What's new

Arkansas Love...Let's see those Arks!

timwcic

"Look what I found"
A rescue from a few days ago. A 2x4 translucent alongside another 8” I had far a while. Both are transitioning stones, part Trans and part Black. Unique contrasts in color. Tagging along are two recent 8” pickups, a Bear Norton and a Pike Norton , both hard blacks

11E8C520-8317-477A-9054-4480DA4FE75F.jpeg
7C95EBDE-0E0F-4E09-85CE-57621D695D1A.jpeg
AEDB3144-EF63-4878-8A63-EF23AC6A11BD.jpeg
766626FD-CA85-44C9-8F17-9B8AE182733C.jpeg
ED9DB544-A78B-4045-94D7-C99BCF04A079.jpeg
24DF1650-39B6-4C56-89C5-DF76EA83B601.jpeg
4A3D1904-E5D1-4996-AF71-8D32C7EA27AB.jpeg

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Thanks, Tim. I am tempted to buy a 12x3x1 soft ark from dans so I’ll have a set. Looks like it would be about 140 bucks, which doesn’t seem bad to me for a stone that large.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
A pair of Arks that I found on a internet classified advertising site. A soft and a surgical black, 8x2x1 and as a bonus, a aluminum holder base. The SB is more Smokey than jet black. Has a slight sensation of grit. Has a ZIP Code so I’m guessing early 70s??? They are in low mileage condition, all edges are clean with no chips or flea bites
It’s dangerous being on lockdown with a laptop, PayPal, and spare time

0190D5B9-92D0-4F30-8452-C2C33FD5E6A4.jpeg
AD3169CE-288D-4FB5-AB36-75F20F981D6A.jpeg
441BC838-D1C1-4BD9-A4D2-300C52920A91.jpeg
518CB392-FAFC-455B-972A-594784885C5B.jpeg
A24091FF-40C2-4EF0-BE62-FBF406F79677.jpeg
2A48E25C-107E-4CAB-B207-2881BC17F7B0.jpeg

Last edited:

David

Very nice. Those War Eagles are great stones. You don’t see them very often.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Thanks @David I see them at the markets maybe once a year. Usually a knife or gun seller and at a stupid price. What I call a dealer being in love with with there merchandise

So what is the word on Hall Pro Edge Surgical Blacks for razors? I just knabbed one yesterday, a Grey/Black 8x2. I wanted to try an Ark for straight my straights as I have heard good things for the edges these put on a razor. Any thoughts on this vendor and stone would be appreciated. I will get some pics out once I get it.

there are different names for same/similar stone. i find surgical to be black/blue. if it is truly is ultra fine class. any way if its dark black or translucent black you will have a fine stone, the big issue is how well the stone was finished, how flat and how smooth. not all stones come ready to hone out of box. but these issues are serviceable.

Here is my black translucent from NaturalWhetstone.com I spent the better part of a day lapping and burnishing it, one side for razors and the other side for my kitchen knives. I use Norton sharpening stone oil on it because its clear,no odor and cleans up easily after use. Every time I use it the surface gets a little shinier and it leaves mirror finish on my blades and the shaves are just sublime. From what I have seen, the chances of getting one that is as hard as mine is about 1 out of 4 either new from Dans, NW, other vendor of new stone, or vintage even. When you get a really hard one, new and vintage are equal in terms of efficacy finishing. I wouldn't recommend using a stone that is shorter than 8x2 because they are a slow stone and even with my 10x3 pictured below it still takes an average of 50-75 laps to finish a good Sheffield razor and harder steel requires more laps imo. For cleanup after use both Simple Green and dish soap with water work well. Don't use warm/hot water as you crack your stone.

Top pic is dry and bottom wet.

10x3 ultra fine Black Translucent Arkansas Whetstone

2D78A574-A14E-415F-A141-27E4BD94A9FB_1_105_c.jpeg
72D7CF30-2CB6-41EB-800B-4B362C40987E_1_105_c.jpeg

Brother i have been honing for 3 years on FLAT STONES what’s your preference

Flat and convex are both great. I don't have a preference. I use both.

Convex ark has the benefit of you not having to lap it flat. It's crazy hard, and because it's convex, it won't dish in your lifetime.

But lapping isn't such a problem. for my pasted balsa, I just throw a sheet of sandpaper on the granite kitchen counter, hold it down and rub the balsa over it. when I feel like using my nani12, I just rub it a few times, before use, with an atoma 1200. also easy.

I was one of the first to buy one of Jarred's convex arks. Since then I"ve seen the massive arguments over them.

The controversy came from some allegations that the convexity is much better for honing than flat is. Jarred was just trying to sell product. Nothing wrong with that.

No. For our purposes, it does not hone "better". For the manufacturers in Solingen, because they have to hone thousands of razors, convex arks are an industry necessity. So all the razors you buy from there, have been honed on a convex, yes.

But brother, you are not honing thousands of razors.

Enjoy your flat.

Pretty Trans Black there.

You can use 6x2" just fine in my experience. Heck I've got a 1x4" that works and I've honed on a 1x3" before, when it was my only example of a trans black.

Would you want to go from a 1k to a trans black on a 1x3" stone? Probably not. But if you're going to 8k+, 6x2" isn't too rough, and 4x2" is manageable. Obviously a longer stone makes it a bit easier, but if my budget is $75 and my choice is a 6x2" trans ark or a 10x3" welsh slate? I'm going trans ark every time.

We

You can use 6x2" just fine in my experience. Heck I've got a 1x4" that works and I've honed on a 1x3" before, when it was my only example of a trans black.

Would you want to go from a 1k to a trans black on a 1x3" stone? Probably not. But if you're going to 8k+, 6x2" isn't too rough, and 4x2" is manageable. Obviously a longer stone makes it a bit easier, but if my budget is $75 and my choice is a 6x2" trans ark or a 10x3" welsh slate? I'm going trans ark every time.
Welsh slate not bein rude is rubbish a door stopper at best unles therss a way of using them I don't no

I've not tried the modern stuff that I can recall; but I've owned a good number of vintage Yellow Lakes and Lynn Ids, and while they're not bad stones, they'd be hard to recommend for more than what they tend to sell for ($20-50 for 8"+ sizes), and definitely not something I'd say should be a razor honer's first choice.

I've not tried the modern stuff that I can recall; but I've owned a good number of vintage Yellow Lakes and Lynn Ids, and while they're not bad stones, they'd be hard to recommend for more than what they tend to sell for ($20-50 for 8"+ sizes), and definitely not something I'd say should be a razor honer's first choice.
To me there like a 8k finish I have 2 of them

duke762

Rose to the occasion
I use an unknown slate before my Trans/Black. Just to clean up my bevels and apex from the Coticule. Finsh that blade to the best of your ability and then go all Arky with it.

Absolutely Ian! I’ had a 4x2 that was probably as hard as they come and a couple 5” over the years too as well a 6x2 or two.
We

Welsh slate not bein rude is rubbish a door stopper at best unles therss a way of using them I don't no
Not my favorite either but if I'd never heard of Arkies, coticules, Thuringians, or I just couldn't get my hands on one a Welsh slate and a pasted strop would make me very happy to have. I've used all kinds of finisher and have to say even as slow as they are, Arkies make for a world class shaving edge.

David

Here is my black translucent from NaturalWhetstone.com I spent the better part of a day lapping and burnishing it, one side for razors and the other side for my kitchen knives. I use Norton sharpening stone oil on it because its clear,no odor and cleans up easily after use. Every time I use it the surface gets a little shinier and it leaves mirror finish on my blades and the shaves are just sublime. From what I have seen, the chances of getting one that is as hard as mine is about 1 out of 4 either new from Dans, NW, other vendor of new stone, or vintage even. When you get a really hard one, new and vintage are equal in terms of efficacy finishing. I wouldn't recommend using a stone that is shorter than 8x2 because they are a slow stone and even with my 10x3 pictured below it still takes an average of 50-75 laps to finish a good Sheffield razor and harder steel requires more laps imo. For cleanup after use both Simple Green and dish soap with water work well. Don't use warm/hot water as you crack your stone.

Top pic is dry and bottom wet.

10x3 ultra fine Black Translucent Arkansas Whetstone

View attachment 1090746View attachment 1090747
This stone is defective. It clearly has an inclusion in the center. :hips:
ED455BF8-C56F-45BB-B38B-33FB5F119FFF.jpeg

Top Bottom