SOTD
  • Fat Handle Tech
  • Nacet (1)
  • Arko for August
  • Stirling Two-Band Synthetic
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling Bay Rum ASB
  • Vintage Osage Rub AS
First shave with this Tech, which I've had for a long time. I only kept it (from one of my Passaround boxes) for the handle, which I used on the Old Type head I have.

I have since switched to using a ball-end Tech handle, so I figured I would give this (complete) razor a go; if it didn't work for me, I would simply trade it. And...the results were quite nice! It seems to be a keeper, at least after the first go.

I find that the brush makes nice lather, but it's a bit springy. I'm hoping that it will lose a bit of the springiness with a month's use. Chances are slim, I know, but I have to try! Otherwise, it will get traded.

View attachment 1133710View attachment 1133711
Hey FM is that a puck in tbe bowl or did you push in some sticks?

My father did and I thought it was the silliest thing in the world. When I started shaving I avoided aftershaves for fear of being "that guy" you could smell coming from around the corner.

But over the last year I've discovered AS and find myself also slapping "vigorously"... Perhaps the "slap sting" psychologically diminishes the "splash sting"?
I thought the slap was mandatory! 😆 I use gentle slaps and then some sliding Of my hands on my face when applying after shave.

For those of us old enough didn’t all the after shave commercials in the 70s and 80s have a guy slapping on the product?

Head Shave of the Night
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

0802201038.jpg

Today's shave: 9.8/10- Excellent!

Razor: Koraat 14.2 straight
Soap: Arko stick- of course
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Aqua High Mountain Silvertip Badger
AS: Truefitt and Hill West Indian Limes Cologne

After the last few days, I've dialed the Arko stick in and the lather has been great. This stick is at least two years old, and now after sitting out open has lost the initial smell I get from these sticks. The lather left in the brush is what was left after I finished shaving :001_smile .

I waited today to see what the post-shave face feel would be with just the Arko and a cold water splash. Not bad at all, although not as rich a post-shave as some others. Awfully good for the price.

I pulled out an old bottle of Truefitt and Hill cologne from the cupboard, as I've been in a limey mood with the warm weather. Not a bad citrus scent, but probably not worth the $75 list they're charging now.

Cheers, Richard

02/Arko/2020 - Arko August #2
Classic, classic, classic.
PXL_20200802_183243961-01.jpeg

CV Heljestrand MK No. 22
Arko stick
Rick Montalvo in silvertip
Pinaud Clubman

I keep overlooking the CVH in my rotation. Definitely a mistake as she deserves a place of honor. Great shave with Arko providing stellar protection and Clubman finishing with a classic scent.

Day 2 was wonderful. The weak link is the brush. I really loved the Muehle STF v2 brushes and used them exclusively for a long time, but I haven't lathered with one since March or April, and after such a long stretch with 2-band silvertip and then boar, I'm finding the tips of this not as soft as I recall.

Anyway, really enjoying the scent again. I hope that my skin enjoys it over the long haul.

Nothing like a slow, relaxed shave. Day 2 was with the tub again. I’ve played around a lot with the soap-to-water ratio and I think I do prefer the stick in terms of how easy it is to build a lather and slickness. I’ll confirm that tomorrow when I use the stick. Anyone else seeing a difference on those two fronts?

Today I used:

Yaqi 24mm Long Handle Silvertip, ‘65 Gillette SS with an Astra Superior Stainless, followed up with some good ol’ Skin Bracer.

C916F512-22F4-41B1-B5C3-7F6E35378B2B.jpeg
BFEDEF1D-E5F0-4049-96F9-767B51BBDB9C.jpeg
682A4FAA-0394-4FE8-8578-3CE9DE5944CE.jpeg

My shave for today:

proxy.php

BOSC;AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;WISE;CoA;SASA;FOCS Lover
Is the brass elk part of your shaving routine, or is it just in there as an artistic prop?
Either way I must say I'm jealous. My pics tend to be lifeless and flat 😁
Yours looks professional and.intetesting

Is the brass elk part of your shaving routine, or is it just in there as an artistic prop?
Either way I must say I'm jealous. My pics tend to be lifeless and flat [emoji16]
Yours looks professional and.intetesting

It’s just a prop. It’s one of my wife’s old D&D figurines she found when we were cleaning out the garage.

She does my pictures a lot of the times. She likes to stay sharp on her photog skills. I actually did this one just playing around while she was doing some other pictures of my shave gear.

BOSC;AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;WISE;CoA;SASA;FOCS Lover

I have to say, I use pretty much the same aftershave daily - Lucky Tiger right now, although it has been Speick or Thayer's Superhazel for long stretches previously - but I'm feeling like a nice splash of Skin Bracer might go nicely for a few days. Maybe I'll snag a bottle tomorrow or Tuesday for a really old-school vibe.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Arko August Shave #3
70s Superspeed
GSB (8)
Simpson Duke 3 Best
ARKO
Aqua Velva

The Duke 3 loves Arko. Best is best. What lather this soap produces! However, in my experience when I have a big white Arko Man lather beard it looks great but it means my lather is too dry, and I need to add water and cut it a fair bit.

Arko August! Whole Hog! Live Action!

Mon 3 Last Island SOTD
Cream Arko Cool
Brush Yaqi 26mm Rainbow
Razor Edwin Jagger DE89L
Blade Elios Inoxidable 3rd
Aftershave Special Thayers Mix
Hyaluronic + Reuzel Wood & Spice
Enjoyed the lather for the slickness. Scent is too mild but pleasant. Shave with razor paired with the blade was very enjoyable. Ultra smooth, sharpish and extremely comfortable. The blade feels even better than 1st used. 3+1 multiple passes with absolutely no issues at all despite some odd angle pass. More to bbs than dfs. Thayers postshave was excellent for cooling then soothed by Hyaluronic and Reuzel. 9.7/10
20200803_092703.jpg

Today was my first Arko August shave.

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: Merkur Vintage
Blade: Feather Platinum
Brush: Simpson's Commodore X3 Best
Lather: Arko Stick
Aftershave: Ogallala Bay Rum, Limes, and Peppercorns

17B5CB9E-E968-469A-96CF-3100F7E610B1.jpeg

The Commodore is fast becoming my favorite brush. The combination of the vintage Merkur (no idea what the model number was on these) and a Feather Platinum blade is far and away my favorite. Combined with Arko, this was a shave for the ages.

Top Bottom