What's new

Arko August 2020

But other soaps and creams I have to use too.

I've solved this one out of necessity.

Having recently brought a crock of MWF to life, and knowing how it exacts vengeance on those that only use it occasionally, I have decided to lather and shave with Arko daily. But I'll also build a MWF lather a couple of times a week. I promise, lathering only. No shaving with Da Fat during August.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
It looks like there's interest in another Arko August (mostly from the Arkolytes, but it is what it is ;)), so I'm hosting the thread again. I learned a ton about how to get the best shaves I can from Arko and really enjoyed those shaves. Arko may be cheap, but it's a top performer, so it's definitely a "high-value" soap!

I don't have the discipline to 3017 a soap, but I can use one for a month. In my quest to actually use up the soaps I have, that's my M.O. - one month, one soap - and August is for Arko.

If you want to join me, just post here (or don't). Even if you just want to use Arko in August rather than for August, feel free to add a SOTD post.

I'm posting this now so that you'll have time to order some Arko and receive it in time, or let your Arko "air out" before use, or grate it and soak it in some aftershave in preparation for the month. Heck, you might do all three. Whatever the case, I'll see you in August!

As I did last year, I'm organizing participants based on how much they plan to use Arko during the month. The categories and participants were:

Arko Gung-ho (all Arko, all August)
@FoolishMortal
@FarmerTan
@mawashi
@Cphobes
@SpudWrench
@James Darmody
@bluesman 7
@bjm
@jj_sharp
@Gaznix
@fast shaver
@meanpr
@Brian C.
@Billy T.
@ajkel64
@PeteVK
@Squirrel
@RumpleBearskin
@MrMoJoe
@ksblazer
@helistone
@Sideways Tremolo

Arko on the down-low (some Arko, sometimes)
@Wtd1911
@ftrez
@Rosseforp
@Whilliam
@shave/brush
@Ted A
@Namkcakram
@EB Newfarm
@cyclingsteveb
@psfred
@ftrez
@Haggises
@BudgetShaverGuy
@JayFromBrooklyn
@Kealon7
@Legacoid
@Rustynail
@Deacon Frank
@Beakerz
@OhioBob
@rreynoso
@NeroAquil (inactive/deleted?)
@naughtilu (inactive/deleted?)
@Badkarma
@MrBeez
@Sotiris_A
@Basil
@texas_gaming

Arko is a no-go (no Arko, no way)
HarryAU570
RayClem

Arko in Limbo (maybe?)
@Goatlips

I'll start the list in the next post. Feel free to self-select, or just post your intended usage level and I can maintain the list.

Let's Arko!
Arko on the down low. Looking forward to August.

I've solved this one out of necessity.

Having recently brought a crock of MWF to life, and knowing how it exacts vengeance on those that only use it occasionally, I have decided to lather and shave with Arko daily. But I'll also build a MWF lather a couple of times a week. I promise, lathering only. No shaving with Da Fat during August.
The Arko man finds this totally acceptable. He understands that we must swirl our brush elsewhere every now and then. And he is a patient man - knowing that eventually we will return and proudly display him on our sinks as we achieve shave-lather bliss with The Arko.

Last edited:
We need to get @HarryAU570 and @RayClem in here, at least in the category of "Arko in Limbo?"

Sorry, I cannot do it. Arko leaves my face horribly irritated, tight and dry after the shave. I do not know whether it is the soap itself or the scent ingredients: Amyl Cinnamal, Citronellol, Geraniol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool. I can use it for a single shave, but after an entire month of Arko, I might need skin grafts.

Wow, this list is exploding like perfectly-hydrated Arko lather!

FoolishMortal
Cphobes
Brian C.
alla2465
bjm
psfred
bluesman 7
RumpleBearskin
ksblazer
fast shaver
Chandu
MrBeez
Ace the Masta
FarmerTan
ajkel64
Sotiris_A
Billski
sdimartino
gsurko
Southern_S
Ted A

Smooth and Sharp
ChiefHA
Jmp63
Leo501
sternej
Messygoon
Ravenonrock
Chard52142

RayClem

Arko in Limbo (maybe?)
IMightBeWrong

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Sorry, I cannot do it. Arko leaves my face horribly irritated, tight and dry after the shave. I do not know whether it is the soap itself or the scent ingredients: Amyl Cinnamal, Citronellol, Geraniol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool. I can use it for a single shave, but after an entire month of Arko, I might need skin grafts.
Ok, we'll put you on "injured reserve" in case that strange fellow @HarryAU570 decides to join us. If he cain't then all is lost!!!

I grated my long-neglected Arko stick, and pressed about ½ an inch of the fragments into a red plastic food tub.

The return to DE has been good, but trying to use traditional soaps, not so much. I think it might be face-lathering, rather than soap, that's the problem.

Anyway, I've had two Arko shaves in a row by bowl-lathering from my improvised puck, and painting the lather on, and might be going to get away with it.

It felt like it shaved me closer than canned product, which is an incentive to master it, so:

Smooth and Sharp
ChiefHA
Jmp63
Leo501
sternej
Messygoon
Ravenonrock
Chard52142
Roedeer

PS, I don't mind the scent, and mine was already well aired...

FoolishMortal
Cphobes
Brian C.
alla2465
bjm
psfred
bluesman 7
RumpleBearskin
ksblazer
fast shaver
Chandu
MrBeez
Ace the Masta
FarmerTan
ajkel64
Sotiris_A
Billski
sdimartino
gsurko
Southern_S
Ted A

Smooth and Sharp
ChiefHA
Jmp63
Leo501
sternej
Messygoon
Ravenonrock
Chard52142
Roedeer
esoteric

RayClem

Arko in Limbo (maybe?)
IMightBeWrong
Ascet

Arko on the down-low for me, please.

I'll give it a go for at least a few days in August. I have one partial stick on the counter with the happy fellow smiling at me daily.

Top Bottom