What's new

Arkies

I was reading a post on hone suggestions for a newbie and someone suggested a combination Arkie, soft and black, as being all you need.
I got to looking around, at Dan's first, and if that is the only stone you'll need, it seems like that is a very reasonable option.
All you need might be subjective but...
I'm currently using a Norton set. I'm not amazed by it. I've lapped it twice and the 8k still seems to make the edge more dull. I'm now using Norton to 4k then a coticule and I'm pretty happy with that. I'm not using slurry, exactly. I've gone my own path using a bit of shaving soap in a dilocot method, then a diminishing pressure round.
The room for improvement now is the shave. It's nice, close and no irritation but it only lasts a day. Other times 4days and it's still OK. I've done it, so I know it can be done.
Back to Arkie... Is one combo legit? Dan's has a great reputation. Amazon is a few dollars cheaper for the same hone. Are they lapped the same? One drawback on an Arkie, imo, is they are a bear to lap... then burnish. Rumor is Dan's will send you one ready to go.
I'm restoring razors, not just a touch up.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Yes, that stone will do what you want. It will take more strokes doing a resto, probably lots more than using a synthetic at the lower end, but it will work. You will want to use oil (Smiths, Nortons, Ballistol, etc...) to keep from clogging the stone up with swarf.

Dan's stones you can use as is- they are flat. Others not so much and lapping an Arkansas is difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you 100% sure you're starting with a good bevel?

This is a good point. I would set bevel with a 1k-3k synthetic because it is consistent Naniwa Pro (chosera 1k, Shapton Pro 1.5k, Naniwa Pro 3k) then polish on the soft/hard Arkansas, but there are easier ways (synthetics)

I find that I have to be around 10k before I can use my surgical black ark to finish. I use Andis clipper oil on mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Closer to 90% [emoji6]
I still need to perfect my skills for sure. Especially with the coticule.

It might not even be your technique- if all you have is a 4k Norton for bevel setting, you just might not be maximizing the bevel. IIRC my Norton from 10 years ago, it takes a lot more time on that stone to set a bevel than most are willing to put in, and you can get better/quicker results with a different stone. Even a King 1K wouldn't be a bad idea, although you do have to lap those frequently. If you can get the Naniwa Pro or whatever they're calling the Chosera 1k these days, you'll love it.

I have a Norton 1k, 4k, 8k, coticule and a few mystery Nats. Rumored to be Thuri when I bought them. I just ordered a pocket trans ark to try to generate slurry on the "thuri"
It might not even be your technique- if all you have is a 4k Norton for bevel setting, you just might not be maximizing the bevel. IIRC my Norton from 10 years ago, it takes a lot more time on that stone to set a bevel than most are willing to put in, and you can get better/quicker results with a different stone. Even a King 1K wouldn't be a bad idea, although you do have to lap those frequently. If you can get the Naniwa Pro or whatever they're calling the Chosera 1k these days, you'll love it.
I have a Norton 1k, 4k, 8k, coticule and a few mystery Nats. Rumored to be Thuri when I bought them. I just ordered a pocket trans ark to try to generate slurry on the "thuri" I have a Norton 1k, 4k, 8k, coticule and a few mystery Nats that were rumored to be Thuri when I bought them. I just ordered a pocket trans ark to try to generate slurry on the "thuri".
I've never been too thrilled with the Norton 8k. I've lapped it a few times. It seems to do more harm than good.
I get the job done. Just not quite Nirvana yet.
Back to the original reason for the post... Dan's from Amazon about the same as Dan's from Dan's?

Thanks gents.

Well, I've been using a King 1K and a Norton Combination 4/8k for about two years. It's OK. I also have a Trans Arkie and a Surgical Black Arkie as finishers, go figure. I've been missing something. I just ordered a Shapton Kuromoku 1K, 5K, and a 8K. I've been keeping my other stones in a container with water and a splash of bleach all this time and it's been a pain. No space as I'm in a condo. So, the Shapton stones are splash and go so that will solve one problem. They are supposed to be pretty fast and since the bevel setting is the most important step, the Shapton 1K. Supposedly, the grit size on the 4k is the same as on the Norton 8K. Film at 'eleven!

Your trouble with the Norton 8K might be that you haven't lapped enough off the surface, some of these stones need to have up to 1/8 inch removed before you get to good a working surface. Not just a Norton problem either, I had one Naniwa that needed ALOT of lapping to become workable.

Your trouble with the Norton 8K might be that you haven't lapped enough off the surface, some of these stones need to have up to 1/8 inch removed before you get to good a working surface. Not just a Norton problem either, I had one Naniwa that needed ALOT of lapping to become workable.

That is especially true of the Norton 4K. One has to lap it under running water until the surface feels really slick.

Top Bottom