Arko August 2020

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Saturday August 1st, 2020
Razor : Carbon CX
Blade : Feather
Brush : Shavemac Badger
Soap : Arko What else?

Good shave from the Carbon today. Lots of buffing though to get close to what the Muhle R41 does. I won't lie, I'm missing the Muhle.

First use in August:

Preshave: Hot washcloth, Nuage oil
Soap: Arko, bowl-lathered
Brush: Cheap Boots boar
Razor: Rockwell 6S, R5
Blade: Israeli Personna, #8
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase lotion.

The mechanical properties of Arko are very good. It lathers up easily, is very slick, and the Rockwell delivered its usual DFS without any drama. Got a bit of a chemical sting, though.

The smell reminds me of a laundry product. This batch is already aired-out, so not very strong.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
This is what I used today:
IMG_20200801_144908339.jpg

FarmerTan

This is the blade I used last year, today I used it for the 5th use.
IMG_20200801_145226851~2.jpg
The tuck pictured was for stainless sharks. Some kind soul here gave them to me. I will use one of them if I can't make the above one last for the month!

It was an incredible shave. The aftershave, as I recall, is a weird experimental mix of vintage Avon Blend 7 and another Avon called "Backwoods" or "Outback" I can't remember, some 70's scent. If someone here were to type it I'd remember it. I also put some Orange essential oil in it. Leaves my incredibly handsome face feeling AND smelling great. My lovely wife even likes the smell!

My face is still BBS after 6 hours or so.

The brush I will tell about in my "Just like Grampa used to shave" thread.

I have decided to try and go all through out August with this setup.

When does "Shark Week" start?

I sincerely doubt I will shave every single day in August!

FarmerTan

This is the blade I used last year, today I used it for the 5th use.
View attachment 1133736
The tuck pictured was for stainless sharks. Some kind soul here gave them to me. I will use one of them if I can't make the above one last for the month!

It was an incredible shave. The aftershave, as I recall, is a weird experimental mix of vintage Avon Blend 7 and another Avon called "Backwoods" or "Outback" I can't remember, some 70's scent. If someone here were to type it I'd remember it. I also put some Orange essential oil in it. Leaves my incredibly handsome face feeling AND smelling great. My lovely wife even likes the smell!

My face is still BBS after 6 hours or so.

The brush I will tell about in my "Just like Grampa used to shave" thread.

I have decided to try and go all through out August with this setup.

When does "Shark Week" start?

I sincerely doubt I will shave every single day in August!
Oh! I forgot to add: no sharks were even seen during my shave. NOT A DROP OF BLOOD WAS SHED!

First use in August:

Preshave: shower, grapeseed oil
Soap: Arko Stick, Face lathered
Brush: Omega 49
Razor: First use of a badly abused 1952 Bakelight handled tech
Blade: Astra SP, #5
Post-shave: grapeseed oil

Love this new tech! Although the head is badly pitted, it was dirt cheap and I have decided to use it. I ended up with one of the closest shaves I've ever had, even with a blade I'm not crazy about with a few shaves on it already. I was even able to go ATG on my whole face without much irritation (which I only decide to do very occassionally due to major irritation). The grapseed oil pre and post has definitely seemed to be a good thing and seems to reduce the skin irrtation I've been getting from Arko lately.

A good start to august. Cut off a decide size chunk of my stick and smashed it into a mug this evening. I've decided Im going to try out some other lathering techniques this month.

Arko/01/2020 - Arko Shave #1
PXL_20200801_222458032-01.jpeg

Joseph Rodgers, Celebrated India Steel
Arko Stick (face lathered as a stick should be)
Heritage Collection Ever-Ready 200
Old Spice Classic

Oh, how I have missed my Arko! Not using it during July in order to better savor it's superior lather and fresh scent this month left me primed for a blissful experience today. The happy shaving guy did not disappoint. Looking forward to tomorrow (with a CVH MK No 22 in old bone)...

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Wow you are 'really' all in. What are the aftershave cream and cologne like?
The ARKO aftershave balm goes on slightly heavier than the Nivea balm I usually use, with no discernible scent. I like the way it feels. The ARKO aftershave cologne has a nice cooling feel to it, doesn't dry my skin or leave it feeling oily, the scent is pronounced with a lot of staying power. A really nice way to start the day out, a bit too much for the evening.

Shave 2
Utter perfection attained with the king of soaps and my Parker SRX SS Shavette loaded with half a Wisamet super iridium. Though I would treat myself seeing as it's Sunday 😜
Switched it up with a good splash of Brion Serbian aftershave followed by the traditional slapping of the face. No idea why I do it, but my dad always did that when he out his Old Spice on.

FarmerTan

Shave 2
Utter perfection attained with the king of soaps and my Parker SRX SS Shavette loaded with half a Wisamet super iridium. Though I would treat myself seeing as it's Sunday 😜
Switched it up with a good splash of Brion Serbian aftershave followed by the traditional slapping of the face. No idea why I do it, but my dad always did that when he out his Old Spice on.
We might have the same Father my friend!

Did he slap his face vigorously when he applied his aftershave

My father did and I thought it was the silliest thing in the world. When I started shaving I avoided aftershaves for fear of being "that guy" you could smell coming from around the corner.

But over the last year I've discovered AS and find myself also slapping "vigorously"... Perhaps the "slap sting" psychologically diminishes the "splash sting"?

Top Bottom