What's new

Arko August 2020

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Sun 23 Arko SOTD
Soap Arko Stick
Brush Yaqi 28mm Synthetic
Razor Gillette British RFB #88
Blade Tatra Platinum 4th (Wizamet Iridium 7th)
Post & Aftershave
Ice Water + Special Thayers Mix
Hyaluronic + Polo EDT
Super lather from Arko. Thick creamy and slick. Scent is unique and I think is an acquired taste/smell...hahaha
Shave with razor paired with Tatra felt a lot of tugging and skipping for 1st WTG pass. Realized something wrong with the blade (was used on a travel trip, perhaps the edge was damaged) so immediately stop and replaced with nearest available blade which was the Wizamet on 7th use. Whoooaaa...can feel the difference as night and day, soooo much smoother and soooo much more comfortable. Very efficiently cut through all the stubbles without skipping nor tugging. 3+1 multiple direction passes with BBS results. 3 weepers because tried a new angle. All weepers stopped by icy water rinse then Thayers followed by Hyaluronic and EDT. Good shave once the blade was replaced. Rating 9/10
View attachment 1143942
View attachment 1143943
FOLKS! this here is a man who knows how to properly respect the care and feeding of the ARKO MAN! Doggone went and hermetically sealed him right in!

FarmerTan

I really had the urge to break out a big boar and some green Proraso cream this morning. I don't think I've ever craved a shaving cream before. But I resisted, and instead laid down one more excellent Arko-Sharko shave. I kept the big boar out to use, however, and I used Proraso green balm to finish up.
You gotta stay strong my friend, and Arko-Sharko brother from another mother!

Day 23:
Baili BD177 Razor
Gillette Platinum blade
Simpsons #46 in Pure
ARKO
Dickinson’s Witch Hazel
Pinaud VIBR

I bought the Baili as a travel razor. I figured that it was inexpensive enough and available enough that if it got lost or damaged it would be no great loss. It has been sitting, unused, since February. I had forgotten what a good razor it is when paired with a good blade. And it doesn’t look half bad either.

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FarmerTan

Day 23:
Baili BD177 Razor
Gillette Platinum blade
Simpsons #46 in Pure
ARKO
Dickinson’s Witch Hazel
Pinaud VIBR

I bought the Baili as a travel razor. I figured that it was inexpensive enough and available enough that if it got lost or damaged it would be no great loss. It has been sitting, unused, since February. I had forgotten what a good razor it is when paired with a good blade. And it doesn’t look half bad either.

proxy.php

Yep, that razor deserves more respect. How do you think that Platinum blade compares to the GSB?

Yep, that razor deserves more respect. How do you think that Platinum blade compares to the GSB?

My top four blades are, in order of fondness:

Polsilver SI
Gillette Platinum
Gillette Silver Blue
Astra SP

Now, for me, the Polsilver SI is the best blade I have ever used, by far. The Platinum, GSB and Astra are all bunched together. The Plat is a bit more smooth than the GSB or the SP but, honestly, it is six of one, half dozen of the other on those three blades for me. The Astra SP is my go to blade because of the cost per blade. As always, YMMV.

And does the Baili have the “cachet” of my 1961 Slim Aristocrat? No. But it does deliver a very good shave as does its chrome plated brother.

8/23/20- my 23rd Arko shave of August- still on track :001_smile .

I used a replaceable blade straight today.

Today's shave was a solid 9.8 BBS-, super close, and smooth result, with one neck nick from an overly ambitious stroke.

Soap:
Arko stick
Brush: Simpsons Chubby 1 in best
Razor:
Kai Captain AC straight
Blade: Feather Professional-
way nicer for me than the Kai Sharpblade I tried yesterday.
Aftershave: Captain's Choice Venture- again left my face feeling great once it dried and had just the right amount of alcohol burn when applying.
Fragrance: L'Aventure- EDP by Al Haramain- this has really nice staying power on me; lasts the whole day.
IMG_20200823_104603.jpg

No pic today, but the Rockwell 6S Review thread has been updated with my final impressions.

SOTD
  • Rockwell 6S (4)
  • Nacet (7)
  • Arko for August (in a re-used tub)
  • Yaqi 24mm Badger
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling Spice ASB
  • Vintage Avon Bay Rum AS
I needed a quick shave - I thought I would skip, but squeezed it in - so I did just one pass plus touch-ups on the neck. Arko came together quickly and while I didn't work the lather for long, it was slick enough to do the job. Some of my touch-up work was water-only, and the residual slickness was plenty!

Shave 10 in the books. Arko puck, 6C razor, Wilkinson Sword Saloon pack blade (3rd use), witch hazel and Aqua Velva.

It's been a good experience using Arko every couple days and having no choice but to improve my shaving technique to get the best the soap has to offer. It will never be one of my favorites, but I see how it can grow on you.

Arko is like the family station wagon! It delivers the groceries, but you never brag how you arrived!

I know you’re eyeing your other soaps. Maybe twisting open some lids, taking some whiffs of your favorite soaps. But remember centurion, your on a mission. So just pause, recenter, and let the Arko man show you the way.

Sure you love that other stick that smells like gramma’s purse, or that other one Don Quixote used to fight his windmills, but look the Arko man in the eyes and tell him he doesn’t deliver a slick, unpretentious, world-class lather at an affordable price. You can’t right?

And so for those of is who are now on day 23 of shaving exclusively with Arko, we know this exercise has been liberating by letting us dial in the nuances of one fine product. So stand up and give that Arko man a high five! Go Arko!

Today’s Arko appreciation consisted of a Merkur 25c razor with a Gillette 7 O’Click Sharp Edge and a Yaqi 24mm Black Marble synthetic. Shave on fine people!

EA624A21-A6F6-407F-B422-416278DDA733.jpeg
21340C77-25C5-4605-9213-2573CD255B3F.jpeg

24/8/20

Brush - Omega 11819 (24mm/55mm)
Soap - Arko Puck
Razor - Yaqi Old Type
Blade - Gillette Nacet (5)
Post - Witch Hazel
Balm - Nivea Cooling Kick
Splash - Signature Soaps Danum Patchouli Splash

I've said it many times before but my humble Omega 11819 which has the same knot as the 10066, is clearly my favourite brush even if it is a bit of an occasional shedder (3 lost today), as it's got incredibly soft tips, with just enough scrub, it loads soap a delight and the length of the loft seems to be in the sweet spot as well for having enough flexibility without being floppy. Produced a delightful lather with Arko today, slick and thick.
I presume Yaqi also make their Old Type clone for Razorock and I'd been using my 1920's OT for the last few days and it was interesting to compare both razors, the Yaqi OT Clone is a touch more efficient than the original, but not as smooth, it reminded me why I don't really use the Yaqi OT that much.
A good shave in the end though, finished it with some Signature Soaps Patchouli splash, which really feels great on the skin.

Shave: 16 & 17
August 23 & 24 2020
Soap: ARKO stick in a repurposed deodorant..
Razor: Fatip Piccolo OC
Blade: Sharko platinum (4-5)
Brush: Omaga 49
Aftershave: Water
Gota save that Arko scent :letterk1:. Just joking around there. I can tolerate it. But not my favorite.
2 pass some touch up DFS.​
My neck stops the BBS. I'm a skinny guy. I think that if I were chubby, it would be easier to shave.

August is in its last week and I have used nothing but Arko stick, and a few times Arko Cool shaving cream, for the whole month.
I have had no problem at all, no skin irritation, no problem what so ever with the scent (wich I love).
But I can honestly say I have missed my usual soap rotation.
I also love my soaps from Proraso, Rasozero, Benjamin Barber, Palmolive and more.

I wonder if one should combine Slantember with another soap?
Like Slantember with Proraso Green?

Top Bottom