What's new

Arko August 2020

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Just had my next-to-last ARKO-SHARKO August experience. Great lather once again. This was only shave #2 on Sharko SS blade #4, and I've been getting about 6 or 7 shaves per blade, so by the time I polish off the tuck we'll be well into September. I love my Simpsons, my Paladins, and my big floppy Italian boars, but I've got to put in a word for the Zenith Manchurian. I think it's about 26 or 27mm. Great backbone and scrub, it holds its own against the the big boys at less than half the price. Tremendous value. No, it isn't better than a Paladin or a Simpson 2 band or Manchurian, but it isn't as far off as the difference in price might lead you to believe. I've never used a Zenith silvertip or any of their other badger grades, but the Manchurian is really outstanding. An altogether satisfying shaving experience. I finished up with some St John's Lime after shave.

Twenty-fourth use in August:

Preshave: Hot washcloth, H&B Vitamin E oil
Soap: Arko, bowl-lathered
Brush: Cheap Men-U boar
Razors:
GC.84, Astra SP #10
GC.68, P74 #20
Post-shave: Nivea Balm, Brut AS

Dual Game Changers again, and got a DFS. Time for a fresh Astra SP. That Personna 74 (my excalibur project) is still OK, but I will park it, and use something else for a change.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
61825D0D-E400-4980-A666-858FB09EEB7C.jpeg

Still Arko. Still pucked. Still a great soap.

Kit: Fatip Piccolo, Derby Premium (2) , Arko, Omega S10083 S-Brush Pro.

Shaved away from home at an unfamiliar cramped sink. Everything went wrong as a result of colliding with things, tap getting in the way of my hands and face and generally feeling that I was trying to shave inside a padlocked box. Arko did its best, but no - this shave was a nightmare.

Kit: Fatip Piccolo, Derby Premium (2) , Arko, Omega S10083 S-Brush Pro.

Shaved away from home at an unfamiliar cramped sink. Everything went wrong as a result of colliding with things, tap getting in the way of my hands and face and generally feeling that I was trying to shave inside a padlocked box. Arko did its best, but no - this shave was a nightmare.
But the next time things click it’s gonna be great! 👍

30/Arko/2020 - Arko August shave #26
PXL_20200830_163437775-01.jpeg

Joseph Smith near wedge
Arko stick (pucked and face lathered)
Mojo Handcrafts
TOBS Eaton College

Lovely shave despite constant interruptions from the Instacart grocery shopper. Made me think about how we love our shaving solitude, but for the majority of history I assume it was performed in and amongst the normal hustle, bustle, and flow of the day. I like the solitude version better...

One more Arko August shave to go ...

Sunday- my 30th Arko shave of August- the penultimate shave for the month!

Today's shave was a two pass with a bit of cleanup near BBS, great result- 9.9/10
Soap: Arko stick
Brush: Connaught Omega Jade Boar (COJ)
- #011842- starting to feel a little broken in, but still some time to go.
Razor: Feather DX- this razor seems to have bit more blade exposure than the Kai Captain AC, first pass was just a hair closer.
Blade: Schick Proline P-30 (3) best shave yet on this blade.
AS: Sanborns Roble y Agave- this is an oak + agave colonia/splash that I like for summer. It's an inexpensive Mexican drug store souvenir from a trip down south.

IMG_20200830_112646.jpg

I have wound up using badger and synthetics and my Mistura a lot during the second half of the month, including my Shavemac 2-band silvertip today. The lathers have been great, but I think it's only fitting that I close out the month tomorrow with a boar. So the question is, which one: Semogue 1250 or Omega 10005?

Day 30:

Gillette Heritage Reissue
Polsilver SI
Simpson’s #46 in Pure
ARKO
Dickinson’s Witch Hazel
Pinaud VIBR

Today was the penultimate shave in ARKO August. I face lathered with an ARKO stick in a West Coast Shaving Twist-up tube. I got an exceptionally smooth three pass BBS, partially due to the Polsilver blade. I also managed to use the last of the Pinaud Bay Rum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arko Aug 30th is in the books! Epic slickness from the stick. That’s the bottom line really. You just can’t go wrong with this guy👍

Today’s shave was with: Arko stick, Omega 10049 boar, ‘65 Gillette SS with a Derby Extra blade and capped it off with some Aqua Velva. Shave on folks!

36414653-6E8D-4C30-A6CE-C3879EDB2D15.jpeg
D52AFEB4-FD50-4C16-B5E5-B5356AB2E00C.jpeg
CA14AAC8-9725-46A6-840F-E8E46BC70C17.jpeg

Top Bottom