What's new

Arkansas Love...Let's see those Arks!

wwo!
HOw do they differ from 50's black nortons? And to the modern dans?

That would be a very long discussion.

One thing to note; Norton's hard Arks, black or otherwise, during the 50s were a mixed bag of tricks, all good but not all the same.
Modern Dan's black ultra fine are simialar to Preyda's surgical black, both are very good stones. but they have a different personality than similarly structured 'true hard' Black Arks from 'back in the day'. .
Compared to other super dense Arks, they have a different feel when lapping and under the blade too. Even when just handling the stone, you can tell there is something different about it. In a very general and highly subjective opinion sorta sense, these have a feeling that suggests a mashup of traits from two specific types of vintage black arks, with an added spin to spice it up.

That would be a very long discussion.

One thing to note; Norton's hard Arks, black or otherwise, during the 50s were a mixed bag of tricks, all good but not all the same.
Modern Dan's black ultra fine are simialar to Preyda's surgical black, both are very good stones. but they have a different personality than similarly structured 'true hard' Black Arks from 'back in the day'. .
Compared to other super dense Arks, they have a different feel when lapping and under the blade too. Even when just handling the stone, you can tell there is something different about it. In a very general and highly subjective opinion sorta sense, these have a feeling that suggests a mashup of traits from two specific types of vintage black arks, with an added spin to spice it up.
Gama

I read on here an old timer saying the old arks made a slurry? Ever see this?
Also the two stones in your photo has small white inclusions, are these a sign of the special mine they hail from?

Thank you
W

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Scott @life2short1971 had one of the prettiest translucent Norton’s I’ve ever seen that he said auto slurried. It looked like a stick of butter- no flaws or fissures. He’s on vacation right now (he’s always on vacation) but when he gets back maybe he can chime in.

Gama

I read on here an old timer saying the old arks made a slurry? Ever see this?
Also the two stones in your photo has small white inclusions, are these a sign of the special mine they hail from?

That was probably my post that you read. That story referencing oldtimers describing two types of black Arks, one like a gemstone crystal and the other that would slurry is from a thread in a blog on the net somewhere. I put more creedence/importance into the observation and description of different types of hard black Arks than the existence of slurry.

I suppose it could be possible that a super dense ark could possiblhy be comprised of an extremely friable microcrystalline silica. Perhaps a stone like that, if it existed, could slurry under a razor with typical use. Never saw or heard of a novaculite Arkansas stone like that. In an typical geological sense, the formation of a translucent ark would have surpassed the point where such qualities would be present in a stone qualified as 'translucent'.
But after having/using way more than my fair share of Arks, no super hard Arks slurried under a razor here.

The patterning in the 2 stones I posted above are similar, but not unique to this type of stone. Softer black arks can have identical markings, lines and a cloudy pattern too. The only unique visual character that I can isolate is a particular lustre at a given level of polish.

I’ve had new old that would slurry under just a razor with oil. I’d spend hours lapping and making the surface perfect only to have the stone lose its finish and would start with a very light granular sound that would just ramp up more and more as I used the stone. That would make a great edge for knives but no way I would put a razor to my face with that edge...

hi

I am watching an ebay auction for a BAD *** 8x2 tansluscent that is a PERFECT norton and trying to not buy!

I want this one, but it's already out of my range................

This spring has been good for stones in general. They bounced hard after last year. I’ve seen multiple lily whites around $200, arks up in the sky, and Normal sized Eschers in the $300-500 range

Dan's hard self slurry in white section of stone. It doesn't seem to crash the edge but I don't care much for it and the feed back is different.

If its making slurry on its own its not a good stone for razors especially as a finisher. I would ask for a replacement or refund.
It's not a finisher and it is mainly for knifes as a replacement stone for a Norton 313 sharpening system. From what I can gather it's not unique to this stone but probably all in this color pattern which is usually the case I think. Never be able to keep that stone flat either.

Ok gotcha. It sounds like it would be perfect for knives. It doesn’t have to be perfectly flat for knives unlike razors if your just using it freehand.
Its a good looking stone too.

David

DA04E3AA-5A70-4F67-A947-DB18C1558DA8.jpeg

Here’s a new one, a massive piece of black hard Arkansas. 12x3-1/8 and 1 inch thick. Light penetrates about 1/2” deep and it literally sings while you’re holding it in your hands. It’s lapped flat up to 400x SIC and ready for a test drive. I believe this is a Norton. It has a stamp on the side that reads:
Hard Arkansas-Made in the U.S. of A, the stamp is identical to the ones used on the later mined (70’s-80’s) Norton’s.

David

Top pic is what’s left of the stamp on my stone, bottom pic is from the 11.5” black norton that sold on eBay a few weeks ago
53530095-808F-410F-B9FB-D04BDC11AECE.jpeg
75A40CB0-BD51-4C1B-B218-A93A6AB8BFA4.png

Preyda did some big Arks not to long ago, I think they called them their professional series 12" x 3" x 3/4. One came up on the auction site not to long ago but it had a stock photo with a dealer that was less then perfect. Price was good but I couldn't confirm size or anything on the stone. I passed because I didn't need it but probably should have anyway.

Top Bottom