What's new

Arko August 2018

Arko is the only soap that I have right now, so I may as well throw my name in here.

You know, at first I thought, wow that surprises me, but then I thought well he is kind of a minimalist. So it makes sense! Happy to have you sir!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe I'll jump in on this, if y'all don't mind. I've been using Arko for about 2 months now, and I love it. I got a pretty strong industrial soapy smell at first, but after a few days, the stick mellowed out and it just smells like soap now - maybe a strong Ivory soap. I never got any citronella from it. I love how easy it lathers, and my most aggressive razors seem to glide along nice and smooth.

I use an Old Spice mug to soak my brush in while I shower. When I'm ready to shave, I rub the stick on my wet face, wring and shake the brush out, then dip just the tips of the brush in the water and start lathering. I re-wet the brush tips several times and end up with enough lather for at least 2 passes, but I stop at 2.

I loved the puck of vintage Williams that I used earlier this year, and when I realized that ingredients list for Arko was really close to vintage Williams, I went ahead and ordered a 12 pack from Amazon. This one stick is going to last me at least another 2 months of not 3, so I'm pretty much set for the next few years. I only wished I had ordered one of the plastic shaving stick tube dispensers. I'll grab one the next time I order something else.

SOTD pic tomorrow...

Arko is one of my favorites soaps and I believe it's the easiest to use. When I was first trying to use shave sticks I couldn't quite get the hang of it to make a good lather. Then when I tried Arko it all came together for me.
It's very easy to use and I love the scent. I don't know why so many people complain about the scent. This is one of the best soaps out there.
I brought it out when I found this thread a few days ago. I'll try and stick with it for the month. Love it!

General Arko.JPG

I believe I'll jump in on this, if y'all don't mind.

<snip>

I only wished I had ordered one of the plastic shaving stick tube dispensers. I'll grab one the next time I order something else.

SOTD pic tomorrow...

The more, the merrier. Welcome!

If you don't want to wait on the shaving stick tube dispensers, you can repurpose an old glue stick tube or a deodorant tube. I prefer to load from a mug and face-lather, but there was a time when my Arko was in a Tom's of Main tube. Arko is malleable, so it can be mashed into just about any form.

Arko is one of my favorites soaps and I believe it's the easiest to use. When I was first trying to use shave sticks I couldn't quite get the hang of it to make a good lather. Then when I tried Arko it all came together for me.
It's very easy to use and I love the scent. I don't know why so many people complain about the scent. This is one of the best soaps out there.
I brought it out when I found this thread a few days ago. I'll try and stick with it for the month. Love it!

View attachment 902849
That's awesome. Welcome!

The scent just isn't especially "natural" to me, but it's mellowed out in the past few days. It's now quite pleasant...or maybe I've just gotten used to it. Either way, the performance is stellar!

Oh, and is that pretty razor I see a Mongoose, by chance?

Got a great Arko shave today!

The lather on my second pass was a bit wet, flinging foam and a bit dripping, so I went back to the tub I milled the stick into for more soap.

I finally understand what a great lather feels like. I lost none of the slip slidin away action of a slick wet lather, but I got some cushion and smoothness I have been missing up until now. I went from too dry to too wet, now I know what 'just right' feels like!

I don't know if I'm going to want to try my TOBS sandalwood after Arko August - this inexpensive little stick just WORKS.

That's awesome. Welcome!
The scent just isn't especially "natural" to me, but it's mellowed out in the past few days. It's now quite pleasant...or maybe I've just gotten used to it. Either way, the performance is stellar!

Oh, and is that pretty razor I see a Mongoose, by chance?

The razor is a General with a Weber Wave handle on it. One of my favorites.

I use Arko both ways, in stick form and in a puck. I enjoy it both ways but I do favor using a stick with any soap. Both methods work very well with Arko. It's an easy to use soap.

Gillette-Arko.JPG

I hadn't used Arko before this morning's shave for more than a year, and after using literally dozens of the latest and greatest soaps and creams since that time, I have to say it will come out of isolation more often! Really an excellent classic that easily holds it's own where it truly matters.

Great lather, great shave, great scen...no, wait... Great lather, and great shave!! [emoji106][emoji106]

Thanks for the inspiration from the thread!

I'll be taking my first work trip after the summer for work next week. I have not used Arko anywhere but home with my soft water. We shall see how it handles the hotels in Massachusetts and possibly Rhode Island next week.

I hadn't used Arko before this morning's shave for more than a year, and after using literally dozens of the latest and greatest soaps and creams since that time, I have to say it will come out of isolation more often! Really an excellent classic that easily holds it's own where it truly matters.

Great lather, great shave, great scen...no, wait... Great lather, and great shave!! [emoji106][emoji106]

Thanks for the inspiration from the thread!
Very cool. Mine had been in hibernation for at least a year and, honestly, my first experience with it hadn't inspired me. Then I mashed it into a mug and I'm seeing the light.

Welcome!

This morning's shave:
IMG_20180808_084409.jpg

1920 Gillette Single Ring
Personna Red blade
Rooney Pure Badger brush
Arko (of course)
Williams Expert Aqua Velva

proxy.php

Soap: Arko Velva
Brush: SOC Boar
Razor: J&R Dodge Juste Judicato
Strop: Vintage Red Imp Shell
Alum: RazoRock
Aftershave: Bravas Aftershave
Balm: Nivea Cooling ASB

This is my first shave with this razor in several years and the edge was still quite keen. I don’t shave with many Sheffield full hollows, I’m impressed with how little flexibility the blade has, as opposed to a German full hollow. YMMV Excellent late night BBS. Still loving the Arko, I’m so glad I pulled it back out!

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been Traditional Wet Shaving for a little over a year now and have just recently started using ARKO. It has become my #1 soap.

Ease of Lather = 10
Lather Density = 8
Scent = 6 (while not the best, I do like it)
Post Shave Feel = 7
Price = 10+++++

All in all an awesome soap. I pressed a stick into the bottom of my Captains Choice Bowl and will use it till its gone.

Another shave with Arko, another great shave. Arko is super easy to lather, but it does tend to leave my skin a little dry post shave.

I also used a German Wilki (a blade I didn’t get along with the first time I used it). The blade provided a decent shave, not super close though. I used plate 4 on my 6C. I may need to bump it up to plate 5.

Top Bottom