can infer from the pic I mashed my Arko stick into a shaving mug. My initial impression of the oft maligned/divisive scent is that it does have an "industrial" quality. I'll use a beer drinking analogy. I love craft beer, but I'm not so much of a beer snob/aficionado that I don't enjoy PBR or Miller Lite on occasion. Arko is like the PBR of shave soaps ;)

I have one for my stick as well. The container has a twist on the bottom that makes the soap go up and down.
I have these twist up tubes also, I believe they are 2.2 ounce size and about $2 each. I learned that the trick to getting your ARKO stick onto the plastic twist up base rod easily is to first use a meat thermometer to make a hole in the ARKO stick before trying to insert the plastic rod into the soap, as the soap is hard and the plastic rod is relatively flimsy. Once I did that, it worked fine.

Day 1! Used Arko stick, Rooney 3/1 badger, Gillette Big Fellow with a fresh Crystal blade, Marvey hard rubber mug and a bit of my own modified Thayer's rose a/s I (I combine the alcohol free Thayers with a a few drops of glycerine and bit of Aguadiente - sugar cane alcohol - that I bought in Nicaragua a few years ago). I shave in the shower, so I just peel about 1/2 an inch of paper off the end of the stick and dunk it in the brush soak water when I am starting, and by the time the brush is soaked, the Arko is soft enough to rub a bit on my face - when I hit it with a damp brush, there is an explosion of slick and cushioning lather. Simple but fantastic!

First Arko Sharko Boarko shave was pretty smooth but I ran into an unexpected problem. I usually use a synthetic brush when applying the Arko stick directly to my face, and it generates and keeps enough lather to last me 3-4 passes. With the boar, after 2 passes, there was almost nothing left in the brush. Tomorrow I’ll try a bowl lather, with some soap from the stick. If that doesn’t work, I’ll have to resort to the Arko I shaped into a puck in an old cream cheese container.

That said, even with the super thin lather of the third and fourth passes, it was still a superb shave. Made complete with Fine Platinum splash, Nivea balm and a few sprays of Montblanc Explorer. I feel good.

First Arko Sharko Boarko shave was pretty smooth but I ran into an unexpected problem. I usually use a synthetic brush when applying the Arko stick directly to my face, and it generates and keeps enough lather to last me 3-4 passes. With the boar, after 2 passes, there was almost nothing left in the brush. Tomorrow I’ll try a bowl lather, with some soap from the stick. If that doesn’t work, I’ll have to resort to the Arko I shaped into a puck in an old cream cheese container.

That said, even with the super thin lather of the third and fourth passes, it was still a superb shave. Made complete with Fine Platinum splash, Nivea balm and a few sprays of Montblanc Explorer. I feel good.
New boar?

New boar?

No, it was one of the first brushes I bought back in January/February. I even shampooed and conditioned it a couple of times. Maybe it's the lack of usage these past weeks/months? Maybe it's the way Semogue treats their boar hairs to give them that Guy Fieri look? Can the temperature and hardness of my tap water be a factor? In any case, I have a whole month to play with the variables, I'll probably figure it out :)

No, it was one of the first brushes I bought back in January/February. I even shampooed and conditioned it a couple of times. Maybe it's the lack of usage these past weeks/months? Maybe it's the way Semogue treats their boar hairs to give them that Guy Fieri look? Can the temperature and hardness of my tap water be a factor? In any case, I have a whole month to play with the variables, I'll probably figure it out :)
Semogues take much longer to break in compared to Omegas or Zeniths - at least for me…

Razor Rockwell 6S R4 plate
Blade Polsilver Stainless (4)
Brush PAA Peregrino
Soap Arko
Toner Lucky Tiger
AS Pinaud Lime Sec

Rating 10/10 BBS
Another great shave with Rockwell & Polsilver pairing. Blade remains sharp and smooth. No weepers and very little feedback with my Alum block and aftershave. I love this combo. I use both the soap stick and the puck to make my lather. I go pretty light on my face with the soap stick. Might not do many other photos as I just started All Arko August and my wife is after me to reduce my shaving gear as we need to get the house ready for photos and viewings and eventually packing for a move. I don't anticipate my shaving gear changing much over the next while. Next shave will be the same gear with Wizamet blade.

Arko Rock.jpg

Top Bottom