What's new

Arkansas Love...Let's see those Arks!

My only Arkansas stone as of now. I believe I got it from NWS.

Attachments

• 19AA96CF-FE47-4657-AC85-8C35C9766F21.jpeg
    19AA96CF-FE47-4657-AC85-8C35C9766F21.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 39
I thought arks were painfully slow. 😎

Haha! TBH I was worried about that when I got it, just from what some people say. But yeah... love it :)

It's easy enough to roll an edge when using for proper sharpening, but not too tricky when concentrating.

Does yours create a slurry the longer you hone with it?

Umm... I'm probably not expert enough to answer this q. and may use the words differently, but...

The slurry in the picture is just a shot I took a few weeks back for instagram to show that translucent arks can cut - it's swarf after using with water and soap. It's also a picture of the ura on a (very old) yanagiba. So before that the knife had been sharpened on the the other 'wide-bevel' side. Which means that a lot of metal had been in contact with the stone, which is why there's a lot of swarf. It maybe took 30 seconds to get to the picture.

Dunno if that in any way answers your q., and even if it does, possibly doesn't have much relevance to razor honing anyway (?)

Umm... I'm probably not expert enough to answer this q. and may use the words differently, but...

The slurry in the picture is just a shot I took a few weeks back for instagram to show that translucent arks can cut - it's swarf after using with water and soap. It's also a picture of the ura on a (very old) yanagiba. So before that the knife had been sharpened on the the other 'wide-bevel' side. Which means that a lot of metal had been in contact with the stone, which is why there's a lot of swarf. It maybe took 30 seconds to get to the picture.

Dunno if that in any way answers your q., and even if it does, possibly doesn't have much relevance to razor honing anyway (?)
Yeah its apples and oranges I guess.

Yeah its apples and oranges I guess.

Yeah I'm not sure how it'd translate to razors - I've never honed one. But the short answer is yes - it does create more slurry as you go on. But probably the most important thing I find for cutting ability is refreshing the surface slightly, which I do with a pass or two with a worn atoma. Though again - perhaps that might not be ideal for razors, as it gives an edge that still has a little 'bite' to it. Great for kitchen knives... less good (I imagine) for finishing razors.

Just a few notes
Special thanks to Kim at Dans
Please note, Dans box maker passed away, much condolences to his family as he was a master artist who made all boxes for them for many years
Was told they have new artisan inhouse making boxes and mine first to ship out
Extremely thick box, very neat good grain pattern on too box

Just fyi if any box lovers out there

Hey fellow shavers/ sharpeners,
What is best way to use, blk ark
So far used glycerin/ drops 8, 20x, awesome shave

Different razor, but same razor model,, 20x, 16x heal leading ( just learned how to do this)
Used attached 3-4 drops , hair shampoo, ( no dawn yet), [emoji23]

Excellent results, both shaves excellent,, added sharpness while smooth
2 shaves on edges from a Arkansas stone,,,,
I like the edges thus far, and love look and feel of this blk monolith monster

Also i rinse her off after each session then air dry the replace in box, if you rec a medium, how do you keep clean and store and use
Thx in advance

Taking all tips ,, [emoji3]
proxy.php

proxy.php

duke762

Rose to the occasion
Man R7 I'm really loving your big black Ark! Try some different lubes and see what you like. My thing is WD40. I haven't tried glycerine and water yet but plan to.

I find w/my black arks just dish soap and H2O to clean stone when used with oils or WD40.
One of my favorite mediums is Balistol + H2O, the more water in this mix the more aggressive the stone reacts.
Stone surface prep makes a difference for me also.

Frank

Reactions: Wid
I just wash it off with dish soap. There is very little absorption with a hard ark so it’s very easy to flip from oil back to water if I want to.

Same experience here. I had been using soapy water while honing on the counter. I’ve been moving to honing with stone in hand (mine is 8”x2”x1/2”) and for that I prefer 3-in-1 oil. Soapy water tends to dump off the stone pretty quickly, but a little bit of oil will make things slick and doesn’t drip off the edges of the stone. I just scrub with soapy water when I done after using oil.

Guys try this on black Arks,doliuted with water. Best of both world, sticks to stones and cleans up with soap. Great results.
proxy.php

Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk

Thx all,,, just tried using dawn dish soap,, yes dried up quickly, will test shave next shave

Smell honing oil from Dans, stinks yuk,,, dont think be using it, hate smell,,, i may try it

How do u use wd40, drops or just wd?

How also best way to use mineral oil i would think same

Good results this far with glycerin

This is a oil stone but want keep stone clean if possible

I have not lapped stone and shocked at initial results
Thx all

I've been trying a 10:1 water:Ballistol emulsion and while my results are garbage (that's on me) the stuff is satisfying to use, seems to wash up easily, and I don't mind the smell at all. I might try a similar glycerin concoction.

duke762

Rose to the occasion
How do u use wd40, drops or just wd?
Before I started buying it by the gallon, I would spray it from the aerosol can into a plastic squeeze bottle so I could use it by the drop. A little goes a long way on a Black/Trans Ark.

I like the smell of WD40 but I like it more with some essential oils in it. The Wife makes me use Rosemary because it's supposed to help my memory. A few drops per half pint has no effect on the honing process but a little aroma therapy is a good thing.

Last edited:
Vintage Washita and a couple different blacks. One from Dans and the other from NWS.

Attachments

• B798953A-C501-4543-85CF-89B9AFE9A298.jpeg
    B798953A-C501-4543-85CF-89B9AFE9A298.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 25
  • 47C3FD0E-10C3-4DBA-A3BB-2F9D09BAA6A4.jpeg
    47C3FD0E-10C3-4DBA-A3BB-2F9D09BAA6A4.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 25
Top Bottom