What's new

Arkansas Oil Yellowing

A few days back on the forum, I read a statement to the effect that vintage translucent Arkansas stones were yellow, as opposed to the current line, which is white. A subsequent remark questioned whether or not the stones were actually yellow or if the use of oil had yellowed them. With this in mind, I found the following picture of a vintage Norton Arkansas stone that was on the 'Bay yesterday fairly interesting, for it seems to reveal an oil line on the edge of the stone that shows how the oil yellows the stone, whereas the part of the stone that has not seen oil remains white.

$Arkansas natural combo.jpg

Last edited:

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I've certainly owned ones that started white and ended up yellow a decade or so later. The old Buck honing oil was red (I think it was probably automatic transmission oil) and tinted the stones over time too.

Cheers, Steve

I wonder if using mineral oil would help preserve the white color of the stones, seeing as how it's clear and all.

I wonder if using mineral oil would help preserve the white color of the stones, seeing as how it's clear and all.

I've wondered this as well. Or rather, I've wondered where the yellow comes from as introduced. Maybe Steve has it right about the transmission oil. I know I change the oil on the stone when the swarf build-up starts to look like an automotive transmission needing an oil-change.

Last edited:
Top Bottom