What's new

Arkansas Love...Let's see those Arks!

It is. Slip stones are a good value IMO.

Definitely! I have a couple and they're great :). Just used a little Idwal slip on a knife about ten mins ago, and it's a cracking stone, for all of £8.

Q. if you don't mind... do you mount them to get them level? Or use just as they are?

1EE46A8E-2A62-4204-8C4E-9CF3D942B8CD.jpeg

Never an easy task, but can result in a really decent edge.
All from Jonathan Coe:
Top-Dota Creek
Middle-Bethesda Black
Bottom-Arkansas Grey
Yes…they require time and effort.

Reactions: Wid
Q. if you don't mind... do you mount them to get them level? Or use just as they are?

4AB649E8-2A9B-4A93-AEFE-39180DFFB29B.jpeg18882D3B-D85E-4174-B209-DB53F9179338.jpeg9F4ACE39-7EB6-4A7B-B615-126A9056CBC8.jpeg

This thing is so fine it barely works :) But nice little butterscotch translucent. This one came with its box and I put a little strip of suede to level it off for non-slip type uses. But like I said, this this is so fine I almost have no uses for it. I guess I could scratch it up and give it some bite but I have plenty of stones so not much point in that either. Somewhere I have a more contemporary black trans mounted similarly so it is flat in the box but can find right now.

Last edited:
Not 100%, but I believe that is a slip stone. HS4=hard slip 4 inch. Nothing wrong with that, just a different shape
Ive got an antique smiths hard 4x2 and i really like that size for finishing. I do short, fast, smooth, toe leading strokes from the right side corners to the opposite. I use a fairly decent amount of pressure if it's going slow(usually carbon steels) and i finish with a feather touch and my blades shave silently with 0 irritation. I used to finish with a 1x3 translucent. I got a 6x2 mostly translucent(marked fine) and i like the small "hard" better, it's just as smooth. I look forward to trying out the 4x2 norton translucent. I don't know if ive ever used a norton stone. I grew up using smith's, Dan's, and genetic arks(some made locally by folks i know, grew up in the arklatex). I was only even mildly aware that stones other than novaculite were even used as homes and i wasn't aware of 1/100th of the synthetics around. Ive got a lifelong love of(and practice with) quality arkansas stones. Pepper say they're slow but until a couple years ago i just thought honing was a time consuming pursuit in general but one that pays dividends!
"If i was given 8 hours to chop down a tree, i would use 6 sharpening my axe."- Thomas Jefferson(also seen it attributed to Washington, dunno, fantastic quote).

Jon has some nice stones. How do you like the Grey Arkansas?
It is a very capable finisher. It falls behind my Zulu Grey, La Lune, and Vermont Green Slate, but really shines when followed by a few passes on a pasted (Veritas) leather strop. 😉

Definitely! I have a couple and they're great :). Just used a little Idwal slip on a knife about ten mins ago, and it's a cracking stone, for all of £8.

Im going to fire a little ceramic stand for mine to sit on to keep it level. I have a river stone i finish knives on that shaped exactly like a slip stone and i use it in hand and it works great. I tried my new washita for the first time and finished on that river stone in hand and i don't know if my pocket knife had ever been sharper than this morning. That washita cuts but it's super hard and fine. I had never used one before. I love it and i want a soft and a fine lily whites now.

It's like 7 5/32x1 29/32x1 5/32 and it is sort of cut slightly lopsided in both axes. It didn't show any signs of upkeep or heavy use really besides the dings. It seems sloppily dimensionally for norton.

duke762

Rose to the occasion
Oh Boy I'd like to try that! I'd like to know if you can feel the transition while honing.

I read somewhere that when choosing a natural sharpening stone that boring is better.
Maybe slightly better for the blade but an interesting stone is much better for the honer.

Just got these out of the mail, bought them for my son. They were in an old cabelas arkansas honing kit. The grey one is supposedly hard but it isn't much heavier than the soft. I need to check density on them. Im sur they'll make fine pocket knife and tool stones. Ive never seen that patterning and those colors before. 20210728_163413.jpg20210728_175342.jpg

I ordered this from dans day before yesterday, supposed to arrive this afternoon
5.50x4-Translucent-EndView.jpg5.50x4-Translucent-SideView.jpg5.50x4-Translucent-BackView.jpg5.50x4-Translucent-FrontView.jpg
Ive got a brick pile of arkansas stones forming in my kitchen that probably needs to be addressed, in glad in moving into a house soon. I need a workshop.

Attachments

• 5.50x4-Translucent-EndView.jpg
    5.50x4-Translucent-EndView.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 18
  • 5.50x4-Translucent-SideView.jpg
    5.50x4-Translucent-SideView.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 17
  • 5.50x4-Translucent-BackView.jpg
    5.50x4-Translucent-BackView.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 15
  • 5.50x4-Translucent-FrontView.jpg
    5.50x4-Translucent-FrontView.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 18
Here’s a few bay pieces that I picked up for a quite reasonable amount here recently. From left to right is a 4 x 2 x 1” Translucent, next is a 4 x 2 by half inch black semi translucent, and finally we have a 4 x 2 x 1” Black Arkansas Stone.

Attachments

• B111C309-C1CC-49A5-AB14-B32A090C181D.jpeg
    B111C309-C1CC-49A5-AB14-B32A090C181D.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 17
Here’s a few bay pieces that I picked up for a quite reasonable amount here recently. From left to right is a 4 x 2 x 1” Translucent, next is a 4 x 2 by half inch black semi translucent, and finally we have a 4 x 2 x 1” Black Arkansas Stone.
Those are my favorite sizes. I got the stone in the post above yours and i usually finish on a old norton translucent slip stone or a 4x2x0.5 vintage smith's translucent both just labeled "hard arkansas". I like to pace around while i hone. Those are awesome stones and they'll last forever if cleaned and cared for. Part of the reason i constantly buy hones, tools, hunting/fishing gear, invoices, razors, ect... is so i can pass it to my kids and they'll have heirloom quality stuff to pass on my grandchildren some day. I also spend lots of time teaching them to use them all as well.

Top Bottom