What's new

Arko August 2018

I'm doing it.

I've had a stick of Arko shoved into an old deodorant container for a while now. I tried using it that way, but I don't like applying the (dry) soap directly to my face, so I took it out and mashed it into my Seaforth mug.

I shaved with it yesterday and today, and I'll continue with it until it's gone, or until August is over - whichever comes first.

I don't much care for the scent - it's a bit like a lemon cleaning product - but that's not enough to put me off. The performance is excellent, with a lot of lather generated and wonderful residual (water-only) slickness left behind, which makes up for the scent. I think I'll experiment with "blooming" with a bit of Pinaud Clubman to change (cover) the scent and see how that goes.

Who's with me?

Look forward to hearing how it goes.

Unfortunately I like my rotation too much to use only 1 shaving soap for s full month.

Unfortunately my original Arko stick is just about done after 4 months of shaves. I’ll miss it, but I look forward to using new and different soaps and creams.

Yeah, if it were easy, everyone would do it! :D

If I don’t work my soaps this way, I just have too many partially-full containers laying around. I’m trying to go through what I have so I can justify stocking up on favorites. I also find that I really get to know a soap (or razor or blade) this way.

I will get through as much as I can, but you guys are right - there’s no way that I will get throug it in a month. I sure will make a dent, though!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
There are worse soaps than Arko ... it works, and works fine.

Shave on! Have a fine, lemony August.

AA

8772C0DF-37AC-4099-B7CF-B794C90D8798.jpeg
I just purchased my first stick of Arko. This post, plus the cheap price, and all the good reviews inspired. Me. I see what everyone means about the scent: lemon pledge/lemon dish detergent smell. I’ll try it on my next shave and see if I can do it all month.

When all else in my meagre shave den, soap wise, doesn’t float-my-boat/frost-my-bagel/turn-my-crank on a particular morning, I invariably reach for the stick of Arko.
Never lets me down, lathers like a devil and there’s always a good shave at the end. I don’t even mind the Lemon Pledge scent!
A week later I’ll switch to a more “upscale” soap.
Yet, like Michael Corleone in Godfather 3, everytime I think I’m out, Arko keeps pulling me back in.
I’m glad I sprung the twenty bucks or so years ago for a carton of twelve sticks...one of the best investments ever.

I'm really impressed by the shaves I'm receiving. It's getting easier to dial in the water ratio and the slickness factor is incredibly high. This is definitely a quality soap - even "blooming" the puck with a small amount of Pinaud Clubman did nothing to compromise the lather or slickness (but it certainly cut the "chemicalemon" smell). I'm hoping that leaving this out, uncovered, will let the scent mellow out a bit.

When all else in my meagre shave den, soap wise, doesn’t float-my-boat/frost-my-bagel/turn-my-crank on a particular morning, I invariably reach for the stick of Arko.
Never lets me down, lathers like a devil and there’s always a good shave at the end. I don’t even mind the Lemon Pledge scent!
A week later I’ll switch to a more “upscale” soap.
Yet, like Michael Corleone in Godfather 3, everytime I think I’m out, Arko keeps pulling me back in.
I’m glad I sprung the twenty bucks or so years ago for a carton of twelve sticks...one of the best investments ever.
I love that post. Thanks.

If I used nothing but that stick of Arko I'd probably still be using it in December -- I have 22 shaves on it already and can't tell it's been used yet.

Scent is a little strong for me (too much synthetic lavender, I think), but it shaves great. Wipe it over my wet face, lather up, shave, rinse.

I mashed a stick of arko into an old spice mug about 5 years ago and forgot about it..... it basically has no scent after 5 years of neglect. I think that I’ll dig it out, shred it and mix it with some Aqua Velva Ice Blue and let it sit over night. This will be fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just tried Arko for the first time today - it was generously included in a care package another member just sent me.

I really don't mind the smell at all - bright and citrusy, it is very appropriate for summer. Doesn't smell like pledge to me, which always smelled heavy, like lemon oppression. This smells more cheery, like a cold lemonade.

The slickness was great. Every bit the performer the TOBS I was using is. Great soap overall, and one I am happy to include in what is beginning to suspiciously look more and more like the beginnings of a shave den.

I mashed a stick of arko into an old spice mug about 5 years ago and forgot about it..... it basically has no scent after 5 years of neglect. I think that I’ll dig it out, shred it and mix it with some Aqua Velva Ice Blue and let it sit over night. This will be fun!
Right on - I like that plan!
I have a stick or Arco that I have only used once. What the hell, I’m in for Arko August.
Cool, welcome.
If I used nothing but that stick of Arko I'd probably still be using it in December -- I have 22 shaves on it already and can't tell it's been used yet.

Scent is a little strong for me (too much synthetic lavender, I think), but it shaves great. Wipe it over my wet face, lather up, shave, rinse.
So, does that mean you're in?
I just tried Arko for the first time today - it was generously included in a care package another member just sent me.

I really don't mind the smell at all - bright and citrusy, it is very appropriate for summer. Doesn't smell like pledge to me, which always smelled heavy, like lemon oppression. This smells more cheery, like a cold lemonade.

The slickness was great. Every bit the performer the TOBS I was using is. Great soap overall, and one I am happy to include in what is beginning to suspiciously look more and more like the beginnings of a shave den.
Same question. :)

Lemon Oppression would be a great band name - check this thread.

Might as well, unless I get tired of it. I'm trying to work off some soaps anyway, and August is as good a month as any.

I figure half a gram a day or less, and at that rate a stick of Arko will last at least six months for me, longer if I save the excess lather in a mug. I have twelve or 13 sticks at the moment, I will be retired before I use them all up if I use nothing else.

Top Bottom