What's new

Arko August 2019

Good stuff, guys! No pic, but another nice shave to start my day.

SOTD
  • RazoRock Mission
  • GSB (1)
  • Arko in a (used) tub
  • Stirling 2-band synthetic
  • WH w/menthol, LT, Stirling ASB
  • Vintage Osage Rub AS

Date: 08/08/2019
Razor: Maggard V3 / MR1
Blade: Voskhod (3rd use)
Brush: Omega 10066
Lather: Arko Stick
Bowl: Captain's Choice​

Well, I finally did Arko in August! It was fun, but Arko won’t be joining my regular rotation. I have pretty finicky oily skin with tough stubble. Also, I don’t use aftershave, simply an ice-cold water post-shave rinse, so I’m picky with the soaps I regularly choose to shave with. Onto my thoughts of Arko, likely the best bang-for-the buck shaving soap in existence.

Although the lather is incredibly slippery, the Proraso White and Green I’ve been using for months, both feel and are more protective for my skin. Also, the menthol in Proraso does a great job of preventing minor skin irritation and razor burn for me. I had a couple weepers too, which almost never happens with Voskhods and Proraso. This was likely from playing a little too fast and loose with the razor and also happens when I use other slippery soaps like MWF and Tabac, so I won’t blame Arko, but need to mention it because it happened, and usually doesn’t happen when I shave with Proraso.

The post-shave feel of Arko is on the moisturized side of neutral for me and more suitable to the cooler/drier months if I were to use it during this time. It should be noted that I experienced absolutely NO skin tightening or drying during or after the shave, which I do experience from Proraso White in a very minor amount, but disappears just a few minutes after shaving. I loaded Arko from a dish, then bowl-lathered in my Captain's Choice bowl to hydrate it properly before applying it to my face. I would not classify Arko as a drying soap and can attest from personal experience that ANY soap that is overloaded/under-hydrated will be drying. Case in point, when I was using Arko back in January, I had a lot of drying both during and after my shaves. Back then however, I was overloading ALL my soaps and Arko in particular, dried me out the worst. Operator error, 100%. Allergic reactions aside, Arko is NOT a drying soap.

This soap works as a stand-alone shave soap and for those with tougher/drier skin, presents itself as one of the best bang-for-the-buck items in wet-shaving. The scent also grows on you and isn’t a deal breaker for me. For my sensitive skin however, I need more TLC ingredients in my shave soaps and could not shave with Arko every shave. To those of you who can rock Arko every day in August, more power to ya and enjoy!

just bought my first stick of Arko today at Pasteur's Pharmacy. Also got a stick of Derby since they were right next to each other and both look very similar, i want to compare the 2.

Question from an Arko (and Derby) newbie here...what's the preferred method of opening the wrapper? Do you guys just tear the silver top off, or gently pry open the top flaps, or delicately peel the whole thing open along the side seam? A fullsize big stick like this is gonna last me a loooong time in my rotation so i'd like to be able to re-wrap it nicely.

Last edited:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Still using Arko, I’m actually enjoying using the one soap all month. I don’t have to make a choice in the morning just Arko and go. Being a shave before I shower person I don’t have the drying effects that some others have. Also I use a moisturiser on my face after I shower and spray cologne on my neck and chest. It is a great soap to shave with.

just bought my first stick of Arko today at Pasteur's Pharmacy. Also got a stick of Derby since they were right next to each other and both look very similar, i want to compare the 2.

Question from an Arko (and Derby) newbie here...what's the preferred method of opening the wrapper? Do you guys just tear the silver top off, or gently pry open the top flaps, or delicately peel the whole thing open along the side seam? A fullsize big stick like this is gonna last me a loooong time in my rotation so i'd like to be able to re-wrap it nicely.

I just tear off the silver top upon opening a stick.

I have had good results lathering by soaking the soap in a cup for a few minutes. Then I wet my face. Rub the stick in my whiskers then rub some more of it on my brush that's pre soaked. Then start face lathering away.

thanks, i'm already a stick user and face latherer, it's just my first time with Arko/Derby and the paper foil wrapper. I'll probably wind up getting some empty twist or push-up tubes for these. my La Toja & Speick came in nice handy containers and/or boxes.

I finally saw and smelled a stick of Tabac today, i don't understand why so many people hate that smell, i thought it was pretty nice (and i'll say the same for Arko also), will probably buy one around the winter time. And the Tabac tube container is really solid and heavy duty, the glass Aftershave bottle is surprisingly huge and heavy too.

Last edited:
Arko Gung-ho (all Arko, all August)
FoolishMortal
FarmerTan
mawashi
Cphobes
SpudWrench
James Darmody
bluesman 7
bjm
jj_sharp
Gaznix
fast shaver
meanpr
Brian C.
Billy T.
ajkel64
PeteVK
Squirrel
RumpleBearskin
MrMoJoe

Arko on the down-low (some Arko, sometimes)
Wtd1911
ksblazer
ftrez
Rosseforp
Whilliam
shave/brush
Ted A
Namkcakram
EB Newfarm
cyclingsteveb
psfred
ftrez
Sideways Tremolo
Haggises
BudgetShaverGuy
JayFromBrooklyn

Arko is a no-go (no Arko, no way)
HarryAU570
RayClem

Arko in Limbo (maybe?)
Goatlips

Agh! I had to skip my shave this morning so as to not miss my train. I'll definitely be shaving tomorrow though!

2 shaves in on Arko August, with much more product and water used today. Works wonderfully, except seems to leave a film on everything after rinsing. Will try using water from the filtered shower head instead.

Wanted to try my Feather Artist club razor to see if I could get it to shave any better. Did about 4 passes and still can't remove any whiskers hardly. Luckily I had plenty of Arko soap in my Semougue OC boar brush and did a couple of passes with my Fatboy to end up with a DFS.

So far this month all of my shaves have been with Arko stick. Hope to keep the streak going for the rest if August.

2 shaves in on Arko August, with much more product and water used today. Works wonderfully, except seems to leave a film on everything after rinsing. Will try using water from the filtered shower head instead.
A lot of soaps I use leave a film on after rinsing. Its nothing unusual.

Moving @ksblazer on the list, with the hope that he achieves the goal. :)

Arko Gung-ho (all Arko, all August)
FoolishMortal
FarmerTan
mawashi
Cphobes
SpudWrench
James Darmody
bluesman 7
bjm
jj_sharp
Gaznix
fast shaver
meanpr
Brian C.
Billy T.
ajkel64
PeteVK
Squirrel
RumpleBearskin
MrMoJoe
ksblazer

Arko on the down-low (some Arko, sometimes)
Wtd1911
ftrez
Rosseforp
Whilliam
shave/brush
Ted A
Namkcakram
EB Newfarm
cyclingsteveb
psfred
ftrez
Sideways Tremolo
Haggises
BudgetShaverGuy
JayFromBrooklyn

Arko is a no-go (no Arko, no way)
HarryAU570
RayClem

Arko in Limbo (maybe?)
Goatlips

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Had an absolutely wonderful shave last night. I found a used brush for a dollar at Goodwill, used Arko via face lathering, and my GSB gave me it's 41st! shave in my Gillette Tech from 1962. And BBS to boot!

I got a couple of unobtainium blades gifted to me by a member here that I will review when I return from my vacation. I'll post a beach pic here if I can figure out how to do it!

Just checking in.... Still rockin' the Arko. I've been experimenting with load times and getting good results. I find Arko to be a really enjoyable soap to use because of its cost and versatility. Some people complain about the scent, but I've decided to choose my soaps based on performance and leave the responsibility of fragrance to my aftershaves.

I had my first try with Arko this morning and it was great !!! This stuff is sliiiiiick slick slick. So slick i had to give my hands a few extra towel wipes so my brush & razor wouldn't slip outta them. And I have no problems with the scent at all. Even my wife likes it too, i asked her what she thought of it and she said that it reminds her of being on vacation at a nice hotel.

Fatip Piccolo- nickel with special gold gentile plate / Gillette Silver Blue (3)
Razorock Zenith- cherrywood Boar brush
Razorock- Acqua splash

Last edited:
Afternoon shave for the 8th of Arko August:

Frederick Reynolds "The Old English Razor" (7/8", near wedge)
Custom CRV in Silvertip
And, of course, Arko stick
IMG_20190809_160620-01.jpeg

Three easy passes on mountains of slick, protective lather. 36 hours of stubble just disappeared. Arko rocks!

Afternoon shave for the 8th of Arko August:

Frederick Reynolds "The Old English Razor" (7/8", near wedge)
Custom CRV in Silvertip
And, of course, Arko stick
View attachment 1006453
Three easy passes on mountains of slick, protective lather. 36 hours of stubble just disappeared. Arko rocks!

Arne, that a gorgeous razor, brush and mug but the ugly duckling is the Arko lol. No wonder it's 1/2 way hidded rofl.

Top Bottom