What's new

Arkansas Love...Let's see those Arks!

Anyone ever use rem oil on arks? I've been eyeing it and the CLP lately, but I've never had issue with mineral oil, I just clean it with dawn and soak it in sg if the dawn doesn't get it.

Just bought this on FB marketplace. It’s a 10x2x1 Dans hard. Didn’t really need it but man, I couldn’t pass it up. Looks like it could be translucent for most of its length.
62684B49-71E9-43DB-958D-B0E01D6913BE.jpeg

Beautiful stone. That's what all the true hard of his that ove seen look like, in about to have one cut in the next couple months.

I didn't realize Dan's had a hard and a true hard stone. The true hard being described as such on Dan's website.

"True Hard Arkansas stones are often referred to as Multi-Colored Translucent"

Should be one heck of a stone then.

An attempt at a mostly Ark progression today. After several tries concluded that my Shapton 2k cut a lot faster than my Smith Washita, However the Smith leaves a much nicer scratch pattern. So ended up running the 2k, Washita (rough side with WD40, smoother side with Norton honing oil), Dan‘s hard Ark with soapy water (only on one side since they seem equally shiny at this point) and Dan’s black Ark (with 3-in-1 oil on the matte side, North honing oil on the shinier side).

Today’s razors were a pair that were acquired somewhat recently and I had not honed before - the one with bolsters is a Clauss (Fremont OH) and the other is a Case Brothers (Little Valley NY)

653B5FDD-D186-471F-BB15-DEDA50F60F46.jpeg

An attempt at a mostly Ark progression today. After several tries concluded that my Shapton 2k cut a lot faster than my Smith Washita, However the Smith leaves a much nicer scratch pattern. So ended up running the 2k, Washita (rough side with WD40, smoother side with Norton honing oil), Dan‘s hard Ark with soapy water (only on one side since they seem equally shiny at this point) and Dan’s black Ark (with 3-in-1 oil on the matte side, North honing oil on the shinier side).

Today’s razors were a pair that were acquired somewhat recently and I had not honed before - the one with bolsters is a Clauss (Fremont OH) and the other is a Case Brothers (Little Valley NY)

View attachment 1323367
I've noticed on my smith's washita that if I hone on just water it's a lot faster and will eat some steel. I haven't had it too long but they seem pretty fine. Not a bad stone.

I've noticed on my smith's washita that if I hone on just water it's a lot faster and will eat some steel. I haven't had it too long but they seem pretty fine. Not a bad stone.

Do you use plain water or soapy water? I do want to try playing with the lubricant. The WD40 is my thinnest oil, I have some mineral oil that didn’t get into the mix yesterday that is thicker than the Norton honing oil as well.

Do you use plain water or soapy water? I do want to try playing with the lubricant. The WD40 is my thinnest oil, I have some mineral oil that didn’t get into the mix yesterday that is thicker than the Norton honing oil as well.
Plain water or dry cuts fastest, oil will make it finest. Glycerine or soapy water falls somewhere in between. I haven't tried wd40 but I've been thinking about trying rem oil.

Wel
I didn't realize Dan's had a hard and a true hard stone. The true hard being described as such on Dan's website.

"True Hard Arkansas stones are often referred to as Multi-Colored Translucent"

Should be one heck of a stone then.
Welcome to sharp city! That’s one hell of a runway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wid
I have a couple of old Norton Hard translucents, but generlly don't have as much knowledge and experience with Arks as I might do some other stones. Can someone tell me about the colours in hard Arks... Do they affect them at all? What do we think of this wee slip stone? Should I buy it because it's a looker? Or avoid for the same reason? Is it likely to be as hard and fine as a white translucent, or a different kettle of fish entirely?

It's not the cheapest thing in the world at around $40 US, but it is very pretty...

(Apologies for the quality of the website picture).

Screenshot 2021-09-12 231654.jpg

I have a couple of old Norton Hard translucents, but generlly don't have as much knowledge and experience with Arks as I might do some other stones. Can someone tell me about the colours in hard Arks... Do they affect them at all? What do we think of this wee slip stone? Should I buy it because it's a looker? Or avoid for the same reason? Is it likely to be as hard and fine as a white translucent, or a different kettle of fish entirely?

It's not the cheapest thing in the world at around $40 US, but it is very pretty...

View attachment 1326960

I would probably pass at 40$ since it is a slip stone, but the yellowish/orange color is kind of rare and cool looking.

Can someone tell me about the colours in hard Arks... Do they affect them at all?

White, black, pink, purple, grey, butterscotch, etc. Many colors. And you know what it means when it comes to sharpening/honing - - - nothing at all. Seriously. But they can be aesthetically pleasing for sure.

What it can do is sometimes help with ID but not much more than that.

Slip stones and the tiny lots - they are great stones very often. I find them with little razor utility. Just too small for me to feel comfortable when I use them mainly. Funny thing is that I use the A LOT with really big chisels and gouges :) I think the very small sizes allows for very very good stone selection that is much harder in an eight inch size for example. But for tiny stones they can select all sports of pure and excellent veins. I love them and buy them when I see them at a good deal. I even have a modern Norton trans slip set. Tiny but super nice working cutting very fast and very fine.

Interesting to me is that no one on this site ever discusses the modern Norton translucent stones. Much about
Dan’s (love em!) and other mines but nothing about modern Norton trans.

My little norton slip stone is and

View attachment 1326960
Those norton slip stone are and will continue to be one of my favorite finishers/ pre finisher- if I go with the black ark to finish. I think they're fantastic.

Top Bottom