What's new

Arko August 2020

Kicking off August with a nice Arko shave. Performance is top notch as always. Been years since I've shaved with it and the scent, while artificial, isn't something I find off-putting at all. Reminds me of the soap we used to have in my grammar school bathrooms.

Saturday August 1st, 2020
Razor : '52 Gillette Bakelite Tech
Blade : GSB
Brush : Rudy Vey Plisson
Soap : Arko

IMG_20200801_104033_244.jpg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Kicking off August with a nice Arko shave. Performance is top notch as always. Been years since I've shaved with it and the scent, while artificial, isn't something I find off-putting at all. Reminds me of the soap we used to have in my grammar school bathrooms.

Saturday August 1st, 2020
Razor : '52 Gillette Bakelite Tech
Blade : GSB
Brush : Rudy Vey Plisson
Soap : Arko

View attachment 1133473
Love how you you used the smiley Arko Man there
Arko shave this A.M. Tools: Arko Tub, EJ DE89, Dorco Titan blade And a Plissoft brush. Got a very nice close shave. Arko was protective & no nicks or irritation. I don't want to boor everyone with my mundane shaves so I will post my Arko shaves every 7 days.
You won't be boring us! That's MY job!
Razor: RazoRock Gamechanger 0.84 Ikon handle.
Blade: Astra Super Stainless (3).
Soap: Arko Stick.
Brush: Omega 10065 blue boar.
Aftershave splash: RazoRock Aftershaving Splash.
Real Shaving Co. Post shave moisturizing smoothing balm.

Arko August shave Number 1 in the books. As expected an easy, slick lather face lathered from the stick. Astra Stainless makes for a fine shave in the RR Gamechanger 0.84 and the old Omega boar feels good on the face.

Surprisingly the Arko stick is well lover five years old and has lost most of it's scent. I realize that some don't care for the scent of Arko shave soap, but I always enjoyed it. Like Tabac, I associate it with making a fine lather

Looking back at my shave records, I haven't used since May 18, 2018. I was really surprised, as it was a regular part of my rotation for many years. Yet I know that since 2008 I have bought 2-12 box packs and only have a few sticks left., so I must have used more Arko than I remember.

View attachment 1133418
Perhaps you PIFFED some?

Today's shave was very pleasant- 9.4/10

Soap: Arko
shave stick
Razor: Koraat 14.2 straight
Brush: Yaqi 24mm badger
AS: Vintage Avon Wild Country

Arko performed fine with a fine face lather; enough for a two pass shave and touch up. I gave the Arko a go yesterday to make sure I would get a lather good for a straight razor shave. It didn't disappoint.

Today's shave was very pleasant- 9.4/10

Soap: Arko
shave stick
Razor: Koraat 14.2 straight
Brush: Yaqi 24mm badger
AS: Vintage Avon Wild Country

Arko performed fine with a fine face lather; enough for a two pass shave and touch up. I gave the Arko a go yesterday to make sure I would get a lather good for a straight razor shave. It didn't disappoint.

Love Avon Wild Country. To me it's what Clubman should be.

Unexpected weekend trip to see an ailing family member, so I'm lathering with a 23mm synth (Muehle) and shaving with an EJ DE89 Barley. No pics, sorry.

The lather and shave were great. I found the scent not even as strong as I recall (and very pleasant, of course), while the lather was denser than I remember. I'm sure it'll get better as I rediscover the sweet spot and use brushes I like even more. Nevertheless, a great start to Arko August.

Unexpected weekend trip to see an ailing family member, so I'm lathering with a 23mm synth (Muehle) and shaving with an EJ DE89 Barley. No pics, sorry.

The lather and shave were great. I found the scent not even as strong as I recall (and very pleasant, of course), while the lather was denser than I remember. I'm sure it'll get better as I rediscover the sweet spot and use brushes I like even more. Nevertheless, a great start to Arko August.
Wishing the best for you ailing family member!

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
ARKO AUGUST SHAVE #2.
70s Super Speed
GSB (7)
Simpsons M7 synthetic
Arko, pressed in a mug
Mennen Afta

Just completed my second Arko August shave. I took a little less than 1/2 a new stick, broke it off, then flattened it and mashed it into a mug, covering a Williams puck that's been in there a while. I figured having some in a mug would provide a little variation in the daily Arko routine. I've used Arko on and off for 10 years, maybe more, but until today I always used the stick either directly on my face or on the tips of a wet brush, so using the mug today was a new adventure. The M7 synthetic made the soap explode into a mountain of pure white lather. Three passes, which is rare for me. Finished with some Mennen Afta. The world's cheapest soap calls for the world's cheapest balm!

Arko August! Whole Hog! Live Action!

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Arko August 1, 2020
m
Started off with a great Arko August -- a 3-pass DFS+!!! I have repackaged my Arko in a convenient container and lathered it with a Yaqi Familia Sagrada 24mm....and the razor was the Lady Eversharp (a little nod to the upcoming SEptember/Schicktember :001_smile )!!!

proxy.php
proxy.php

Arko Gung-ho (all Arko, all August)
FoolishMortal
Cphobes
Brian C.
alla2465
bjm
psfred
bluesman 7
RumpleBearskin
ksblazer
fast shaver
Chandu
MrBeez
Ace the Masta
FarmerTan
ajkel64
Sotiris_A
Billski
sdimartino
gsurko
Southern_S
Ted A
mph14205
mio_cuggino
TBoner
tbhoff
doug1066
Acmemfg
Rosseforp
BigD
Hak.1963
Alohawyatt
Azwetshaver
Borderite
sternej

Arko whole-hog (once a category of one, now twice the size)
Owen Bawn
Yukonmark

Arko on the down-low (some Arko, sometimes)
Smooth and Sharp
ChiefHA
Jmp63
Leo501
sternej
Messygoon
Ravenonrock
Chard52142
Roedeer
esoteric
RenoRichard
Starsky
redrako
Ad Astra
Flintstone65
fightingillini22

Arko is a no-go (no Arko, no way)
RayClem
HarryAU570
lancre

Arko in Limbo (maybe?)
IMightBeWrong
Ascet

SOTD
  • Fat Handle Tech
  • Nacet (1)
  • Arko for August
  • Stirling Two-Band Synthetic
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling Bay Rum ASB
  • Vintage Osage Rub AS
First shave with this Tech, which I've had for a long time. I only kept it (from one of my Passaround boxes) for the handle, which I used on the Old Type head I have.

I have since switched to using a ball-end Tech handle, so I figured I would give this (complete) razor a go; if it didn't work for me, I would simply trade it. And...the results were quite nice! It seems to be a keeper, at least after the first go.

I find that the brush makes nice lather, but it's a bit springy. I'm hoping that it will lose a bit of the springiness with a month's use. Chances are slim, I know, but I have to try! Otherwise, it will get traded.

IMG_0158.jpg
IMG_0157.jpg

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Well on August 1st for sure! But no chilly soaps in the dog days? I'm afraid I'm down low.

Arko Gung-ho (all Arko, all August)
FoolishMortal
Cphobes
Brian C.
alla2465
bjm
psfred
bluesman 7
RumpleBearskin
ksblazer
fast shaver
Chandu
MrBeez
Ace the Masta
FarmerTan
ajkel64
Sotiris_A
Billski
sdimartino
gsurko
Southern_S
Ted A
mph14205
mio_cuggino
TBoner
tbhoff
doug1066
Acmemfg
Rosseforp
BigD
Hak.1963
Alohawyatt
Azwetshaver
Borderite
sternej

Arko whole-hog (once a category of one, now twice the size)
Owen Bawn
Yukonmark

Arko on the down-low (some Arko, sometimes)
Smooth and Sharp
ChiefHA
Jmp63
Leo501
sternej
Messygoon
Ravenonrock
Chard52142
Roedeer
esoteric
RenoRichard
Starsky