Hak.1963
Alohawyatt
Azwetshaver
Borderite
sternej
ponykilr
1959tony
epipeman

Arko whole-hog (once a category of one, now twice the size)
Owen Bawn
Yukonmark

Arko on the down-low (some Arko, sometimes)
Smooth and Sharp
ChiefHA
Jmp63
Leo501
sternej
Messygoon
Ravenonrock
Chard52142
Roedeer
esoteric
RenoRichard
Starsky
redrako
Ad Astra
Flintstone65
fightingillini22
Chef455
MickeyFinn
Soxfan4life
Cool Shave Luke
zoidberg
Tanuki
RumpleBearskin
sdimartino

Arko is a no-go (no Arko, no way)
RayClem
HarryAU570
lancre

Arko in Limbo (maybe?)
IMightBeWrong
Ascet

Many thanks!

I had a great Arko shave today with the following:

Kit: Fatip Piccolo, Derby Premium (8) , Arko, Omega S10083 S-Brush Pro

The Premium is working very well with the Arko - all eight shaves have been at least DFS.

How does cold water shaving work? All my life the general consensus has been that you have to use hot water or risk getting tons of nicks and weepers.
You can use hotter water during the prep phase, and cool (or lukewarm) water for the actual shaving. Warmer water is usually easier to use when making a lather, also.

Hotter water will help soften the whiskers faster, especially in combination with a pre-shave or mild soap. However, hotter water will dilate the blood vessels in the skin, that brings more blood to the skin surface, and makes the skin more prone to irritation.

If you use cool (or lukewarm) water to do the actual shaving, you may be less prone to irritation. Note we are not talking about water with ice cubes in it, just room temperature or slightly cooler water can make a difference.

Day 16:

1961 G4 Slim Adjustable
King C. Gillette blade
Simpson’s #46 in Pure
ARKO
Dickinson’s Witch Hazel
Pinaud VIBR

This week I will be giving the Omega 10049 a rest and I will be shaving with my G3 Slim Aristocrat’s stable mate. After a long conversation with the ARKO man, I am beginning to wonder why I have other soaps and creams. The VIBR will be the standard after shave until I run out and then, who knows? Aqua Velva? Whiskey Woods? Gent’s Gin? English Leather? 4711?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arko August- 16th shave

Since I'm in everyday so far, @FoolishMortal would you switch me from down low to gung ho?

Lovely two-pass, near BBS shave:

Razor: Gem Made in England- not sure which model, but it has an aluminum handle; Gem PTFE (1)-
Amazingly smooth shave today with this razor
Soap: Arko stick- This little stick gave again today.
Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia synthetic- Fourth use of this brush; got much better lather today by adding water through dipping.
AS: Just a splash of Thayers

0816201108.jpg

Woo hoo, I managed to shave before noon! The Tabac v Arko Shave Down showdown.

Prep: shower
Razor: RazoRock GC-OC84, with my other Tibam Ti handle, a pineapple knurl. Grippy!
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux (1)
The challenger: Tabac, green Omega 10065, hybrid lather - face and Captain's Choice light copper bowl
His serene highness, the champ: Arko, yellow Omega 10065, hybrid lather - with the heavy copper bowl
After: alum, Captain's Choice Land Ho! AS

6C4B742B-B3D3-4EA2-9475-79831884816B.jpeg

I went with hot water, for Science. The ratings:
Scent - Arko 10, Tabac 6.2
Noise suppression - Arko 10, Tabac 7.1
Slick - Arko 10, Tabac 8.3
Cushion - ok, I don't really know what this means
Density - Arko 10, Tabac 9.2
Package artistic impression - Arko 10, Tabac a tastefully boring 5.0
Cost effectiveness - Arko 11, Tabac 1.7

I think were going to have to give the gold to Arko.

Well, gentlemen, I done messed up. I used Proraso Green today. The thing is, it’s been hot around these here parts the last few days. Damn hot. And I don’t have AC. It was 90 degrees F in my house this morning when I went to shave. I wasn’t about to use a soap that doesn’t have menthol in it. Sorry/not sorry.

I feel I’ve let my Gung Ho brothers down, and I’m willing to take whatever punishment I have coming. Blanket party, tar and feather, keelhaul, whatever.

Let me have it, boys.

My cheat code is using a mentholated prep. My current preferred method is to face lather with a mentholated soap, wash it off. Then I repeat with whatever amount still remains in the brush, once or twice.

I expect Proraso Green would work very well as a pre-shave with this approach. I'm using mentholated Col Conk in a tube, but I will give my Proraso Green tub a test. And shave with Arko, even though I'm down low.

Meantime, I vote keelhaul. Maybe the captain will mercifully have the barnacles shaved off before your trip underwater.

Arko Gung-ho (all Arko, all August)
FoolishMortal
Cphobes
Brian C.
alla2465
bjm
psfred
bluesman 7

ksblazer
fast shaver
Chandu
MrBeez
Ace the Masta
FarmerTan
ajkel64
Sotiris_A
Billski

gsurko
Southern_S
Ted A
mph14205
mio_cuggino
TBoner
tbhoff
doug1066
Acmemfg
Rosseforp
BigD
Hak.1963
Alohawyatt
Azwetshaver
Borderite
sternej
ponykilr
1959tony
epipeman
RenoRichard

Owen Bawn
Yukonmark

Smooth and Sharp
ChiefHA
Jmp63
Leo501
sternej
Messygoon
Ravenonrock
Chard52142
Roedeer
esoteric

Starsky
redrako
Ad Astra
Flintstone65
fightingillini22
Chef455
MickeyFinn
Soxfan4life
Cool Shave Luke
zoidberg
Tanuki
RumpleBearskin
sdimartino

RayClem
HarryAU570
lancre

Arko in Limbo (maybe?)
IMightBeWrong
Ascet

I have shaved with both hot/warm lather and cold lather. I just finished a week with cold lather due to breaking my scuttle and waiting for my G12 to arrive.

I definitely prefer warm lather in all seasons. It may just be me, but it seemed the lather was different between the two. It was thicker cold but slicker warm. The warm lather seems to make the wire on my face easier to cut as well as I get a lot less feedback from the warm lather. Just another case of YMMV.

BOSC;AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;WISE;CoA;SASA;FOCS Lover

Arko Gung-ho (all Arko, all August)
FoolishMortal
Cphobes
Brian C.
alla2465
bjm
psfred
bluesman 7
ksblazer
fast shaver
Chandu
MrBeez
Ace the Masta
FarmerTan
ajkel64
Sotiris_A
Billski
gsurko
Southern_S
Ted A
mph14205
mio_cuggino
TBoner
tbhoff
doug1066
Acmemfg
Rosseforp
BigD
Hak.1963
Alohawyatt
Azwetshaver
Borderite
sternej
ponykilr
1959tony
epipeman
RenoRichard

Owen Bawn
Yukonmark

Arko 97%, yo (all Arko, minus a brief dalliance)
RumpleBearskin
sdimartino

Smooth and Sharp
ChiefHA
Jmp63
Leo501
sternej
Messygoon
Ravenonrock
Chard52142
Roedeer
esoteric
Starsky
redrako
Ad Astra
Flintstone65
fightingillini22
Chef455
MickeyFinn
Soxfan4life
Cool Shave Luke
zoidberg
Tanuki

RayClem
HarryAU570
lancre

Arko in Limbo (maybe?)
IMightBeWrong
Ascet

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I know what you mean, the heat is not good...
Here, on the west coast of Sweden we have had between 83 and 85 degrees F (in the shadow) the last few days and I just hate the warmth and the sun...
But, I have started with cold water shaving and I don't feel the need for menthol, I just rinse continously with cold water on my face and on my razor.

Today was a very nice and cold shave, Arko stick, Fatip Grande OC and Lord Platinum.
For AS I used LEA balm with menthol.
Hey! How many months of cold weather do you folks get? Here in Michigan we get 6 or 7 months of winter and 5 or 6 of summer.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
You can use hotter water during the prep phase, and cool (or lukewarm) water for the actual shaving. Warmer water is usually easier to use when making a lather, also.

Hotter water will help soften the whiskers faster, especially in combination with a pre-shave or mild soap. However, hotter water will dilate the blood vessels in the skin, that brings more blood to the skin surface, and makes the skin more prone to irritation.

If you use cool (or lukewarm) water to do the actual shaving, you may be less prone to irritation. Note we are not talking about water with ice cubes in it, just room temperature or slightly cooler water can make a difference.
This is pretty much what I do, soften the hairs on my incredibly handsome face with as warm as I can stand the wash cloth, for at least 90ish seconds, then usually face lather and then use cool water for the rinsing of the razor throughout the shave.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Sorry, lads. I was called away for a few days, but I've been faithful to ARKO SHARKO WHOLE HOG LIVE ACTION! the whole time. I've been using an Arko stick, a Simpson Classic 1 synthetic, a Shark SS in a Merkur bakelite razor, and some Myrsol Formula C. First use of the travel kit since Christmas. I've lived here 15 years and it still doesn't feel like home, but as I pulled in the driveway this evening it felt great to be back here.

I'm too tired to shave, and my work day tomorrow is essentially just a 2 hour 'Zoom' meeting that begins at 10, so I'll Arko and Sharko when I get up in the morning.

That's interesting. I have used hot water throughout, but your argument makes sense, and I will try preparing with a hot washcloth, but shaving with cooler water.

Fourteenth use in August:

Preshave: Hot washcloth, Nuage oil
Soap: Arko, bowl-lathered
Brush: Cheap Men-U boar
Razor: GC .68
Blade: Personna (made in Germany) #4
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase lotion.

As usual, Arko generated more lather than I could use up. Using a preshave oil got me a DFS without any post-shave irritation.

Soon I will have an .84 to try, postage permitting, but results are already very good.

Omega 10066 for the brush today; the rest remains the same, including the great shaves.

Interestingly, using one soap, one razor, and one aftershave has helped me narrow the brush field again. I had picked up all of these Semogues, and now I'm back down to my Shavemac 2-band silvertip, my Omega 10005, my Rudy Vey Muehle synthetic, and my Semogue Mistura. Maybe the 1250 will get to stay, but I doubt it. These four are just that bit better.

Top Bottom