What's new

Arko August 2019

I only use 3 soaps and Arko is on top of my list:
Arko (pressed into my bowl)
Cella (kilo)
Williams

Strangely enough I’ve never bought a kilo of the 1kg cella, but it’s definitely a favorite. If I were a budget shaver that’s probably all I’d have paired with a cheap broken in boar and still as many straights and stones as I could manage.

Strangely enough I’ve never bought a kilo of the 1kg cella, but it’s definitely a favorite. If I were a budget shaver that’s probably all I’d have paired with a cheap broken in boar and still as many straights and stones as I could manage.
A kilo of Cella will last me well over 2 years. I started my 3rd kilo.

Thank you Tremolo. Is that Tremolo as in a harmonica? I play chromatic
Sideways tremolo is sort of a slang reference for a particular Gibson vibrato bar, the one here:
Splash-02.jpg
cool that you're a harp player. I've never really gotten the hang of that.

Had a lovely shave today with Arko. Just the second, as I was on vacation. Of course, that set me up nicely to use a new 7 O'Clock Black in my 1908 Single Ring to knock down a few days' growth. Everything performed admirably, as one would expect.

SOTD:
  • 1908 Single Ring
  • 7 O'Clock Black (1)
  • Arko in a (used) tub
  • Stirling 2-band synthetic
  • WH w/menthol, LT, Stirling ASB
  • Bay Rum AS

Aug5-19.jpg

Also...the list has been edited and updated. :)

Arko Gung-ho
(all Arko, all August)
FoolishMortal
FarmerTan
mawashi
Cphobes
SpudWrench
James Darmody
bluesman 7
bjm
jj_sharp
Gaznix
fast shaver
meanpr
Brian C.
Billy T.
ajkel64
PeteVK
Squirrel

Arko on the down-low (some Arko, sometimes)
Wtd1911
ksblazer
ftrez
Rosseforp
Whilliam
shave/brush
RumpleBearskin
Ted A
Namkcakram
EB Newfarm
cyclingsteveb
psfred
ftrez
Sideways Tremolo

Arko is a no-go (no Arko, no way)
HarryAU570
RayClem

Arko in Limbo (maybe?)
Goatlips
BudgetShaverGuy

Last edited:
Had a 3 pass DFS with Arko stick this morning. Even though I was only half awake while shaving.

So far all of my Arko shaves have been good one's. Don't expect to change.

I have been reluctant to commit, even if it's only to myself, to using nothing but Arko, but here is what is happening. I broke out the Arko August 1st. It is so damn good I have used nothing else since. I know you've heard it all before, but for me, no other soap lathers as easily as Arko. The lather I get from Arko and the resulting shave rivals that of any other soap I've ever used, regardless of cost; it's really just ridiculous. On top of that, I love the way it smells.

6 Aug 19
Razor:
Razorock Hawk V2
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (4)
Brush: 22mm Fendrihan Pure Grey Badger brush
Pre-Shave: Shower and Clearasil face wash
Lather: Arko stick – face lather
Aftershave: Oleo Soapworks Humanitas AS / Nivea cooling balm
Additional Care: Thayer’s
IMG_20190805_122236.jpg

6 August
Torrey 232 today (it's Torrey Tuesday)
Arko stick (it's Arko August)
Semogue 2040 HD Silvertip (just because)
IMG_20190806_063647.jpg

Day 6 of only Arko. I should probably be moved into the "gung ho" category. :surrender:

Next week should finish off my original stick. Thankfully I have a two-pack in the drawer just waiting to jump into the fray. Looking good for a full month of only Arko...

Day 6 of only Arko. I should probably be moved into the "gung ho" category. :surrender:

Next week should finish off my original stick. Thankfully I have a two-pack in the drawer just waiting to jump into the fray. Looking good for a full month of only Arko...

As you say, so shall it be...

I have been reluctant to commit, even if it's only to myself, to using nothing but Arko, but here is what is happening. I broke out the Arko August 1st. It is so damn good I have used nothing else since. I know you've heard it all before, but for me, no other soap lathers as easily as Arko. The lather I get from Arko and the resulting shave rivals that of any other soap I've ever used, regardless of cost; it's really just ridiculous. On top of that, I love the way it smells.

Welcome!

Arko Gung-ho (all Arko, all August)
FoolishMortal
FarmerTan
mawashi
Cphobes
SpudWrench
James Darmody
bluesman 7
bjm
jj_sharp
Gaznix
fast shaver
meanpr
Brian C.
Billy T.
ajkel64
PeteVK
Squirrel
RumpleBearskin
MrMoJoe

Arko on the down-low (some Arko, sometimes)
Wtd1911
ksblazer
ftrez
Rosseforp
Whilliam
shave/brush
Ted A
Namkcakram
EB Newfarm
cyclingsteveb
psfred
ftrez
Sideways Tremolo

Arko is a no-go (no Arko, no way)
HarryAU570
RayClem

Arko in Limbo (maybe?)
Goatlips
BudgetShaverGuy

I have been hesitant to use it as well (just so used to my Proraso Green at this point) but have been doing test-lathers in the mean time to make sure I have it right for when I actually use it. Just from the test-lathers alone, it's some pretty magical stuff for the price. It's super slippery, has crazy residual slip, loads almost instantaneously and has a very neutral post-feel to it (on the hands that is). The smell, once washed off, is a softer pleasant lemon pledge. The best soap I've used to date is MWF but that lather is not as good as Arko. It smells way better but takes way longer to load and lather properly. I won't know the post-shave feel until I use it though, fingers crossed. I don't use aftershaves so this will be the determining factor for me.

If it wasn't so hot and humid today I would've tried it, scheduled for 8-8 instead! Hoping to be in the Arko on the down-low club :D

Great Arko shave today.
Soap: Arko / 2 sticks grated and formed into a Stirling container
Brush: Yaqi
Razor: Rockwell 6C/Plate 4
Blade: Perma Sharp(2)
Aftershave: William Aqua Velva (Spanish)

proxy.php

Top Bottom