What's new

Arko arrives tomorrow! What have I done?!!!

After reading all 5 pages of this thread (tl;dr!!!), I’m surprised no one has an opinion on Arko, for or against. Come on folks, what do you really think?
:a29:
I'm afraid I cannot say anything good about this soap, so I better not say anything [emoji23]

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Let me please add an additional statement to my previous post:

Please read the sarcasm dripping between the lines of my comment. After reading all 5 pages of this thread (tl;dr!!!), I’m surprised no one has an opinion on Arko, for or against. Come on folks, what do you really think?

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
It's very inexpensive. Smell is ok...like soap with a very mild lemon scent. Lather is good...slick, decent protection. If you're looking for fancy, Arko isn't it. If you're looking for value for the money...Arko fits that bill well.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I like the scent. I'd be a user if it didn't dry out my skin. (And I have oily skin!!)
There is hope for me then. I'd love to have drier skin. I have Arko August or August of Arko or August Rush, or whatever coming up wherein Arko is my only soap for the month.

Looking forward to it. I don't mind the scent at all. It's like a strong Williams.

I just tried today, is not that bad, the smell stays in your face, but if you use aftershave the arko smell is gone, is a decent soap, cant complain for $5

Arko has been my bailout soap. When I need a quick lather, it's typically Arko. When I get a new brush, I use bath bar soap to start the break-in. Then it's on to Arko. I normally use a bowl to test lather new soaps. If I have trouble with the new soap, I whip up a bowl of Arko. This gives me a base to see if its the new soap or possibly something else. Sometimes I even add a little fragrance to my brush as I am lathering. Arko scent is not my favorite. But it's not so bad that I can't deal with it. The cost and availability are so reasonable that I don't feel bad when I use it this way.

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I have Arko August or August of Arko or August Rush, or whatever coming up wherein Arko is my only soap for the month.

The idea of a Fixed Four with Arko crossed my mind mid shave and I quickly shook it away. I couldnt do it. Its not that I mind the scent so much but it is fairly strong. Tabac almost had me dry heaving on the last two shaves in a Fixed Four with it and Arko smells stronger. I know I couldnt do it for a month straight.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
The idea of a Fixed Four with Arko crossed my mind mid shave and I quickly shook it away. I couldnt do it. Its not that I mind the scent so much but it is fairly strong. Tabac almost had me dry heaving on the last two shaves in a Fixed Four with it and Arko smells stronger. I know I couldnt do it for a month straight.
No one can Mike, no one. Not even me, I tried, and I love the stuff.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
No one can Mike, no one. Not even me, I tried, and I love the stuff.

It's all up to @Chandu now!

I have Arko August or August of Arko or August Rush, or whatever coming up wherein Arko is my only soap for the month.

tenor.gif

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Tabac almost had me dry heaving on the last two shaves in a Fixed Four with it and Arko smells stronger. I know I couldnt do it for a month straight.
Tabac is a scent I really like. I think I could do a month of Tabac. The month of Arko will be tough, not so much due to Arko, but I tend to get bored and want to use something else for variety.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Tabac is a scent I really like. I think I could do a month of Tabac. The month of Arko will be tough, not so much due to Arko, but I tend to get bored and want to use something else for variety.

I prefer the scent, smell? of Arko over Tabac. Tabac is too sharp and too....soapy smelling. It reminded me of the old soap my grandmother kept on the side of the old concrete double sink in her basement.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I prefer the scent, smell? of Arko over Tabac. Tabac is too sharp and too....soapy smelling. It reminded me of the old soap my grandmother kept on the side of the old concrete double sink in her basement.
My grandmother comes to mind to, but it reminds me of a purse or handbag she had. Not so soapy as tobacco and maybe a hint of leather and I don't know what else. I just know it works for me. Heck if I wasn't in lockdown, I'd get the AS to further carry on the scent.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
My grandmother comes to mind to, but it reminds me of a purse or handbag she had. Not so soapy as tobacco and maybe a hint of leather and I don't know what else. I just know it works for me. Heck if I wasn't in lockdown, I'd get the AS to further carry on the scent.

I didnt get a leather type note like so many others do. Nor really tobacco that I noticed, but maybe down deep I could detect it. To me, it just smelled like simple strong soap.

One thing about Tabac, it could take all the water I could use and it never lost its slickness. Not even as barely grey water. It was still nice and slick. I liked that. Not many soaps can hold that level of slickness with a comparable amount of water.

There are some things I have seen/heard a lot since getting into this hobby and joining this forum over a decade ago. One of the recurring things is ‘Arko has a strong smell and/or it smells bad’. In fact I originally got some as a freebie with a bulk blade order a few years back and was apprehensive about trying it!

But to me it just smells of (slightly) citrusy bar soap. The kind everyone used to have before liquid soap became the norm. Certainly the scent is not offensive to me and it is not very strong. I do find it to be a little drying on the skin though so I couldn’t use it everyday. I think MWF spoiled me a bit as I now don’t use anything else.

Top Bottom